Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 4 - PS4

• 20-03-2013 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

The reveal is coming out on March 26th. Some of the details leaked are :

1. Battlefield 4 will stick with 64 players. Maps are larger and more detailed.
    2. Three factions: US, Russia, and an unnamed “Eastern/Asian” faction.
    3. 4 classes with “additional features and tweaks” compared to BF3
    4. Shipping with same amount of maps as BF3, there are plans for lots of DLC.
    5. DLC is already in planning stages.
    6. Battlefield 4 Premium will be available on day one and include some perks.
    7. Most of the guns and vehicles from BF3 will return.
    8. More squad features.
    9. Commander feature returns, but won’t be the same as in BF2
    10. Battlefield 4 is coming out on both current and next gen systems, and PC as well.
    11. Game is more of an evolution rather than revolution of the series. Both technically and gameplay wise.
    12. Will ship with more game modes than BF3
    13. Will ship with more close quarter infantry maps than BF3
    14. Frostbite 2 engine is pushed further in BF4. Better effects, higher res textures, more detailed game worlds, etc.
    15. BF3 will still be supported after Battlefield 4 launches.
    16. There is plan of some sort of integration between BF3 and BF4. Could be Battlelog-only.
    17. Battlelog will be updated for Battlefield 4 with more social features and more detailed stats.
    18. Single-player and co-op will return, new writers involved this time.

I thought the next gen PS4 would bring 1080p maybe 30 FPS and 64 players but it looks like its going to be 720p and 24 players
    Details on EA's next-generation shooter Battlefield 4 have leaked, and while some of the gameplay points sound awesome, some of the technical points leave a little to be desired.

Leaked onto Chiphell forums (so take all this with a pinch of salt until official confirmation from EA lands), with the leaked information apparently originally intended to debut in the April issue of Edge magazine, China in the year 2020 has been revealed as the game's setting.

However, those hoping for the ultimate experience on next-gen consoles such as the PS4 and rumoured Xbox 720 will be left disappointed, as the company are setting their sights relatively low with a 720p/60fps optimisation for the new machines. High-end PC gaming is where the most impressive 1080p/60fps visuals will be, with PC gamers also benefitting from 64-player mutiplayer battles compared to the consoles 24-player bouts.

Using the revamped Frostbite 2.5 engine, the game is said to feature full DirectX 11 compatibility on the PC, and utilise 80% of the engine's power compared to the 30% used for Battlefield 3. All environments, water effects, terrain and characters will make use of improved tessellation technologies inside Frostbit 2.5 also.

The game will also introduce completely dynamic weather effects, including fog, rain, sandstorms and more, all of which would activate on maps at random under variable conditions, adding an extra degree to complexity to multiplayer matches. Bad Company 2's Destruction 4.0 physics effects will also return, making for totally destructible environments.

Returning to the game's plot and setting, China and USA will be the main infantry factions, with the single player campaign said to last between 5 and 6 hours.

Five multiplayer maps (Diaoyu Island, Tiananmen, Shanghai Bund, Xizhimen and Xizhimen Rush) have been leaked so far, though many more are promised. Two tank vehicles set for inclusion include the M1A2 TUSK and PLA Type 99, while those who prefer to take to the skies will benefit from a larger Air Combat Zone, making for ever-more death-defying dog fights.

Both the Commander system and skill systems are also said to be overhauled.

Interestingly, both DLC and microtransactions for the game are already planned, with the DLC's four maps already outlined. No chance of just popping them into the game at launch, eh EA? Them the breaks these days it would seem.

I think that is a bit of a joke. Maybe its only a rumor but I would expect 64 players and 1080p on the PS4. I don't know what the PS4 equivalent of the DirectX 11 is but I would expect it to nearly match 100% of the PC version

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd be happy to keep it 24 players if the framerate is a constant 60fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I'd be happy to keep it 24 players if the framerate is a constant 60fps.

