Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

micks wrote: »
    We'll never know , I've never experienced it but i know a good few that have been late for boarding with many airlines including RA all get called but the ones with this experience with RA got to the gate late and were booted off the flight and charged another fare to fly again maybe justified, as i say i've never been late but yet another example of RA making more mun
    If they were late they were late. Ryanair do not call passenger names since they do not check which passenger names are on the flight straight away when boarding like aerlingus etc. do.
    we cant and they prob were gone but the issue is the clarity of the whole situation - how can you keep below a weight if the scales are inaccurate? Imagine doing 95 km/hr on a 100km/hr road and a garda pulls you and does you for being over the speed limit ?
    There was 2 cases each had bits taken out and placed in 2 seperate carrier bags. 1 case and the bits that were taken out of it (now in 1 carrier bag) were placed on the 2nd scales and weighed 14.9 having previously weighed 17. There was a difference in the scales
    If the scales were off wouldn't they have registered 2kg before you even put the bag on the first scales?
    Fair enough but as i say its the lack of clarity
    I have never seen an issue with this. It is impossible to get everyone to understand the way it works unless you went around to everyone and spent the time explaining - there would still be some that wouldn't fully get it.
    I agree and wasn't expecting anything else but can you imagine getting the 79 bus at Eden Quay only to get there, queue, and just before the bus was due to leave be told it was leaving from Aston Quay?
    At over €300 a head return I seems i did pick one of the more expensive airlines!
    I'll learn from this and if possible will be avoiding RA in future
    Are you saying there were people at the gate queueing for a Ryanair flight only to be stopped? Where along this queue did they decide - "actually no one else is going on this flight"? I don't fully understand what you are saying happened here. How soon before the flight did you book this flight? You say you paid 300 euro but how much would it have cost with another airline booked on the same day for travelling on the days you travelled?
    I went there expecting the bus but was p1ssed off by what I saw was a disregard for customers and tried to rip people off at every opportunity that's my opinion .
    I haven't seen anywhere yet where they tried to rip people off. I have flown with them so many times and never once has anyone tried to rip me off.
    I did check the price, I didnt check that it hadnt changed. Since this is a transaction Ive done a hundred times before, and a transaction Ive done with Ryanair before, I had no reason to expect it would. And thats what Ryan air were hoping for, that they could slip in a charge without people noticing but still have a solid defence.
    They tell you right beside where you enter your credit card details that there is a handling fee. What do you need - neon flashing lights?

Proxy wrote: »
    Yeah I did, and looking at it again it says the incorrect date.

But the time difference shouldn't matter, its that I didn't pick that date - its in 2009!
    It is strange that this only happened to you though and is not a regular occurance if there is a glitch on their system.

Is it possible that you used the scroll wheel on your mouse to scroll down the page. If the drop down box is selected when you use the scroll wheel on your mouse then it will change the selected item in the drop down box in some browsers (internet explorer for example).

It is possible then that you didnt notice that the wrong month was picked since the date (as in the day of the month) was correct. Also the month/year was probably the last drop down box you selected and since it was the return flight date that was incorrect i.e. you most likely picked the return flight dates last, which adds to the above logical reason.

This seems like the most logical explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Anyone know when Ryanair release their June 09 flights to Europe? Thanks in advance.
    PS - would be great if someone knew the same for Aer Lingus?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

axer wrote: »

If the scales were off wouldn't they have registered 2kg before you even put the bag on the first scales?

Not necessarily, I see what you mean but the scales had an electronic read out so the weight would have to be converted to a digital signal or whatever and maybe not converted at the... exact ratio required .....

Are you saying there were people at the gate queueing for a Ryanair flight only to be stopped? Where along this queue did they decide - "actually no one else is going on this flight"? I don't fully understand what you are saying happened here. How soon before the flight did you book this flight? You say you paid 300 euro but how much would it have cost with another airline booked on the same day for travelling on the days you travelled?
    We queued at gate "a" right p to maybe 5 minutes before we were due to board and then the flight no. changed on the tv screen at that gate, and there was a bit of a scramble trying to find where the flight changed to all with no announcement explaining the change.
    Didnt try any other airlines for flights made a killing with a deal on hotel so flight price didn't really matter within reason.Not an issue just making point atht it wasn't a €39 flight it was more or less full price.

