Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Penalty Points

• 07-07-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All

Couldnt find the answer on google so just wanted to see if you guys had any idea

Ok I got caught on the phone about 3 - 4 weeks ago by an unmarked patrol car. He pulled me over, got my licence and took all the details. All he said to me was "I pulled you over for being on the phone while driving". I nodded and he walked away, got into his car and drove off.

What happens now?

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NakedMonkey

Sounds like a nice waiting game unless you took his details. Any idea what station he was from? Could contact that station or the local station to see if they have any record.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sallymurphy1

It was the unmarked 02 Toyota Camry from Kells he didnt give me any details at all and I was too mortified and to be honest terrified to even ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You will get either a letter in the post from the Garda Fixed Penalty office in Thurles detailing an alleged offence and how to pay or contest same or a court summons for your alleged offence. If you are genuinely worried then contact your local station and ask them was anything entered against you.

A court summons???

I thought talking on the phone was and automatic €80 and 2 penalty points?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A court summons???

A garda can still summons you in spite of there being an automatic fixed ticket. As a rule they won't so don't worry as it's very unlikely to happen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Hi All

Couldnt find the answer on google so just wanted to see if you guys had any idea

Ok I got caught on the phone about 3 - 4 weeks ago by an unmarked patrol car. He pulled me over, got my licence and took all the details. All he said to me was "I pulled you over for being on the phone while driving". I nodded and he walked away, got into his car and drove off.

What happens now?

Thanks a mill

A 02 unmarked car? Unlikely they have one that old still in use. Did you mean 12? Was he in uniform?

No I didn't mean 12 its 02 and yes he was. Flashed the blues for me to pull over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

A garda can still summons you in spite of there being an automatic fixed ticket. As a rule they won't so don't worry as it's very unlikely to happen :)

I'm pretty sure there is a requirement to issue a fixed charge penalty if one is available before proceeding to summons.
    Lmklad wrote: »
    A 02 unmarked car? Unlikely they have one that old still in use. Did you mean 12? Was he in uniform?

Evidently you greatly underestimate the state of the Garda fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

No I didn't mean 12 its 02 and yes he was. Flashed the blues for me to pull over.

In uniform? Reason I ask is cause a fella near here used to have blue LEDs and pulled over cars pretending to be a guard

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nopoints

If any one needs help getting points wiped have a look at the october issue of the Longford leader,or just google judge Seamus Hughes, or Pheonix Magazine, both of which claim the judge has had six penalty pints wiped from his licence for speeding.Pheonix also claims there was two points wiped from his wifes licence the same week there was two wiped from his own!.A fine example of doublestandards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

No fixed penalty for this offence so it's straight to court. I'm surprised none of you are aware of this it's nearly as big a story in recent times as Garth brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

A court summons???

Sorry to tell you but I think recent legislation passed making it 3 points and €1000 fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Isn't this only for texting/internet? I dont think the OP has said whether it was this or voice.

HIGH HORSE ALERT: It really is about time we started introducing mandatory classes which people have to attend during short bans. A month on the naughty step might stop morons who use phones while driving. The current legislation on texting (how anyone does this is beyond me) is a step in the right direction but doesn't go far enough imho.

EDIT: In relation to the car - Garda on the way home perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The penalty for being caught while holding a phone is still the same. The new penalty is for sending or accessing data while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Guards have plenty of those 02 camrys on the go. Particularly traffic and serious crime units.

Got 2 penalty points and €80 fine... I was obviously lucky to get this fine before recent legislation was passed regarding penalties...

Just to clear up the issue on the car as some people have a hard time grasping the concept...

The car was the WELL KNOWN unmarked 02 Camry from the kells traffic corps fleet. It is 02 not 12. It is a vehicle used constantly by the guards on duty not "on their way home". And yes the garda was in uniform...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If anyone has a hard time "grasping the concept" I'd suggest it's you !!

You knew only too well that using a mobile phone while driving was illegal yet you didn't think it applied to you ! You were caught and hopefully learned a valuable lesson.

Now if you'll excuse me my horse needs watering.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    If anyone has a hard time "grasping the concept" I'd suggest it's you !!

You knew only too well that using a mobile phone while driving was illegal yet you didn't think it applied to you ! You were caught and hopefully learned a valuable lesson.

Now if you'll excuse me my horse needs watering.

Ken

The "concept" I was talking about was some people can't grasp the fact that there is an unmarked 02 Camry on the kells traffic corps fleet. I understand fully about my wrongdoing and in fact havnt denied any of it or tried to fob off the seriousness of it. Stupid mistake. Hasn't and won't happen again. I was looking for information regarding the fines and points. If in fact you havnt read back and seen or understood any of this I'm sure there are some literacy courses running through the winter which will aid you in reading and understanding threads and facts in the future.

Have a fabulous day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I've no wish to drag this thread off topic but I do think that insulting people who are trying to answer your questions on a public forum by of accusing them of being unable to "grasp the concept" is just wrong !

Also trying to warn people to be aware of a particular car that might be behind them should they intend to use their mobile phone is irresponsible. The lesson is to learn that it's dangerous to do anything that detracts your attention from driving safely, not to give a "heads up" of a particular car the Gardaí might be driving.

KEn

• Advertisement

ZENER wrote: »
    I've no wish to drag this thread off topic but I do think that insulting people who are trying to answer your questions on a public forum by of accusing them of being unable to "grasp the concept" is just wrong !

Also trying to warn people to be aware of a particular car that might be behind them should they intend to use their mobile phone is irresponsible. The lesson is to learn that it's dangerous to do anything that detracts your attention from driving safely, not to give a "heads up" of a particular car the Gardaí might be driving.

KEn

If you look back on this post not only me but a few other users have tried explaining that yes an 02 car can be used in the traffic corps and in fact there are older ones . It's very frustrating explaining the same thing over and over again.

And in relation to me telling people about an unmarked car... This is probably the most well known car in the Navan/kells area. I was just dumb enough to be talking on my phone not to notice it. Like I said I definitely won't be doing it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

This thread is getting dumb now. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement