Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anybody watch for a second time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

On season 5 gutted it's gonna finish

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sounds like Deadwood, MB. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its ok, when you finish it, just give it a break for a couple of weeks/months, then start all over again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's terrific. I'm coming to the end of season 4 on probably my 5th viewing of the show, and it's still just timeless. I've watched other shows multiple times and I don't think they hold up nearly as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I got the loan of a projector recently and watched Series 1 in B&W on
    a well ironed double bed sheet tacked to the wall.

Awesome! :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Been through it 3 times hah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

am re-watching right now - with subtitles, I swear, it makes all the difference!

just in the middle of S3 and to be honest, I'm nursing it cos of the
    senseless killing of String - big fan, so was gutted to see his ass capped!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Watched seasons 1 - 4 for a second time and its amazing how differently you view the seasons when you dont have to concentrate on learning new characters or following the plot as closely. I think my favourite season when re-watching was 2, which was probably my least favourite season the first time. Its an amazing show, an absolute work of art. The best ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭James McNulty

Like Christmas and Easter, watching The Wire once a year is a such a wondrous experience that I hope watching it along with Willy Wonka at Christmas and will be traditions in my childrens home, my childrens childrens home etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

going to jump into watching it a 2nd time now the long winter nights are here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Recently finished season 3, second half of it is rather good, in fairness. Previously I probably wouldn't have been too pushed about carrying on, and may take a break, but I am definitely interested in seeing season 4 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gramsey

I started watching it last November and I've watched it all the way through 3 times already and believe it or not,I want to watch it again.Gonna hold off for a couple of years though.I reckon I could definitely watch the whole thing 10+ and never get bored with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

just started rewatching this , hooked already

irishgeo wrote: »
    just started rewatching this , hooked already

Its amazing how many small things you pick up on when watching it a second time, compared to the first time when you're busy learning the characters and plot. I've been through it twice now. Hoping to start again after Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Just heading towards the end of season 2 on my second watching. I loved season 2 the first time round and I'm loving it even more! Season on is juat fantastic. I mean the first time you spend trying to figure out the characters, remember names etc and the second time you can just sit back and enjoy the whole drama of it all.

Also to people who have only watched it once...my memory is bad (drugs and alcohol don't help) don't the seasons blend in to each other? When you chat with a friend who's currently watching it for the first time and they're talking about it, it's hard to place the timelines. Well, for me it was.

A second watching puts all those timelines and characters together in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

You almost need a 2nd watch for a show as intense and intricate as The Wire. Ive watched it 3 times. Sopranos and Oz are the only other shows Ive watched that many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

Currently watching The Wire on Sky Atlantic, this is my sixth time watching it.

Think its time to revisit it again, after the death of Robert Chew (Proposition Joe). Great actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I finished Season 5 again yesterday so I've now watched the whole thing twice.

It's definitely worth it. Not only do you pick up so much more, nearly all the seasons seem to improve with a second viewing. Interestingly the only one I didn't like as much this time was Season 3. I recall on first viewing that I thought it was a slow season that only got really good towards the end, and by the end I loved it, but I think maybe that was because of the novelty factor of Hamsterdam once that was introduced. Take away that novelty factor and, well, it's just a slow season that picks up a bit at the end.

Season 5 was much better on second viewing. The serial killer story is still far-fetched but when you know it's coming it's easier to put that aside and focus on the surrounding events that led to it. The Carcetti arc is much more interesting than in the previous seasons, and I think you get a lot more out of particular characters (I'm thinking of Michael, Dukie and Bubbles here) when you know where the writers are bringing them.

Only downside is, I'm now experiencing that end-of-The-Wire mourning for a second time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I started it again a few days ago.

First time round I don't think I knew who Avon was. The writers did a brilliant job of keeping him under wraps. It probably wasn't until the basketball episode that I copped that it was him.

I'm delighted I've started. I think it's been exactly 4 years since I last watched it. I've watched all of the other major shows since then. It'll be interesting to see what I think of it at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Just started back into it. I'd almost forgotten how much I love this show.

I'll watch 1 season, maybe 2. Take a break for the ending of breaking bad and get back into in a couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

Here we go again, Season 1, Episode 1 on demand. Poor old Snot Boogie, didn't even get to say a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

This America man

This America man

Interesting trivia: this actually happened in real life. It's mentioned in the Homicide book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Interesting trivia: this actually happened in real life. It's mentioned in the Homicide book.

I heard the whole first season was based on that book. Do you know if it's worth reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I have the box set about a year now and i still havent watched it

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I have the box set about a year now and i still havent watched it

You're missing out, it's life changing.. Well it probably won't change your life but it's very, very good.

GerB40 wrote: »
    I heard the whole first season was based on that book. Do you know if it's worth reading?

Oh yes, definitely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Watched the whole thing 5 times now. I've moved house a lot in the last couple of years and I always try and get new housemates into the series. They've all loved it.

• Advertisement

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Oh yes, definitely!

Right, Homicide is on the Christmas list this year.. Thanks. (If someone read that post out of context I'd seem like a proper psychopath :):) )

Advertisement