Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Funny Side of not being straight.

• 17-06-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

There's a lot of depression on this board and I think it's time for a thread highlighting the funny side of being LGBT. This will be a broad topic, from hilarious coming out stories to someone being so ignorant that it made you laugh!

I have two small stories the first which I recalled after reading this post:
    And I haven't seen The Salon but I can say with about 90% certainty that Brian is propagating that image intentionally for the good of his career.
    Men like Brian are in shows like The Salon because a lot of women absolutely love the gay best friend idea.

See, I wouldn't consider myself camp at all, in fact, I pretty much despise anything girly including "doing the hair" or stupid shows like my super sweet boob job or whatever they are.
    But apparantly... :rolleyes: not being straight (anymore) changes all of this? After coming out to a number of friends in college, I decided to come out to one of my best friends in "the real world". She was sitting on one side of the room, and I on the other.
    I turned to her and I said:
    "Name, look I've something to tell ye, and it's kinda big, so can ye keep it under wraps for a while"

She gets that kind of gossipy look in her eye and asks what it is..
    "Eh, I'm bisexual" [Hold Breath awaits shocked gasp]
    Instead however, she lets out a huge squeal, starts clapping her hands frantically, smiles and says "oh my god oh my god oh my god! We can go shopping!!"

I look at her, apalled and just say "Eh, no"
    The utter look of disappointment on her face!

Another time I had to explain to one of my friends over and over again that yes, non-straight people actually did exist in real life and no, they weren't just on the telly. :eek:

So any funny stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

Good idea for a thread!

I love having to explain gay sex to straight guys. I remember one time I was on the bus and heard a gay guy tell his attentive straight friend 'It's kinda like Christmas, either you give the present or they receive it, either way both should enjoy it!'... odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Sitting around listening to a young male acquaintance talk himself up, as only they can, he eventually forgets himself and looks back to me "So, are yah up for it then?"
    Me: "No I'm good thanks"
    Him: "What ya have a fella?"
    Me (smirking): "Nope"
    Him (Sarcastically): "A missus.. HA"
    Me: "Yup"
    He fell over, "Jesus I've never met one of you before!"
    Oh I laughed and I laughed, he didn't mean anything bad by it he genuinely had never met one of me before.

The power to surprise! An epically funny side to not being straight, and I'm guessing you had to be there.

Or the time a girl started giving out to me for telling my appallingly straight friend that she'd disclosed to me she thought said friend might be gay, we just found it ridiculously funny, the irony of the situation! After another helpless fit of laughter I explained to her what was what, she saw the funny side eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

tically): "A missus.. HA"
    Me: "Yup"
    He fell over, "Jesus I've never met one of you before!"
    Oh I laughed and I laughed, he didn't mean anything bad by it he genuinely had never met one of me before.

Ahahahaha!

Just remembered another one there actually, myself and one of my friends who is gay were sitting down drinking some beers while another friend played fifa on his ps2. He obviously made a mistake and shouted at one his players "You Fcuking Fagg0t!!!!" - He then went absolutely scarlet, paused the game and nearly with tears in his eyes he turns to me and my friend going "Ah, lads... seriously... i ... ah... I didn't mean it now.. It just kind of slipped out... I don't ever..."

Myself and my friend just burst into the pisses laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Best 'coming out' that I had:

Me: Name, I'm gay.
    Name: [laughing] No you're not.

He then turned around and went back to eating his dinner. It took about 25 seconds of silence before he realised I hadn't been joking. Possibly doesn't come across as well in text, but we still cry laughing about it now.

I'm also a big fan of any conversation with male friends that turns into a "Girlfriends do crazy ****" moanfest; popping in with the occasional "Yup", "They're crazy alright" and "Women - can't live with 'em. Another pint?" will probably never stop amusing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

PLjXa.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

one of things my mam said when i said i was gay was "if you've never had sex with a man how do you know you're gay?":p i actually had i just told i her i didn't for some reason and i just said "did you have to have sex with a man to know you're straight". she just laughed at her stupidity

one time someone asked me, "so when two gay fellas go out, who pays for the date?"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,736 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

someone I know once had this story: he was going to pink training (a national LGB colleges event) he came back and his mother found the delegate pack, the conversation went like this

# John what's LGB?
    # It's eh Ladies and Gents Basketball
    # John you're too small to play basketball - Are you lesbian and gay
    # No mam
    # Are you bisexual?
    # No
    # Good cause they're all perverts

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

i remember the 1st time I came out to anyone, it was my best mate, night of the LC results... we were staying in her aunt & uncles house, and i was sleeping in thier little kids room, who had moved in with the parents for the night.

