Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you wish were common knowledge.... but aren't!

15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

stops.jpg

This means stop!
    Not "Drive straight through me", "Try and hit me with your wing mirror", or anything to do with saluting hitler.

Take heed motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

jt123456 wrote: »
    stops.jpg

This means stop!
    Not "Drive straight through me", "Try and hit me with your wing mirror", or anything to do with saluting hitler.

Take heed motorists.
    Thought he was waving at me

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Back on topic.... (not giving out)

Just because its not your car, you sent off the log book, its a work vehicle, etc.

YOU STILL NEED TO DISPLAY A TAX DISC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Alpha Papa

HI Their..

Im new here and have an interest in the ES primarily policing but have been a long time vistor first time poster.. I have always wondered somethings but if a Garda stops a vehicle for speeding and issues the driver a (FPN) Fixed Penalty Notice or equivialant without the aid of ANPR/Dashmounted camera, how does the garda prove the driver was speeding? As there no video evidence?

Is it a simple matter of the gardai simple has power to say "I seen you speeding and gives the ticket"

Hows does it work? Always wondered never really knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Alpha Papa wrote: »
    HI Their..

Im new here and have an interest in the ES primarily policing but have been a long time vistor first time poster.. I have always wondered somethings but if a Garda stops a vehicle for speeding and issues the driver a (FPN) Fixed Penalty Notice or equivialant without the aid of ANPR/Dashmounted camera, how does the garda prove the driver was speeding? As there no video evidence?

Is it a simple matter of the gardai simple has power to say "I seen you speeding and gives the ticket"

Hows does it work? Always wondered never really knew.

When a person is stopped for speeding, best practice is to make the driver aware of the speed limit on that part of the road where the speed check is done and then show the driver the speed detected on the laser gun.

At court if it goes that far the oral evidence of the Garda is sufficient.

• Advertisement

TheNog wrote: »
    When a person is stopped for speeding, best practice is to make the driver aware of the speed limit on that part of the road where the speed check is done and then show the driver the speed detected on the laser gun.

At court if it goes that far the oral evidence of the Garda is sufficient.

Thanks NOG, But what if your driving behind a car that speeding how do you know if he/she is if you have no camera i.e following behind/visually noticed speeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Alpha Papa wrote: »
    Thanks NOG, But what if your driving behind a car that speeding how do you know if he/she is if you have no camera i.e following behind/visually noticed speeding?

Well I believe the new ANPR can measure the speed of a vehicle in front. For a Garda to stop a driver with an estimated speed in his mind is fairly dodgy unless the driver is going way over the limit that would constitute dangerous driving. Then an estimate of the speed being done can be given in oral evidence but the should stress to the judge that it is an estimate except if the patrol car speedometer has been calibrated

Thanks for the informative reply NOG. Clears it all up.

One more question but how do you embed photos on this thread?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

For members on probation:
    If the car has no insurance disk, and the tax disk has "exe" written on it, giving it a ticket will be very bad for your career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Did ya learn that yourself the hard way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

For members on probation:
    If the car has no insurance disk, and the tax disk has "exe" written on it, giving it a ticket will be very bad for your career.

What does that mean?
    Is it a government ministers car? Or maybe an embassy car, I know they had CD in the number plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Any State vehicle, except for undercover vehicles, of course!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Interesting, I always wondered why Bertie's black Mercedes was allowed park fully on the footpath outside his constituency office........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

slightly OT...

Do many Garda here ever have to spring into action while off duty? Are you permitted to etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Einstein wrote: »
    slightly OT...

Do many Garda here ever have to spring into action while off duty? Are you permitted to etc?

Heroes dont live long........
    Only get involved if you really really really have to

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sorchap

First time posting here, my respect to all E.S. personnel. I work for local government and got a phonecall the other day from an irate parent saying her daughter had gotten a fire bill when she crashed her car, but that she couldn't have called the fire brigade as she was unconscious. Felt like asking her if she would have preferred if the fire brigade hadn't called to the scene and had left her trapped!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Dont ring a Garda station in Dublin and ask for directions on how to navigate from Cork to wexford! Yes people, that does happen... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

bravestar wrote: »
    Dont ring a Garda station in Dublin and ask for directions on how to navigate from Cork to wexford! Yes people, that does happen... :rolleyes:

Or ring a particular station you happen to have the number for looking to be put through to another station you don't have the number for-because you're too lazy to open the 'phone book and check for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

bravestar wrote: »

Sorry :o . I was lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Is there some old English/Brittish law that said a protestant could shoot a catholic with a crossbow in the gates of Trinity college at midnight on Friday ?

that was one of the rumours along with the poo-ing in the hat I used to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Celticfire

sorchap wrote: »
    First time posting here, my respect to all E.S. personnel. I work for local government and got a phonecall the other day from an irate parent saying her daughter had gotten a fire bill when she crashed her car, but that she couldn't have called the fire brigade as she was unconscious. Felt like asking her if she would have preferred if the fire brigade hadn't called to the scene and had left her trapped!!!

Nobody should be billed for having the fire service come and cut them out of a car. It's something most people in rural areas don't realize that it's going to cost them dearly to use that emergency service.

For example where I live Co.Westmeath, nowhere on the fire service page does it give a list of the charges one could face. Could you show me on your local authority website where they list their charges and explain that it doesn't matter who call the Brigade that a person will still be charged.

As far as I'm concerned it's immoral to be charged for the use of an emergency service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Celticfire wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned it's immoral to be charged for the use of an emergency service.

Agreed. This is what we pay taxes for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Celticfire wrote: »
    Imagine all the calls there'd be to get the cat down from the tree if there was no charge. In fact,form my own point of view, there's an argument for calling guards out to repeat false alarm activations.

The subject of E.S. charges has been trashed out before.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

deadwood wrote: »
    The subject of E.S. charges has been trashed out before.

...and it won't be thrashed out again on this thread. Back on topic please!

Advertisement