Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB in Ireland: RTE multiplex closed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

BB, indeed, it'd be grand for Irish or UK DAB services. I can get the BBC services in my car at various spots along the N11 so I don't see why you won't get them where you are.

Just make sure you got a radio with an external antenna connector. Most Pure radios do (F connectors) with the exception of the Sensia.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭tlaavtech

Is the DAB Trial in the sout-east still running? I finally took the plunge and bought a Pure One Mini - only to find that if I want to use it outside I have to pay the same price again for the battery pack :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes. But has the service a future?
    Without using same bit rate as today's MP2 on AAC is the quality worth it?

... but I like my toys and it was the only one I didn't have :D

Have you a Worldspace Radio, A German 19.2e Analogue era Satellite Radio, a BSB Squarial and an Apple Lisa?

:D

I was tempted years ago to get a Hitachi Worldspace. And tempted to get a radio with DRM, DAB, LW/MW/SW and VHF-FM

But I'll wait. The Sony ICF2001D is nice for Broadcast and the FT817ND nice for R/T. I think D-Star makes DAB look like a good idea.

• Advertisement

OK, so saying "the only one..." was not quite accurate :).

I do have a HD-DVD player and 30 discs, but they were bought after it bit the dust 'cause the discs were €4 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

This is nice! Who needs broadcast radio, when you can access all that the world has to offer!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-Stream-Stereo-Internet-Speaker/dp/B002VEN10O/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

Sadly, the BBC/Digital1 DAB offering isn't all that special. There really isn't much on Digital1 to listen to, with the exception of Absolute and it's variants. Smooth if you like low energy music I guess!

The DAB pick up on this is great, even with it's telescopic aerial (no external F connector) but there are other later models, but the screen on this is in a nice place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

tlaavtech wrote: »
    Is the DAB Trial in the sout-east still running? I finally took the plunge and bought a Pure One Mini - only to find that if I want to use it outside I have to pay the same price again for the battery pack :(

Yes. The year must be up soon.

Their coverage map says you will receive it no problem.

http://www.totalbroadcast.net/DAB.html

I am not sure where Andy Linton gets the time to run a DAB Mux, a temp FM & AM station and run a business!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The trial licence has been extended for another year.

A.

STB wrote: »
    Yes. The year must be up soon.

Their coverage map says you will receive it no problem.

http://www.totalbroadcast.net/DAB.html

I am not sure where Andy Linton gets the time to run a DAB Mux, a temp FM & AM station and run a business!

Well I probably wouldn't, were it not for my business partner Andy Green and our project manager Brendan Kehoe, both of whom do more work on the DAB project than I.

A.

• Advertisement

Be interesting to see what coverage this has
    http://www.reghardware.com/2011/02/10/review_nokia_dab_headset/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

alinton wrote: »
    Well I probably wouldn't, were it not for my business partner Andy Green and our project manager Brendan Kehoe, both of whom do more work on the DAB project than I.

A.

In jest Andy! :)

I know, but others might not have copped it!

:)

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭dellWlan

i've got a vita audio r2 which i've been using as an fm radio for a while in ennis. when i got it there was no DAB down here, well it seemed to pick up station names but all of them had no signal?? wasn't sure there would be now either but tried it and to my surprise i picked up 23 stations. the problem is not all of them are working and i was just wondering why.

The info i'm getting of the display is

RTE Radio 1
    RTE RnaG
    RTE Lyric
    TRTE
    Radio 1 Extra
    RTE 2FM
    RTE 2XM
    RTE Choice
    RTE Gold
    RTE Pulse

all RTéNL DAB Mux1
    all working fine

RTE Sport DAB
    RTE Junior DAB
    RTE News Heads

all DAB Ireland Mux1
    all signal n/a

Spin1038
    TodayFM
    DAP All 80's
    DAP Mocha
    Dublin's 98FM
    Dublin's Q102
    FM104
    Newstalk 106-108
    Phatom 105.2
    Radio Kerry