I haven't seen anywhere yet where they tried to rip people off. I have flown with them so many times and never once has anyone tried to rip me off.
    they tried to charge me €15 per kilo rather than the €10 per kilo on my ticket that to me is trying to rip me off and i prob would have paid the €10 but was a bit peeved at the €15 when i pointed it out on the ticket she wasn't interested

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Cheap flights isnt an excuse.

If you book cheap accomadation you have no right to complain about poor facilities / poor location. Likewise with ryanair you might expect self check-in, no bags, no assigned seats, no in-flight meal etc

But being cheap is not an excuse to be deliberately misleading or intentionally unhelpful

When i buy a ryanair ticket, all i expect for the money i paid is a seat on the plane

• Advertisement

Woden wrote: »
    A quick whine about ryanair before I wrap up for the weekend. Have not flown with them recently fortunately but I was in the position of booking some flights for my mother and brother to visit. Fair enough to pay to check in at the airport as there is no printer at home and it was just easier to not do it online in a net cafe. Fair enough they pass the credit card transaction charge onto the customer.

But seriously 5 euro per person per flight surely that is excessive. 20 euro of a charge to use the credit card? I recall it being like 3.50 at some point.

Its probably all in the T&Cs, ryanair are a company, companies exist to make money

One thing that really pissed me off was on return from Reus. The Luggage limit per passenger - fair enough 15kg per passenger. We weighed our bags all 4 of us were below 15Kgs 2 just about but used 3 scales to make sure.

Where did you find 3 scales? And what type of scales were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Where did you find 3 scales? And what type of scales were they?
    Hotel had a baggage storage room for after checking out and they had 3 scales in them, maybe used to RA. Just bog standard scales I'm not arguing the validity of these scales just the two in the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

Pal is still waiting at Doncaster airport for a flight to Dub that should have left at 19.10. It hasnt even left Dub yet to get to Doncaster. They are telling passengers at Doncaster NOTHING. I am relaying info from the Doncaster airport website to them that it is showing as now scheduled to leave Doncaster at 23.45.
    I looked at the Realtime Flight info page on Ryanair website - it says last updated at 15.00 today and guess what it is showing EVERY single flight as "on time". A check on Dublin airport website shows that the vast majority of Ryanair departures this eveing are late.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Well, just to comment on the guy earlier about missing his flight by the gate, this has actually happened to a couple of ppl at Murcia airport and nearly myself once. There are only 2 gates there and they don't change the signs over the gate, so when you look at the gate and see boarding London (instead of Shannon/Dublin) just be aware of this. It could actually be your line!

On the Priority seating issue. They're now charging e10 each way for this even if you have no bags to checkin (on-line checkin). This was free when you had no bags a couple of weeks ago and was e8.

Plus, at Alicante airport when I was in the non priority queue ppl with no stickers were actually queuing in the priority queue and getting past no problem. Very much a rip off. I then had to get on a lift cause I had a childs buggy and was at the very top of the queue again downstairs before getting on the plane. So really this is very much a money racket by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

just back from a weeks trip to the south of france. check in for flight out was faultless, got on our plane which was nearly fully booked halfway down the regulars queue, and got two seats together, and even ended up with one spare between us so we could lie out. arrived 25 minutes early at destination!! bags came out in no time, and we got on our way to our holiday. flew back today. check in was fast and efficient, airport (carcassone) has expanded its departure area a bit, and installed air conditioning with money made from ryanair. flight home was smooth, and made it 15 minutes early. bags were the 2nd and 5th off the plane. :D

ryanair, well done. now if only we could get cheaper credit card charges itd be perfect. oh, and fly to perpignan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

mobpd wrote: »
    Pal is still waiting at Doncaster airport for a flight to Dub that should have left at 19.10. It hasnt even left Dub yet to get to Doncaster. They are telling passengers at Doncaster NOTHING. I am relaying info from the Doncaster airport website to them that it is showing as now scheduled to leave Doncaster at 23.45.
    I looked at the Realtime Flight info page on Ryanair website - it says last updated at 15.00 today and guess what it is showing EVERY single flight as "on time". A check on Dublin airport website shows that the vast majority of Ryanair departures this eveing are late.....

To be fair on Ryanair, a lot of evening flights out of Dublin airport are often late, meaning that the return legs are late too. I fly Brussels to Dublin regularly on a Friday evening with Aer Lingus and the flight from Dublin has never once arrived on time.

I posted on my blog about this previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Riche670

One has to laugh at Ryanair.

Please see below, an extract from my travel itinerary for flights to Milan which I recently purchased.

PAYMENT DETAILS

********40.00 EUR Total Fare

*********0.00 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges

********20.00 EUR Passenger Fee: CC

********60.00 EUR Total Paid

Now I'll admit the flights were a bargain @ €20 each way, but this magical, mysterious "Passenger Fee" which was too important to make it into the "Taxes, FEES & Charges" sub-heading is just hysterical.

We've gone from the days where airlines claimed to have stopped putting fuel surcharges on flights, to our modern and innovative "Passenger Fees".

Laughable.

Riche670 wrote: »

Please see below, an extract from my travel itinerary for flights to Milan which I recently purchased.

PAYMENT DETAILS

Now I'll admit the flights were a bargain @ €20 each way, but this magical, mysterious "Passenger Fee" which was too important to make it into the "Taxes, FEES & Charges" sub-heading is just hysterical.

We've gone from the days where airlines claimed to have stopped putting fuel surcharges on flights, to our modern and innovative "Passenger Fees".

Laughable.
    "Passenger Fee CC" Its the charge for using your credit card to pay. If you used visa elctron, its free. :rolleyes: Its all there in plain sight on the site.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

PAYMENT DETAILS

Laughable.
    Milan. €60.00. Jesus Id go even to turn around and come straight back for that money.:)

The CC charge is very well publicised. Not liked, but well known about.

PAYMENT DETAILS

Laughable.
    and a bargin at €30 euro each way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

and a bargin at €30 euro each way
    I think it is a testament to O'Leary's success that people are on an internet board whining about paying €30 each way to travel to Italy.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

ahhh come on, he wasn't really whining about it

btw is there any basis in reality for a €20 cc fee? seems outrageous

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭hargo

PAYMENT DETAILS

Laughable.

Thats €30 return per person, card charges are €5 each way, therefore 2 return flights.
    Get off your knees and stop whinging.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No basis whatsoever, but they can do it. Theyre shooting fish in a barrell. At the very most the card company that processes it is charging 2.5 -3% fee on the amounts processed. So its a sneaky way to generate extra revenue. And if you were in their position youd do it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

PAYMENT DETAILS

Laughable.

Another person who can't read but complains about Ryanair. If you're not happy fly with someone else. I'd like to see you get there for that price though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Another person who can't read but complains about Ryanair. If you're not happy fly with someone else. I'd like to see you get there for that price though.

What amazes me is the way Ryanair get nailed with anything they charge while Aer Lingus get away scott free with their even higher charges. Pick a flight for example from Dublin to Gatwick. Both the same airports, both "taxes and charges" should be the same. Aer Lingus for a given fare each way is ALWAYS more expensive than Ryanair for the same or even higher fare after the "Taxes and Charges" are added on. No one seems to bat an eyelid. Everyone seems happy to pay €150 for a fuel surcharge across the Atlantic too. And not to mention "taxes and charges" for the Shannon - Dublin flight, even though there's supposed to be no taxes for internal flights!
    I like Ryanair. Even after so-called "hidden" charges they're still cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Its Just the way these charges are pegged on, there is no where on gods earth except at ryanair that Cr card transactions are charged €20 by the cr card processors for a single transaction, its just a way of loading the ticket cost, so why not just be honest and price the ticket truefully up front. To be honest I would now rather pay more for a flight on an airline that gives better service and allows me to retain my sense of dignity. As a family group traveling to the UK I would rather take my car by ferry without baggage restrictions, checkin fees eachway, baggage fees each way and have the use of my car rather then paying to rent a car or paying for airport transfers

