Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung UE32EH5000 32" Full HD with Freeview HD

Options
  • 17-01-2013 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I've spotted the Samsung UE32EH5000 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED TV with Freeview HD on a few sites at a very good price. On Argos here it says it's compatible with Saorview. It doesn't state the same here however on Amazon but it looks like it's the exact same model. Can anyone please confirm that it IS the same model and thus Saorview compatible? Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It appears to be if you check the Saorview official list on their site

http://www.saorview.ie/product/samsung/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Thanks NIMAN.

It lists a "UE32EH5000KXXU 32" Series 5 LED" as Saorview approved. I'm just not sure what the "KXXU" bit is for?

Would the fact that it has Freeview HD be another strong indicator it's capable of receiving Saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dominoman

@BarneyMc. I have one of these TV and can confirm it is Saorview compatible. It can also receive the Freeview HD channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

dominoman wrote: »
    @BarneyMc. I have one of these TV and can confirm it is Saorview compatible. It can also receive the Freeview HD channels.

Hi dominoman,

I have a similar moder 32ES5500 and to get the Freeview HD channels, the tv must be set to "UK" in the country settings. If "Ireland" is choosen it seems to disable the T2 which is needed for the Freeview HD channels. Is this the same with your samsung tv?

doney84 wrote: »
    Hi dominoman,

I have a similar moder 32ES5500 and to get the Freeview HD channels, the tv must be set to "UK" in the country settings. If "Ireland" is choosen it seems to disable the T2 which is needed for the Freeview HD channels. Is this the same with your samsung tv?

But you still get the Saorview channels with this UK setting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

@BarneyMc

Yeah Saorview channels still work so to does the new aertel (mheg 5) just means you will have to reorder the channels if you want the Irish ones at the top of the EPG

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bcoppard

Amazon have this model (with the KXXU) suffix for £249 which seems good value. Would I be correct to say that this model would work in Republic of Ireland with Saorview?

I just need this clarification before I went ahead with the purchase.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

bcoppard wrote: »
    Amazon have this model (with the KXXU) suffix for £249 which seems good value. Would I be correct to say that this model would work in Republic of Ireland with Saorview?

I just need this clarification before I went ahead with the purchase.

Thanks

Yes. Not sure if they will deliver direct though.

Yes and yes!

Sorry to be a bit thick here but the set will give me Saorview without the need for a saorview box won't it?

By the way, Amazon offer a free delivery service to Ireland if the product is over £25 which this obviously is.

• Advertisement

Sorry I think I mislead you in my original post because the Amazon model does not carry the suffix KXXU. Does this mean that it will still carry Saorview in the Republic?

If it's the same TV I refer to in the original post then you don't need a Saorview box with it as it's Saorview compatible. At that price and a weak pound you'd be mad not to buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

That particular suffix is not relevant.

As to delivery, this can be unpredictable with TVs from Amazon, depending on the seller, the make and Amazon's own policy on the day. You can only be sure once you go through the buying process. There are of course services like Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

I also have this tv, it seems like you could connect a hard drive to the USB input and can have a pvr, tried with a USB key but didn't work, great tv by the way, highly recommend !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

You can't record from USB on this tv, no matter what storage you connect.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    You can't record from USB on this tv, no matter what storage you connect.

I think you can

News to me. How do you actually go about recording. Great tv!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Nibs05 wrote: »
    I think you can

Presume we're both talking about the EH5000?

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Presume we're both talking about the EH5000?

Holy crap my bad, just triple checked mines 5500, sorry guys I really am.

No worries Nibs, an easy mistake to make :-)

What I'd like is a box I can plug into the TV that'll allow me to record. There's loads of Freview+/Saorview boxes that do the job but as the TV already has the Freview+/Saorview tuner all I need is the recording facility.

The boxes here seem to do the job but they require an external hard drive which is a pain. Anyone know of any boxes that have built in hard drives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TutuKaka

dominoman wrote: »

Should this pick up the saorview stations with the internal aerial? I've set it to both UK and Ireland and let it auto scan and it found nothing.
    I'm based in Dublin.

TutuKaka wrote: »
    Should this pick up the saorview stations with the internal aerial? I've set it to both UK and Ireland and let it auto scan and it found nothing.
    I'm based in Dublin.

Bloody heck, didn't think I'd see this post again!

What do you mean by internal aerial? I'd imagine you'd need a roof aerial but not sure - I live in Monaghan so have no problems picking up UK and Irish channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

TutuKaka wrote: »
    I'm based in Dublin.
    There is no internal aerial, it should be connected to a suitable outdoor aerial. Saorview instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mooned77

I've just gotten this tv - when I set it to Ireland and scan it picks up the channels no problem, but when I set it as UK and scan it seems to pick up about 50 'blank' channels and then the Irish channels after them. Can't seem to pick up the Freeview channels no matter what I do. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Freeview is UK terrestrial TV, you won't get it unless you're in range of a terrestrial transmitter in Northern Ireland or Wales. The 50 blank channels I assume are the Saorview 'tests' that must be hidden when Ireland is used as setup country.

The TV that's the subject of this thread doesn't have a satellite tuner, so no point trying to connect it to a dish either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mooned77

I'm in Dublin city, so I was under the impression that I was within range of a Freeview signal - is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

mooned77 wrote: »
    is that correct?

No.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I've just gotten this tv - when I set it to Ireland and scan it picks up the channels no problem, but when I set it as UK and scan it seems to pick up about 50 'blank' channels and then the Irish channels after them. Can't seem to pick up the Freeview channels no matter what I do. Any suggestions?

The 50 blank channels are, I believe, an attempt by Saorview (2rn or RTE) to confuse non-Saorview sets and make it more difficult to receive the signal. Why they are doing this (among other things) to wreck the signal is unknown to me but I have been unable to get to the bottom of it.

They have also positioned the SSU channels in such a way that my TV locks LCN 1 with this channels (there is one on each mux) so I do not have position 1 available. They have also 'adjusted' the coding for series link that has prevented UK PVRs from working - this has been the case since last summer.

No satisfactory answer has come from Comreg, the BAI, RTE, or 2rn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

I'm in Dublin city, so I was under the impression that I was within range of a Freeview signal - is that correct?

I'd imagine at least some parts of the city could pick up a signal of sorts, I'd say you'd be talking about a big aerial on top of a tall building or on high ground, but a satellite dish & receiver is the no-brainer, guaranteed reliable option for free UK channels, once you move away from areas near the NI border.

• Advertisement
Advertisement