I'd prefer 32 or 36 players at 30fps. nothing as bad as running around caspian with only scenery to admire and nothing to shoot then getting shot on by a passing chopper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Smaller maps with less players makes more sense but they should push the numbers up for the bigger maps.. there are no real technical limitations on the next gen consoles ?

hey check this out

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield-4

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

cant wait till the 26th,
    and that rumor about on @ 720p was proven to be false in a neogaf thread i saw.

plus this,

"Rajat Taneja, EA CTO, seemed very enthusiastic about Battlefield 4 saying that it is indeed “stunning”; he then follows up with an implication that PS4′s power is aiding the creative development of the title. The title runs in 1080p and 60FPS"

http://dualpixels.com/2013/02/26/ea-teases-battlefield-4-for-ps4-next-gen-8-10x-more-powerful/

• Advertisement

cant wait till the 26th,
    and that rumor about on @ 720p was proven to be false in a neogaf thread i saw.

plus this,

"Rajat Taneja, EA CTO, seemed very enthusiastic about Battlefield 4 saying that it is indeed “stunning”; he then follows up with an implication that PS4′s power is aiding the creative development of the title. The title runs in 1080p and 60FPS"

http://dualpixels.com/2013/02/26/ea-teases-battlefield-4-for-ps4-next-gen-8-10x-more-powerful/

that url is not working ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

That information is false, twas proven via NeoGaf. Please don't ask me to find me a source, the thread is ridiculously long...

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Im hoping with the PS4's capabilities BF4 will be a lot bigger!

They can bring 64 player match's to console with good FPS if they build the damn engine right!

I'd also like to see naval combat.. Frigates, Submarines, Destroyers etc.. as well as the Ground and air force. Make the game a proper battlefield!

I dont want 70% of PS4's power towards graphics and lighting. I want improve gameplay!

Did you get your dog tags ?

I don't know what to believe but there seems to be conflicting articles about the exact performance of the PS4. I think it will only be a demo like the type seen for the BF3 DLC, lots of short segments of combat.

Subs and ships would be too boring. Take the existing ships at the moment. They are only attacked by the odd jet and maybe 1 helicopter every 10 minutes. Getting a ribbon on the stationary weapons was a bit of a bore.

I would really like to see 1080p and lots to do in game with an ultra sharp controller.

• Advertisement

New elements unlocked in the official Battlefield 4 key art. Head to Battlefield to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Looks like EA are going to ride us again with DLC and Premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Chavways wrote: »

Do you think that they shouldn't have a long term strategy for the game or that they should release all the extra content for free?

I'd rather have paid DLC, but a well supported game over a single release and to hell with bug fixes and balance patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Chavways wrote: »

I speak for myself when I say this, but I certainly didnt feel "rode" for buying premium BF3. The game gave fantastic value for money, and there are still some maps which I havnt had time to fully explore yet, this from a game I bought at the end of 2011! It was also ver well supported in the short time its been with us.

I actually feel its way too soon for another Battlefield, as there is still plenty to yet in this one.

In short, I'l happily buy premium again if its as the same quality as BF3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

So purdy.

I speak for myself when I say this, but I certainly didnt feel "rode" for buying premium BF3. The game gave fantastic value for money, and there are still some maps which I havnt had time to fully explore yet, this from a game I bought at the end of 2011! It was also ver well supported in the short time its been with us.

I actually feel its way too soon for another Battlefield, as there is still plenty to yet in this one.

In short, I'l happily buy premium again if its as the same quality as BF3.

I will probably buy premium again also. Hopefully BF4 single player is more interactive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

After seeing this I am buying BF4 Premium 4 sure, looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Won't be buying premium myself this time. No amount of artwork, videos, strategy guides and camos can amount to splunking €50 on it again. Sure some of the DLC was good, namely Back to Karkand, which came free with the Limited Edition version of BF3, but in all honesty, I could've easily and happily done without the 4 that followed. CQ was a COD wannabe, AK was too big for consoles, AM was pretty boring and EG is pretty average for the most part.

The one thing that really grates me with BF now is the whole package patches alongside the DLC. Not hotfixes. The M26 Dart glitch, the TV missile glitch, the MAV glitch etc, took far too long to fix. Hell, they now claim that they have finally fixed the TV missile glitch... a whole 17 months after release. Bit of a joke imo.

