Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

KP retires from limited overs international cricket

• 05-06-2012 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

Kevin Pieterson has announced he is no longer available to play for England in limited overs games, but does wish to continue his Test career

Edit: Dunno what happened with the thread title, maybe a mod can fix?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

kryogen wrote: »
    Kevin Pieterson has announced he is no longer available to play for England in limited overs games, but does wish to continue his Test career

Tantrum over Twittergate, keeps putting his foot in it. He may back down before the 20/20 World Cup.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,687 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I thought he wanted to stay in the 20/20 team and just cut out the ODI matches, but the ECB said he had to be available for both, so he decided to (literally) take his bat home. Given that background, I'm not sure they will let him sit it out to then walk back into the 20/20 team when it suits him.

TBH, in further cements Morgan into the team, with a real possibility of him moving up the order, and makes way for some of the up and coming guys

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

I find it incredible he's whinging about the "demanding schedule" of international cricket when a) he was due to be rested for the Windies ODI series and b) He only plays for England! He's basically the England "pro", he hardly ever turns out for Surrey (think May was the last time he played a 4 day for them.) I hope the ECB don't back down when he comes begging to be let into the World Cup squad for 20/20 even though I can imagine Sky's pundits clamouring for the rules to be relaxed for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

think you might be underestimating how much time players are away. Swann's comments on the issue give an indication just how much time players are travelling so can't say I blame players

"I've got a kid being born at the end of the summer and I'm going to see her for a week in the first six months of her life."

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,687 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yep all that travelling must take it's toll. At least he's had a relaxing weekend watching England lose to South Africa in Johannesburg - probably flying back at this very minute...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

TheDrog wrote: »
    think you might be underestimating how much time players are away. Swann's comments on the issue give an indication just how much time players are travelling so can't say I blame players

"I've got a kid being born at the end of the summer and I'm going to see her for a week in the first six months of her life."

I think even do there is more cricket played, the modern cricketer with the wonders of technology has an easier time to keep in touch with their families than cricketers of the past. Australia in 1961 began its English tour with a game against Worcestershire on Sat 29th April and finished the tour with a game against Ireland in Dublin on the 9th September in a two day match. They were the last Australian team to tour England by boat which was a 4 week journey each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭GavMan

His schedule doesn't seem to be a problem when he's pitching up for big fat pay days in the IPL

GavMan wrote: »
    His schedule doesn't seem to be a problem when he's pitching up for big fat pay days in the IPL
    I'd make myself available for that sort of money ...

Seriously though, professional sportspeople have a limited time in their prime to make whatever they can to try and set themselves up for the rest of their lives. Relatively few end up with full time roles within the sport that may have made them famous, and cricket remains low down the list of sports salaries.

If the IPL aae prepared to pay ridiculous amounts to attract the likes of Pietersen, good luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭GavMan

Beasty wrote: »
    I'd make myself available for that sort of money ...

Seriously though, professional sportspeople have a limited time in their prime to make whatever they can to try and set themselves up for the rest of their lives. Relatively few end up with full time roles within the sport that may have made them famous, and cricket remains low down the list of sports salaries.

If the IPL aae prepared to pay ridiculous amounts to attract the likes of Pietersen, good luck to him

I agree but my point is, he shouldn't winge about the international schedule (lets remember, the ECB are his primary employers) when he wants to spend is downtime making big wedges of cash in India.

One cannot have ones cake and eat it too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

KP Has just tweeted this video.

He's available for all forms for England and is no longer wanting play IPL over playing for England.

Its a strange video. Its like a "I'm sorry, I take it back, let me play" video but I wonder if the ECB knew about it. If they didn't I can't imagine they will be happy him doing this off his own bat.

What does everyone else think of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Rascasse wrote: »
    KP Has just tweeted this video.

He's available for all forms for England and is no longer wanting play IPL over playing for England.

Its a strange video. Its like a "I'm sorry, I take it back, let me play" video but I wonder if the ECB knew about it. If they didn't I can't imagine they will be happy him doing this off his own bat.

What does everyone else think of it?

All or nothing. If he decides what games he does or doesn't want to play then good luck to him in his international retirement. If he will play every game then welcome back. He has whined at every club he's been at so wouldn't necessarily be that sorry to see him go anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I'd agree here with DooferOaks.

To me, KP want's the best of both worlds here. And if I were a English selector? I'd dump him ( KP) for the 3rd Test @ Lord's - let Him know just WHO is bigger here!

Well rumours are rife on twitter etc (so usual caveats) that this video may be a last minute chance to stop his impending sacking.

After his press conference at Headingley I half expected him to be dropped for Lords and him to disappear into retirement/IPL/Big Bash. Well, allegedly, after the press conference he was texting Steyn and AB slagging off Strauss and Flower and these texts made it back into the England dressing room and that + the whole PR shambles have left the ECB to decide to drop him.

Now KP has realised that retirement isnt the best idea at 32 and wants to keep playing for England (and the associated endorsements) and has released the video to stop his sacking.

What a mess.

Well rumours are rife on twitter etc (so usual caveats) that this video may be a last minute chance to stop his impending sacking.

After his press conference at Headingley I half expected him to be dropped for Lords and him to disappear into retirement/IPL/Big Bash. Well, allegedly, after the press conference he was texting Steyn and AB slagging off Strauss and Flower and these texts made it back into the England dressing room and that + the whole PR shambles have left the ECB to decide to drop him.

