Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick-Lesbian Couple beaten unconscious

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Sickening and cowardly - I hope they both make a full and speedy recovery but the mental scars, anxiety and fear will last much longer. Horrible to think that such things can happen in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I know any homophobic attack is horrible but the fact that these bastards were such cowards that they targeted two teenage girls who probably are half their weight makes it even more unstomachable.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DavidRamsay99

I don't think it has anything to do with political or religious views and more to do with clowns who can't deal with rejection.
    The two girls who were attacked were really beautiful so some sad cases who were probably trying and failing miserably to pull all night would take the sight of two gorgeous girls they don't know holding hands, kissing etc in public like a punch in the guts.
    A similar logic applies when they see a guy who is a "geek" hand in hand with a glamorous girlfriend so they jump him or they see two gay guys, particularly a good-looking gay couple, holding hands they have to attack them because beating them up "proves" they aren't gay because they can't pull women.
    A friend of mine who wears glasses but is a great dancer and good with the ladies was punched in the face after he snogged a few girls he danced with by a group of guys who were obviously watching him. After they punched him they actually called him a "fagg*t" and then left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

lottpaul wrote: »
    Sickening and cowardly - I hope they both make a full and speedy recovery but the mental scars, anxiety and fear will last much longer. Horrible to think that such things can happen in this day and age.
    Yes. I was also thinking that it goes to show whether or not people are safe to display affection publicly is still an issue for anxiety.

I agree with the above posters. Obviously ANY attack on men or women is bad. But on teens is just awful.

To be honest they might have picked them because they KNEW they couldn't really defend themselves.
    A friend of mine who wears glasses but is a great dancer and good with the ladies was punched in the face after he snogged a few girls he danced with by a group of guys who were obviously watching him. After they punched him they actually called him a "fagg*t" and then left.

That's insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DavidRamsay99

Yes. I was also thinking that it goes to show whether or not people are safe to display affection publicly is still an issue for anxiety.

I agree with the above posters. Obviously ANY attack on men or women is bad. But on teens is just awful.

To be honest they might have picked them because they KNEW they couldn't really defend themselves.

That's insane!

Well considering most people who are gay or bisexual are not out and are trying to pretend to be straight and terrified of being found out or more importantly having to admit to themselves that yes they are gay or bisexual, the sight of people not being ashamed of their sexuality drives them nuts and they reaction violently.

There was a study conducted by the University of Georgia that appears to demonstrate the link between homophobia and homosexual arousal.
    The authors investigated the role of homosexual arousal in exclusively heterosexual men who admitted negative affect toward homosexual individuals. Participants consisted of a group of homophobic men (n = 35) and a group of nonhomophobic men (n = 29); they were assigned to groups on the basis of their scores on the Index of Homophobia (W. W. Hudson & W. A. Ricketts, 1980). The men were exposed to sexually explicit erotic stimuli consisting of heterosexual, male homosexual, and lesbian videotapes, and changes in penile circumference were monitored. They also completed an Aggression Questionnaire (A. H. Buss & M. Perry, 1992 ). Both groups exhibited increases in penile circumference to the heterosexual and female homosexual videos. Only the homophobic men showed an increase in penile erection to male homosexual stimuli. The groups did not differ in aggression. Homophobia is apparently associated with homosexual arousal that the homophobic individual is either unaware of or denies.

Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1996, Vol. 105, No. 3,440--445

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Well considering most people who are gay or bisexual are not out and are trying to pretend to be straight and terrified of being found out or more importantly having to admit to themselves that yes they are gay or bisexual, the sight of people not being ashamed of their sexuality drives them nuts and they reaction violently.

There was a study conducted by the University of Georgia that appears to demonstrate the link between homophobia and homosexual arousal.

Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1996, Vol. 105, No. 3,440--445

Interesting theory. Pity the samples so small though, doesn't really give much accuracy. But Id say it is hard enough to find men willing to have their dick hooked up to a penile circumference measurer :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There's some worrying stuff going on recently. I am wondering if it's to do with the forced 50:50 media coverage ahead of the referendum.

Unlike say a referendum on something technical like voting age or an EU treaty, this is about very fundamental human rights and in "normal" media coverage or public debate a lot of views that would normally be shuned are being given half the air time making them seem very much more legitimate and widely supported than they really are.

There was a spate of very nasty homophobic assaults during the French run up to gay marriage legislation ...

Hopefully they're caught though - it's a shame there's insufficient CCTV in the area, but hopefully they can be identified and brought to justice.

Advertisement