all DAB Ireland Mux2
    all signal n/a

so i'm wondering why do the ones that do work, work? I haven't seen a coverage map showing ennis getting anything. is it a by-product of DTT or something being fired up at woodcock hill or maghera?
    why are sport junior and news not on RTéNL? Do they only broadcast at certain times so i'll only get them when they're on air.
    What's different about DAB Ireland Mux1&2 that i don't get them?
    If it's a DAB+ thing? (unlike later vita audio products the r2 doesn't have dab+)
    If it's a DAB+ thing why do i get any info at all?
    If it's not a DAB+ thing how come i get stations with no Signal????

The mux 2 services are long gone to my knowledge, is your receiver working off an old scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭dellWlan

i did a full scan, whether or not it just adds to anything it picked up before or starts afresh i don't know. i did a scan the day i got it in dublin at least a couple of years ago and i haven't done a factory reset of the radio since.

just did a factory reset which rescans and i'm down to 10 stations in total. RTE Chill replacing TRTE. all RTéNL mux. all working.

the query as to how i'm getting anything is all i'm curious about now. not that i'm complaining. has woodcock hill been upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

dellWlan wrote: »
    the query as to how i'm getting anything is all i'm curious about now. not that i'm complaining. has woodcock hill been upgraded?

Woodcock Hill has been transmitting DAB Radio since Mar 2008. Mux 2 was switched off in Nov 2008. Mux 1 entered official service in mid Dec 2008.

alinton wrote: »
    The trial licence has been extended for another year.

A.

talkSPORT and Radió Rí-Rá have recently joined the South East mux and this weekend will be the last weekend that Zenith Classic Rock is on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭david23

bkehoe wrote: »
    talkSPORT and Radió Rí-Rá have recently joined the South East mux and this weekend will be the last weekend that Zenith Classic Rock is on air.

That's interesting - are talkSPORT's live English Premier League football commentaries being broadcast or is the service off-air during these matches?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Either the RTE mux is off air tonight, or my aerials fallen off the attic room wall...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

MYOB wrote: »
    Either the RTE mux is off air tonight, or my aerials fallen off the attic room wall...

OK from Woodcock Hill.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was back by 7am.

Was definitely down hard on the east coast as I'd get signals from CC, 3R and Kippure here with the attic aerial and was getting nothing.

RTE 2XM has recently appeared on the South East DAB trial, running in 72kbit DAB+.

Manx Radio TT, from the Isle of Man, carrying programming from the TT Races, has appeared on the DAB mux in the south east.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

so whats the current story with DAB coverage - is it still just the 3 RTE sites (the map on their website is from 2008)?

anyone successfully receiving in the Greystones area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

loyatemu wrote: »
    so whats the current story with DAB coverage - is it still just the 3 RTE sites (the map on their website is from 2008)?

anyone successfully receiving in the Greystones area?
    Off the top of my head, the sites are...

* Three Rock (Co. Dublin)
    * Clermont Carin (Co. Louth)
    * Kippure (Co. Wicklow)
    * Spur Hill (Co. Cork)
    * Woodcock Hill (Co. Clare & Limerick City)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

As far as I'm aware Kippure is blocked to the south. No idea of the logic, and maybe Greystones might be ok, but I couldn't get it up in the mountains, while analogue TV and radio and DTT booms in from Kippure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I didn't think Kippure had DAB at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Woodcock Hill does it cover all of Co. Clare as well as Limerick City or just parts of Clare?

• Advertisement

Kippure has DAB but it's quite directional and doesn't cover the East coast.

Woodcock Hill doesn't cover anywhere to the North.

Greystones does receive RTE DAB but not very strong. The BBC multiplex from the UK is stronger in many parts! ;)

And seeing as various RTE DAB transmission sites were mentioned, the private South East trial multiplex shouldn't be overlooked, carrying 12 channels of DAB and DAB+ programming. Transmission sites in the Blackstairs mountains and Waterford city.

Advertisement