Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best groin guard for Bjj

• 27-07-2012 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

as the tittle says, whats the best type of groin guard for BJJ

was looking at shockdoctor compressions shorts, are they any use?

currently using my a fight-rite jockstrap/cup with some cycling shorts over them to help keep it in place

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

If youre planning on competing I wouldnt wear one as you wont be allowed use it then. Best to get used to not crushing your balls with an armbar

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

alright lad, i use the shockdoctor shorts & guard myself, i think they are fine, o complaints, found them alot more comfortable than the normal groin guards

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

If youre planning on competing I wouldnt wear one as you wont be allowed use it then. Best to get used to not crushing your balls with an armbar
    well to be honest, its for my opponents protection, I don't want to crush his arm with my balls.:D;)

not planning on competing in any BJJ competitions, just doing it for fun, so Ill be using a cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I have one of them shock doctor compression shorts + cup things, and I think I've used it about twice for grappling. It's a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

If you're totally sold on wearing some sort of nadger protection, I'd recommend the soft "nappy" type. There's less chance of it becoming dislodged and doing you a serious injury.

That said if you're getting nailed there with any sort of regularity in BJJ something is very wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

I have one of them shock doctor compression shorts + cup things, and I think I've used it about twice for grappling. It's a bit pointless.
    pointless because it moves out of place? sorry I'm new to this

That said if you're getting nailed there with any sort of regularity in BJJ something is very wrong.
    Well I'd say its my fault, just started -don't really have a lot of technique yet, found that rolling with out the cup, my tackle was a bit tender afterwards

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

man the **** up and roll with out it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

pointless because it moves out of place? sorry I'm new to this.
    Pointless because I hardly ever get hit in the goolies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Pointless because I hardly ever get hit in the goolies.
    Wanna be a damn good shot to hit that target :p

Ill get my coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

If I'm in the gym and the guy I'm rolling with is wearing a groin guard I ask them to take it off or I stop rolling with them. It's not used in bjj comps, so why would I spar against somebody with one? That's purely from a bjj perspective, mma and stuff are different.

Accidents happen, but as long as your guard passing doesn't involve flying knees then who cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

You don't need a groin guard for BJJ. It's not allowed in comps, so you should get used to not wearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

O'k slightly off topic!!

But why are they not allowed in competition, I've heard its because risk of injury but the risk of been injured by a groin guard is non existent unless people are wearing the metal ones!!

Serious question as i think it's a stupid rule.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

It's mostly the risk of injury to yourself - cup moves, one of the lads pops out for some fresh air and somebody smashes into you will be a pretty serious injury. As far as I know BJJ just lifted the rule from judo.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Being armbarred and triangled by someone wearing a cup is a bit ****. Wear some decent boxers with a bit of support and your nads won't be caught accidentily if they aren't all hangy and what not.

I'm only speaking from a BJJ POV really though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Clive wrote: »
    It's mostly the risk of injury to yourself - cup moves, one of the lads pops out for some fresh air and somebody smashes into you will be a pretty serious injury. As far as I know BJJ just lifted the rule from judo.

This makes sense, The shock doctor type compression shorts that out

I'm just 1 of them strange people who value my nuts!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

During my short stint doing BJJ, i never had a problem with hurting my nuts doing armbars. What did hurt my nuts was lying on my back in half guard and have my opponents thigh crush them, but I quickly learned that was poor technique and to adjust to my side. My nuts were safe after that.

Just for sports in general, its always a good idea to wear briefs with some support. Boxers aren't good because they allow a bit too much freedom and can, um, allow certain things to stick to your leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bres

I thought they were not allowed in competition because they helped to finish armbars. I'm not a fan of wearing a cup but if someone wants to wear one in training i think thats perfectly acceptable, it's just a safety precaution. Just know the day you forget it will be the one day you get a knee in the nads :)

Advertisement