Now KP has realised that retirement isnt the best idea at 32 and wants to keep playing for England (and the associated endorsements) and has released the video to stop his sacking.

What a mess.

Slagging off Your captain AND Coach at the same time??? WTF does he think he is?
    What a doos (Afk for ***t) KP is! For me, he ought to be dumped.....FOREVER.

Just confirmed there. KP replaced by Jonny Bairstow on the team sheet.

KP you silly, silly man.

KP has been dropped from the squad for the 3rd Test v the Bokke.

RIGHT decision IMO!

From the ECB press release (emphasis mine):
    Hugh Morris, commented: “During the past week we have held several discussions with Kevin Pietersen and his advisors. Following a constructive meeting it was agreed that a number of actions needed to be completed to re-engage Kevin within the England dressing room. A fundamental item was to confirm publicly that no derogatory texts had been sent by Kevin to the South African team. This has not been forthcoming despite clear timelines being set to allow the Selectors to pick the squad for the 3rd Investec Test Match. We provided an additional six hours this morning to provide every opportunity for agreement to be reached but regrettably this has not been possible.

I must say, nice of his Sefrican mates to shaft him by forwarding the texts!

Let's be fair here RC, he dug his own hole...sadly, the tosser also jumped into it too. What a climb down...scores a century in a test, and gets dropped for the following one. Pietersen, Your brains are in your pocket.....as has been said over and over, money is the root of all evil!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

who said the south africans handed over the messages???could have easily been seen from his phone.

I don't think there is any doubt that the existence of the texts became known from South African players. Its more a case how. It may not be malicious at all, just word got around and found its way to a journo, but it has definitely worked to SA's advantage.

The longer this saga goes on the worse it looks for the ECB too. At the end of the day he called his captain a doos during a bit of banter with some mates. Big deal. I can think of worse things to call someone. A reason to drop someone? Probably not. Sensible to drop the guy whose first innings knock saved the draw in the last test? Nope.

Anyway, I could go on ad nauseum about the old boys club that is the ECB and that odious toad, Giles Clarke, but thats not really the point of this thread. I hope Pietersen and the ECB can patch up their differences enough by Friday for him to be included in the world T20 squad (even though it was alleged to have been finialised last week) otherwise I fear England will no longer be the top side in any form of the game come October.

• Advertisement

I don't know if You know what 'doos' means in English Rascasse, but if anyone called someone else that here, I would assume they would be yellow carded...at the very least.

To go calling your captain a doos deserves everything this idiot has begotten.

I still wonder at the smile on his face when he was out 2nd ball on 149 at Headingley - that expression really puzzled me.

I know what it means alright. I lived in Jozi for a couple of years many moons ago and heard a lot worse (really, drunk dutchmen can be quite inventive with their insults). Doos, to me at least, is pretty vanilla. If he used something like p**s or k**t or worse it would be another matter altogether.

Re the smile at getting out. Probably just smiling at getting bowled first over while one away from a 'daddy hundred'. I'm sure the South Africans were giving their opinion too as he walked off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone think he's a goner? Todays revelations seems to put the final nail in the coffin.

from bbc
    But the latest allegations, reported in the Sunday Times , have left Pietersen's
    England career hanging by a thread.

And more damaging than the allegations he texted personal abuse about his captain are the allegations Pietersen told the South Africa fast bowlers to go around the wicket to Strauss, a tactic with which Dale Steyn dismissed him in the second Test at Headingley.

Its notable how no one has spoken in his favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone think he's a goner? Todays revelations seems to put the final nail in the coffin.

from bbc
    But the latest allegations, reported in the Sunday Times , have left Pietersen's
    England career hanging by a thread.

And more damaging than the allegations he texted personal abuse about his captain are the allegations Pietersen told the South Africa fast bowlers to go around the wicket to Strauss, a tactic with which Dale Steyn dismissed him in the second Test at Headingley.

Its notable how no one has spoken in his favour.

Piers Morgan has spoken in his defence!
    One master of self promotion defending another, lovely.

Oh, and I hope he is a goner for good now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well when Morgan is in your corner you know you are fvcked! None of his colleagues from country or county has said a peep as far as I can see which tells its own tale. You don't have to be liked to be effective but when the sh-it hits the fan it helps.

I wouldn't worry about whats in the Times as its been known as long as the 'doos' comment and they're making it sound like a new revelation. Certainly not helpful for KP, though.

Also the players have been told not to comment and the journos told not to ask.

He's turning out for Surrey v Hampshire today. Sell out at the Rose Bowl. Many Hants fans there to give him stick I'm sure. :)

Haha. KP you utter doos.

KP Pietersen b Dawson 0 (1m 1b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

I wouldn't worry about whats in the Times as its been known as long as the 'doos' comment and they're making it sound like a new revelation. Certainly not helpful for KP, though.

If the allegation in ST that he gave tactical advice to opposition is true then that alone should ensure he never plays for any England team again. The guy has a history of alienating team-mates and putting personal ambition before club/country interests, I'm sure the twenty20 bandwagon will give him what he's looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

without KP ENGLISH Men returning back from SRI LANKA with no CUP! No matter whoelse they have picked for T20 WC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Interesting take on the whole KP thing from Ian O'Brien
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/579767.html

Advertisement