Anyway, cue lots of crying, heart opening stuff, and then my mate stopped cold and went-

"Oh my god"

me: "what?"

"the baby monitor... it's still on... they've heard everything!"

me: "****, really?"

"nah, only messing!"

Bitch. Heart was still pounding the next day!!! :D

Also, when I came out to my Mam, she absorbed the info, waited a few weeks then came up to Dublin to see me. She said she'd been doing some research on the internet (I started shuddering at the thought of what she might have found googling 'lesbian teenager', but anyway...) and she said she'd found like a parents support network thing, and they'd had some basic tips, and one of them was not to tell anyone until your child said it was ok.

So she asked me if it was ok if she told some of her friends, and I said "of course, my family knows, it's no secret anymore" and she went "Great, cos I've already told Mary!":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ElectricGirl

I told my sister and her first reaction was "oh my god I will carry a baby for you" I just looked at her and said that I could still carry a kid, I still laugh when I think about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

My friend and I were walking up to the side door at school and she was mad at me for pushing her. I can't remember I did or not, but out conversation went something like

Her: You pushed me! You're so rough and angry and violent!

Me: Um, no...

Her: You're such a manhandler!

Me: *shocked* I'm not a man handler!

Her: Well, you certainly aren't.

It was really, really funny. Although looking at it now, it might have been one of those 'need to be there' moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I was hanging around with some of my 'lad' friends back in someone's house after a night out (I'm a guy, they all know I'm gay) when someone suggested something, can't remember what it was, but basically they all thought it was a good idea and I disagreed so one of them decided to be smart and said,
    "Don't be so anal about it."

That may seem offensive to some people here but if you were there it was actually quality... a lot of these stories seem to be like that actually ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Oh I never thought of the best story!!This girl in my class got her nipple pierced, and everyone was really curious about it. So she was showing it to everyone who wanted to see it. I was kinda grossed out by it and I really wanted to see what it looked like (just the piercing!) but I reckoned if I looked and then I came out/was outed in school then she'd get really weirded out.
    So about half my class were killing time before PE and she wanted to show me. I was still saying "nah, you're grand, you don't need to show me" when her friend comes out with "Ah Aoife, don't worry. No one's going to think you're a lesbian if you look"
    I died laughing on the inside

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

My mother knew I was gay for quite a while before I told my father. She had figured it out after I went to see 'Brokeback Mountain' in the cinema on my own (!). I never thought that either of my parents would have a problem with it, but I was uncomfortable with telling my father for a long time even after my mother knew.

Eventually my mother persuaded me to tell him. I was talking to her in her bedroom and my Dad was in the shower, and for some very odd reason I decided to hide in his wardrobe. When he came out of the bathroom I jumped out of the closet in the flounciest manner possible. He just laughed and said, 'I know!'

I laugh now looking back at it. I am very lucky to have really cool parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Doshea3 wrote: »
    My mother knew I was gay for quite a while before I told my father. She had figured it out after I went to see 'Brokeback Mountain' in the cinema on my own (!).

That reminds me of when my mother.. ehem.. figured it out. She doesn't notice that I only managed to keep any "best friends" for a matter of months max, She doesn't notice the lack of boyfriends, nor does she notice the lack of boyband members half dressed on my wall, or the considerably large amount of female vocalists in their place.. what does she notice? That I saw RENT! the musical, wtf?? Talk about confusing your gay stereotypes..

You know, most people thought I was a gay guy. Ever since I was a teenager, I've been called gay. People in the pub would ask me if I'm gay, I've even been asked "Do ya fancy him?" and not the fact that I've had girlfriends loads of times ever shook that off.
    Even my parents have asked me a few times, sat me down and asked was I gay?
    No. I'm not.
    It's ok if you are, we'll understand, we still love you!

I've been constantly having to tell people that no, I am NOT gay!
    So then when it came to coming out as transgender, and then having to explain my sexuality! Holy hell. Especially when my mother asked. :eek:

So, do you like boys?
    No, I've told you all along!
    You like girls?
    YES! That's what I've been trying to tell you!!
    So you're a lesbian?
    Um, yeah I guess so.
    So you ARE gay!!!

