Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Astro7 wrote: »
    Anyone know which beam is being used at the moment for the Ka Sat tests….
    http://www.satbeams.com/footprints this site has a footprint over Ireland on beam 17 and 24 ?

Beam 24 (GW4) is the Tooway internet beam. Beam 17 over Ireland seems to be intermittant on the satbeams maps, constant for southern Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭satwyn

dbcool wrote: »
    thanks for the link been looking for weeks for a ka band lnb managed to buy for $25 hope it arrives soon so i can try the soarsat signal here in north wales

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Glenelly My Home

watty wrote: »
    no.
    Thanks Watty, a third dish will be needed then

well the hughes ka band lnb arrived today one hour ago and now i have soarsat up and running on a spiderbox blind scan and there they are signal 66% quality 28% seems stable using channel master 1.2m will try a 1m version when I get the time frequency display is 11.185 symbol rate 24992 the lnb was mounted horizontal

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Astro7

Satwyn…What part of the country are you in ?… I have the same dish here with 78% signal and 42% quality on a Technomate 6900 HD with a Wildblue TRIA The signal does drop a lot with heavy rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

According to his posts, he's in north Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Astro7

That seems to be a good signal….location here is Bray Co. Wicklow.

yes correct north wales near the coast irish sea my signal is 68% constant but with a tweak the quality is now on 50% my meter has broken so not able to maxamise the signal took only a few muinites to lock onto the signal with a spiderbox 7000 set on blindscan looks like the tight footprint is not that tight i only used a small 1.2m channel master dish but had a 1.8m precision prime focus to try if the 1.2m did not do the job probably a smaller 1m dish would also work will give it a try when i get time

Astro7 wrote: »
    Satwyn…What part of the country are you in ?… I have the same dish here with 78% signal and 42% quality on a Technomate 6900 HD with a Wildblue TRIA The signal does drop a lot with heavy rain.
    as the receivers and lnb's are different no true comparison can be made and i have no technomate receivers to try at this time also i'm using the hughes lnb

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sourpuss

Well done in north Wales,thats good progress and great for others to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

Back to the good old days, with BIG dishes : :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

satwyn wrote: »
    well the hughes ka band lnb arrived today one hour ago and now i have soarsat up and running on a spiderbox blind scan and there they are signal 66% quality 28% seems stable using channel master 1.2m will try a 1m version when I get the time frequency display is 11.185 symbol rate 24992 the lnb was mounted horizontal
    Well done Shadwell (sorry satwyn - the only sat enthusiast in the village! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjUK8YsGmE).
    Interesting that you are picking up the signal already, but maybe it's because there is no competing signal over GB?

fat-tony wrote: »
    Well done Shadwell (sorry satwyn - the only sat enthusiast in the village! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjUK8YsGmE).
    Interesting that you are picking up the signal already, but maybe it's because there is no competing signal over GB?
    thanks for the comment fatboy sorry fat tony as for competing signal over the uk i think the uk signal will be a differenf frequency

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Apogee

We should also take into account the very robust FEC of 1/2. The error correction might not be so high when the service goes live, and fringe reception may then become more problematic. Just look at what the BBC did with the HD channels recently when they opted for FEC of 8/9.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

satwyn wrote: »
    thanks for the comment fatboy sorry fat tony as for competing signal over the uk i think the uk signal will be a differenf frequency

East Scotland Spot and Calais French spots are same frequencies as Irish Spot. Potentially.

i have s 70% q 70% and not really alligned the dish tried a scan on both 1/2 and 1/3 fec both gives a picture i probably would be able to receive the signal ok on a 70=80cm dish maybe even smaller with a proper lnbf i'm not bothered if the service is not available here just wanted to give it a go as i do with many other sat signals in c and ku

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭John896

Any ideas where i could buy one of the hughes ka lnb,i want to test the signal here in Swansea.

could possibly get you 1 and cheap swansea should be no problem with the right dish size but i can't guarantee the signal in your location

Hi satwyn,
    I would like to try the ka lnb on my 1.2m and 2.4m dish.

John896 wrote: »
    Hi satwyn,
    I would like to try the ka lnb on my 1.2m and 2.4m dish.
    don't think the 2.4 would be needed i got my lnb from e bay over in texas but the seller told me he has another if i need it pitty he did'nt tell me before could have saved on postage if what make dishes do you have ?

• Advertisement

Both the 1.2m and 2.4m are channel master dishes.

sourpuss wrote: »
    Hi everyone,I have a comag SL40HD sat receiver getting the channels from 19 degrees.I have a detailed 7 day epg on nearly all the main german channels.Does anybody know if connected to 9 degrees to receive Saorsat in the future will it get the 7 day epg for the Irish channels.

Assuming RTÉ stop arseing about with the EPG stream like the they are on DTT, then yes.

satwyn could you get me a ka lnb not that bothered,on the price as long as i get one.

John896 wrote: »
    satwyn could you get me a ka lnb not that bothered,on the price as long as i get one.
    i'll try but can't promise the person i got mine from said he had 2 said he will list the other one on e bay but i'm still waiting

Many Thanks Apogee and satwyn.

ZG3409 is the resident expert on Tooway equipment. From what's he has posted ideally you need to the two-cable RM4200N-010:model. If you have the single-cable RM4100N-010 model, then it's much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

byte wrote: »
    That's interesting. I don't think the Humax does this.

On the flipside, does the Sagem allow for simple DiSEqC switching?
    I have to add a clarification about the Sagem freesat HD box, while the channel list does indeed add non-freesat channels from 3000 onwards, you can't type e.g. 3001 to access ITV1HD or Sky News etc. You have to use the channel list to access it!

• Advertisement

kasat_foot.jpg

Beam number|Beam color| Symbol rate| Center frequency| Polarization
    1| Blue| 50| 19.73125| RHCP
    2| Orange| 50| 19.99375| RHCP
    3| Purple| 50| 20.11875| LHCP
    4| Green| 50| 19.85625| LHCP

A third TP is now active, most likely data, at ~19995MHz.

kasat_tp2.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement