Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roundabouts Ahhhh!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

tech2 wrote: »
    Parkway roundabout aside the drivers arnt too bad when it come to roundabouts in Limerick.

Actually in the raheen industrial estate they have the whole system f**ked up with the left lane for only turning left. Every single driver just ignores it and uses the clock system. I wonder will the city council ever sort it out as it doesnt make sense.
    re County councils there was a big debate recently on last word about how speed limits are set on roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

As I am down in Kerry right now I will just mention(again) that their roundabouts are:

Left lane - Left hand turn only

Right lane - Right hand turn and straight on.

MORONS! :mad: Same goes for Mayo County Council.

I was turning into the retail park on the Castleisland road in Tralee so using the left lane as was the truck in front of me. Women in C reg car behind did the whole "follow the leader" thing and then decided she was going straight on. She was blown out of it by all the other traffic.

Berty wrote: »
    As I am down in Kerry right now I will just mention(again) that their roundabouts are:

I was turning into the retail park on the Castleisland road in Tralee so using the left lane as was the truck in front of me. Women in C reg car behind did the whole "follow the leader" thing and then decided she was going straight on. She was blown out of it by all the other traffic.
    not necessarily. som roundabouts and its exits roads are layed out differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

well you have to give way to someone indicating left off third exit.

I never drive off indicators, If i did i wouldn't have the front of my car present anymore.

Saw a guy one morning, indicate to take the first exit, cut across two lanes and shot out the other side of the roundabout ... thing was the guy behind me was beeping at me trying to get me to move out.

He saw it happen and sort of slunk down behind the steering wheel looking sheepish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I drove behind this auld one from my estate for a few miles, she made about 10 turns at junctions and she didn't indicate once!

• Advertisement

Quint wrote: »
    I drove behind this auld one from my estate for a few miles, she made about 10 turns at junctions and she didn't indicate once!
    worse are the ones who have the indicators on for miles without knowing it. some drivers live in a world of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

The worst example I saw recently while trying to enter a roundabout (the one in front of Loughlinstown Hospital for those that know it) two cars came onto the roundabout from the N11 southbound 1 in LHS lane and 1 in RHS lane. The one in the LHS lane proceeded around to the 3rd (hospital) exit and the one in the RHS lane exited at the 2nd exit both attempting to cut each other off!

As far as I was concerned BOTH drivers were in the wrong!

boomer_ie wrote: »
    The worst example I saw recently while trying to enter a roundabout (the one in front of Loughlinstown Hospital for those that know it) two cars came onto the roundabout from the N11 southbound 1 in LHS lane and 1 in RHS lane. The one in the LHS lane proceeded around to the 3rd (hospital) exit and the one in the RHS lane exited at the 2nd exit both attempting to cut each other off!

As far as I was concerned BOTH drivers were in the wrong!
    you mean they criss crossed?

you mean they criss crossed?

Pretty much yes

boomer_ie wrote: »
    Pretty much yes
    roundabouts near where I live. off an estate. but are incredibly tight and small.. dont think its possible to go all the way round on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

And this is the heart of the problem. If there is no consistency in applying the rules is it any wonder that people don't know what to do.

In Castlebar for instance, most of the roundabouts are marked for right lane for straight ahead, but a while back they changed one roundabout so that for one approach only you have to be in the left lane for straight ahead, the other 3 entrances the (local) status quo applies. And of course the only markings to indicate what lane you should be in are on the road and are invariably covered by vehicles whenever there is a build-up of traffic.

As you say, Morons!

roundabouts near where I live. off an estate. but are incredibly tight and small.. dont think its possible to go all the way round on them.

Im not talking about the small roundabout at the hospital, i mean the full N11 / Shankill / Hospital roundabout.

yes think i know the roundabout you are talking about. One is left after the graduate pub, straight ahead is towards Killiney, right goes on to the dual carriage way. I was talking about a different roundabout

yes think i know the roundabout you are talking about. One is left after the graduate pub, straight ahead is towards Killiney, right goes on to the dual carriage way. I was talking about a different roundabout

Dunno which one ur on about, the link below is the one im on about.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.241497,-6.129289&t=h&sll=53.204418,-6.109185&sspn=0.026737,0.06403&ie=UTF8&ll=53.241624,-6.129298&spn=0.003563,0.008272&z=17&iwloc=A

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Can't beat a good ol' roundabout rant. :)

I actually enjoy other people pi$$ing me off on them. Until I get hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Ditto for Kilkenny CC. Coming in the Dublin road, at the first roundabout on the ring road in Kilkenny, the same, left lane for left turn only and right lane for straight ahead with right hand turn.

How there have not been any accidents there is a miracle, though it is well marked on the road itself before you enter it.

Maybe the idea is to cut down on congestion at certain times. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Worst one for me is the one over the M50 by Blanchardstown. Coming in towards the city will almost always get into the left lane to go straight ahead but the odd time will get stuck in the second lane. The last time I indicated well in advance & keep looking inside waiting for idiot to cut across & just went any normal person would assume he was going straight ahead he cuts across to the right to turn onto the M50.

I know some roundabouts are badly designed but that is clear to anyone with a brain cell. There is nothing worse than having to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident caused by someone else. Even worse when that person is oblivious to what happened. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

msn_magic_roundabout_470x350.jpg

this is called the magic roundabout in the uk and its possibly the best designed roundabout in existence and the first one of its kind in the world

where is the "magic roundabout located

that one is in swindon and it looks confuseing but if you look at it its great. you can drive the wrong way round the big roundabout while going the right way around the small ones.

• Advertisement

that one is in swindon and it looks confuseing but if you look at it its great. you can drive the wrong way round the big roundabout while going the right way around the small ones.
    is that normal traffic on it. Can see that being introduced over here and being gridlock. Just because of the way Irish drivers drive!

no it was put in place at a roundabout that was in gridlock all the time installed it and no more problems

no it was put in place at a roundabout that was in gridlock all the time installed it and no more problems
    Oh think i see it now. If you get into wrong lane on big roundabout you go on to minor roundabout to get into right lane. Correct?

well if you want to go from the entrance on the top left to the juction bottom left. instead of going round the whole roundabout you do a right at the first small one and a right at the second small one

well if you want to go from the entrance on the top left to the juction bottom left. instead of going round the whole roundabout you do a right at the first small one and a right at the second small one
    yes it seems a good idea. shame those doing the Red Cow roundabout didnt know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Damien360

That is insane. Can you see the chaos as the average Irish driver does that. Round the roundabout at top left to 4 lanes. That means each of cars take a lane each and race each other and the one correct one on 2nd lane from left to the next roundabout.

Add to that the drivers from the bottom left blocking the lanes so the ones from top left cannot get on. Gridlock.

Then make it Irish by adding traffic lights to stop everyone hitting each other and then nobody moves as everyone ignores the red light.

I going back to bed !

Damien360 wrote: »
    That is insane. Can you see the chaos as the average Irish driver does that. Round the roundabout at top left to 4 lanes. That means each of cars take a lane each and race each other and the one correct one on 2nd lane from left to the next roundabout.

Add to that the drivers from the bottom left blocking the lanes so the ones from top left cannot get on. Gridlock.

Then make it Irish by adding traffic lights to stop everyone hitting each other and then nobody moves as everyone ignores the red light.

I going back to bed !
    yes may take a while to get the hang of it. god knows the Mad cow roundabout took ages to master.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Your right, but a least there are markings on the road for the idiots to understand. ;)

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Your right, but a least there are markings on the road for the idiots to understand. ;)
    say she got the message though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Random wrote: »
    Poorly designed roundabouts. Poor driver education. Complete lack of caring.

Pick one. I'm gonna say a combo of all three.

I agree, and I'd add: complete lack of enforcement of road laws (except for cash-producing speed control)

Advertisement