Their whole business model is now geared to this with "premium content" that is quantified in camouflage for guns and delayed artwork. Thanks but no thanks.

• Advertisement

The big Battlefield 4 interview: DICE leaves technology behind
    Frostbite 3, Wii U and why it's not just about pretty graphics.

By Wesley Yin-Poole Published Thursday, 28 March 2013
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-28-the-big-battlefield-4-interview-dice-leaves-technology-behind

Having just an hour earlier listened to Sony delve deep into the power of the PlayStation 4, it comes as a bit of a shock to hear Battlefield main man Patrick Bach tell me that DICE is moving on from technology during our meeting at the Game Developers Conference.

For years Battlefield and pretty visuals have held hands as tightly as high-end PCs and expensive graphics cards have. Now, half a year ahead of the release of Battlefield 4, it seems pretty visuals are not the point.

It all sounds really exciting. There is tons of stuff I would love to see fixed in BF3 but I really hope they got it right in BF4. I think the new PS4 controller might help solve most of them.

Mod edit: Only quote a portion of the article and include a link to the full article.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Cant wait for this. Hopefully its made for PS4 instead of a port a few months later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

aindriu80 wrote: »
    It all sounds really exciting. There is tons of stuff I would love to see fixed in BF3 but I really hope they got it right in BF4. I think the new PS4 controller might help solve most of them.

I really want the new controller to help with my drop shooting, the game would be so much more enjoyable for me if I wasn't worried about dropping to the fricking ground every time I try to shoot someone. I can't seem to help myself and the more I concentrate on not doing it the more I do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

It looks like battlefield three only with new 'urban' characters.

Cant wait for this. Hopefully its made for PS4 instead of a port a few months later

Looks like its made but not sure about the pre order option ?
    Next-gen console version coming, despite lack of pre-order options
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/398304/battlefield-4-confirmed-for-ps4-report/
    By Mike Jackson for CVG UK

Electronic Arts has reportedly confirmed that Battlefield 4 is on its way to PlayStation 4.

While it would seem inevitable that the high-end shooter will arrive on Sony and Microsoft's next consoles, developer DICE and publisher EA have been reluctant to even discuss next-gen console versions.
    According to Polygon, however, at least one 'EA official' at GDC was prepared to confirm a PS4 version.

"The game is coming to the Windows PC, PS3, PS4 and Xbox 360, according to Electronic Arts officials," reports Polygon.

"While the PS4 edition is not currently listed on the official pre-order site for the game, an Electronic Arts official confirmed that the game is coming to the platform," it adds.

DICE executive producer Patrick Bach dodged questioning regarding next-gen console versions of BF4 in an interview with CVG today.

BF4's creative director Lars Gustavsson has also refused to confirm a PS4 or next-Xbox version during talks with press at GDC this week.

Battlefield 4 was revealed last night with a visually intense gameplay trailer running on PC, with graphics clearly far beyond the capabilities of current-gen console hardware.

Pre-orders for PS3 and Xbox 360 versions are now open, despite the fact that DICE is yet to show those versions of the game running.

just seen pictures of battlefield 4 alpha turned up here :

http://imgur.com/a/oBF5P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

......Elsewhere, DICE announced that the game will support up to 64-player multiplayer.

Great to hear it on the next gen consoles including the PS4. Commander mode will work on a IPad. I liked seeing the entire building fall down a la BFBC2.

in 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 53,755 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im kinda disappointed that they are going down the route of cod in cashing in each year

For the PC I ****ing have to put up with that bloody prick of a browser launcher
    ugh ugh ugh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Headshot wrote: »
    Im kinda disappointed that they are going down the route of cod in cashing in each year

For the PC I ****ing have to put up with that bloody prick of a browser launcher
    ugh ugh ugh

TBF though CoD installments are often very much the same. At least there seems to be a degree of palpable change (drools at skyscraper destruction) agree with the whole irks at the yearly releases. The DLC coule easily have been stretched over a longer period, or even BFBC3 to change things up.

Advertisement