Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish teaching- gaeltacht requirement

Options
  • 30-01-2015 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I Was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm currently studying irish in ucd and hope to do the PME to do both irish and geography teaching. My problem is that I don't have the two month gaeltacht residency which is required by the teaching council in order to become fully registered. Has anyone had this problem before and if so had so you go about herring the two month requirement. Would appreciate any help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I don't know if it counts but I imagine you could get two months out of the coláistí Samhraidh, if you can get them to take you on. I imagine that there isn't a great shortage of teachers right now so they might not hire you for that but they might have something else for you to do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You probably wouldn't get Coláiste Samhraidh work as a teacher,would you consider doing ceannaire?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Never did it and was never asked and I'm fully registered (recently enough). If they asked I'd a big spiel prepared for them about how all of Ireland is a Gaeltacht for those of us who speak it every day. I've heard I'm not the first who was going to say that to them so they seem to have quietly dropped the idea of us driving three hours down the road to speak a language as often as many of us do at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Hadn't heard that before but it is true (except on boards.ie where Irish is forbidden outside of the e-Gaeltacht). I like it. I wonder if I was to retrain as a primary teacher (which I don't intend to buy anyway) if they'd accept the fact that I've worked in Gaelcholáistí for the past ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

This was only discussed in our staff room yesterday.
    Primary student teacher was in with us and he has to go to Gaeltacht at Easter for two weeks. €750 for the pleasure but I was completely stupified when he told us that those native to Gaeltacht have to go, and a few on his course are actually from the area they are going to and will have to fork over €750 to sleep in their neighbour's house! (well prob not but ya get me!)
    Absolutely ridiculous. Plus they shouldn't have to pay either. This was funded not that long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

RealJohn wrote: »
    Hadn't heard that before but it is true (except on boards.ie where Irish is forbidden outside of the e-Gaeltacht). I like it. I wonder if I was to retrain as a primary teacher (which I don't intend to buy anyway) if they'd accept the fact that I've worked in Gaelcholáistí for the past ten years.

Not true RJ, you may post in Irish on any forum to your heart's content, and you know it (this is the third time you've made that false claim). There is also a dedicated Irish speaking forum which has the luxury of having a dedicated fluent mod.
    Member has been infracted.
    Do not respond to this warning on thread.
    MOD

Advertisement