1007.facepalm2.jpg

There's no getting away from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

I had spent many a confused time in my life, was a very late starter and had just finished a long straight relationship and decided to 'come out' as bisexual first. My baby sister was the first person I talked to in my family. I was so nervous I didnt know what to say so it went something like this....

Me: I've something to tell you
    Sis: go on, what is it?
    Me; I think I might be Bisexual
    Sis: are ya sure you're not a full blown lesbian?

She wasnt a bit surprised. doh

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mollzer wrote: »
    She wasnt a bit surprised. doh
    Similar here - I was outed to my family, and my mum's reaction was "Well, that was the worst kept secret in the history of everything".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Similar here - I was outed to my family, and my mum's reaction was "Well, that was the worst kept secret in the history of everything".

On a similar note, many years on I'm still trying to find out what basis my mothers "I had my suspicions...." response to me coming out came from :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭akaspike

Came out about 5 years ago but my mother still hopes that i’ll find a good woman to straighten me out!

Anyway, The entire family were in the car making our way to the reception after attending a wedding the other week. Mum thinking she was being a smart ass turns and says -Spike whatever you do don’t be having a wedding in the summer, i don’t think i could handle it ( in reference to the warm weather). So i turned to her and said - it doesn't matter when i have it, i don’t think you’d be able to handle it. Cue silence and then sniggers from my sisters and a smile from my father. I wanted to top it off with a In your face Mum, but left it at that.

When my brother was getting married a few years ago, he was making a speech. In the speech he thanks my mother by saying “ I’d like to thank my mother for bringing me up straight” clearly not referring to his sexuality. But cue the majority of the guest looking at each other and thinking did he just say what i think he said, and then laughter. I thought it was funny as it was taken out of context and after the speech he did appolgised for what had happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

MYOB wrote: »
    On a similar note, many years on I'm still trying to find out what basis my mothers "I had my suspicions...." response to me coming out came from :eek:

God, all mother's have great perception. All I got from mine when I came out was "I kinda guessed that alright when you were 7 when your Uncle Thomas bought you a Barbie for Christmas, and you locked yourself in your bedroom crying your eyes out because you wanted the Action Man he'd bought your brother instead".

Saddest part about it is she knew when I was 7, I didn't bloody realise myself til I was 21 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

As a trans person, I face different challenges.

Picture this. I'm not yet out at work, so my work colleagues only know the male me, and only know my male name.

And one of the people I work with is called "Deirdre".

I'm just waiting for the day when someone says "hey, Deirdre", and the two of us say "yes?".

Hasn't happened to me (yet), but I know someone who it has happened to.

One of the funny changes I noticed about myself shortly after I started my gender journey was that, in male mode, I was constantly forgetting to zip up my fly after going to the toilet. The reason? I was getting too used to wearing skirts, and skirts don't have flys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

Speaking of the funny side of being trans, I reckon this is the funniest video on all of youtube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktKIBXxdDXU

Speaking of the funny side of being trans, I reckon this is the funniest video on all of youtube -

She is absolutely brilliant! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

Originally Posted by deirdre_dub View Post

I am embarrassed for her and laughing my ass off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

akaspike wrote: »
    Came out about 5 years ago but my mother still hopes that i’ll find a good woman to straighten me out!

Anyway, The entire family were in the car making our way to the reception after attending a wedding the other week. Mum thinking she was being a smart ass turns and says -Spike whatever you do don’t be having a wedding in the summer, i don’t think i could handle it ( in reference to the warm weather). So i turned to her and said - it doesn't matter when i have it, i don’t think you’d be able to handle it. Cue silence and then sniggers from my sisters and a smile from my father.

Love it... can imagine it in my house!!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Possibly more nerdy than anything else, but there are quite a few people I know who this reminded me of! (the most recent Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal cartoon)

20100703.gif

sexchange2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

This is a real, 1950s video shown in schools around the USA. The ignorance and tone of the video cracks me up everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

A video like that is not the same without Troy McClure :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

'so if a man becomes a woman is he still a gay man would you have sex with her, cause like she's still a man what about drag queens are you attracted to them do you wanna dress as a woman?'
    from my female best friend

friend 'omg what ******...oh i'm sorry'
    me 'stop apologising you homo'

mother 'i could fancy a woman you're father might like a man'
    father '**** off no'

Advertisement