Ryanair ticket cost 0.00 x4 = 0.00 The cheapest
    airport tax E25 each way x 4 = 200
    checkin E5 each way x 4 =40
    baggage each way x 4 E64
    Airport transfers E10 ew x4 = E80

Total E380

ferry about E220 round trip plus LPG fuel cost at UKP 00.55 per ltr

So its a no brainer for me, take the car with far less restrictions to the UK.

If one is traveling alone well its better to let Ryanair rob you of your dignity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

zuroph wrote: »
    "Passenger Fee CC" Its the charge for using your credit card to pay. If you used visa elctron, its free. :rolleyes: Its all there in plain sight on the site.
    Then why is it mentioned a couple of times in this thread. Im sorry, but it is not well publicised, look at the aerlingus site for an example of a well publicised cc fee.

Ryanair are still cheap, but they do try and mislead people

c4cat wrote: »

Ryanair ticket cost 0.00 x4 = 0.00 The cheapest
    airport tax E25 each way x 4 = 200
    checkin E5 each way x 4 =40
    baggage each way x 4 E64
    Airport transfers E10 ew x4 = E80

Total E380

ferry about E220 round trip plus LPG fuel cost at UKP 00.55 per ltr

So its a no brainer for me, take the car with far less restrictions to the UK.

If one is traveling alone well its better to let Ryanair rob you of your dignity
    just on check in, it might be worth considering budnling some of your luggage allowance, only need to check in 2 people tops in a family really. kids luggage shouldnt really come to above 10kg in this case, so no baggage charge for them either. as for airport transfers, 80 is quite excessive, parking for a week would even be cheaper. get a friend/relative to drop you.
    there, i've saved you 134euro.

Then why is it mentioned a couple of times in this thread. Im sorry, but it is not well publicised, look at the aerlingus site for an example of a well publicised cc fee.

Ryanair are still cheap, but they do try and mislead people
    because some people cant read simple charges. it even come up in a pop up on ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have flown Ryanair plenty of times over the last 14 years to see everything they throw at people. Some of their staff can be really nasty for nastiness sake.

I have now opened a basic Halifax account here in Britain and got myself an Electron card (these are like Gold dust!) All I need is my passport renewed and I can play Ryanair at their own game and get away with paying the absolute minimum.

zuroph wrote: »
    just on check in, it might be worth considering budnling some of your luggage allowance, only need to check in 2 people tops in a family really. kids luggage shouldnt really come to above 10kg in this case, so no baggage charge for them either. as for airport transfers, 80 is quite excessive, parking for a week would even be cheaper. get a friend/relative to drop you.
    there, i've saved you 134euro.

Thats the point I am p!$$ED OFF with having to have ltd luggage and asking family or friends to run you to the airport would cause me to lose friendships especially if it was a 6.30 am flight

why do you think E80 is expensive 4 persons WHEN ACTUALLY FOR A FAMILY GROUP OF 4 ITS EVEN MORE THEN THAT!!! from home to Dublin airport 4xE7 = E28 then depending which airport you fly to, one has to pay at least E10 per person so thats now E68 Now for the return Trip and we are actually upto E132 just in bus fares getting to and from the airports at the point of Departure and destination, Then there are all of the hidden charges that Ryanair will impose . For families traveling to the UK Ryanair is now far too expesive an option. I have found it much better taking the evening ferry crossings. Just drive on to the boat for a 2 hr sailing then staying overnight in a travelodge hotel with nice family rooms for UKP19. So much less stress then dealing with walking kms through dublin airport to get to the scrum to board a Ryanairplane

I have flown Ryanair plenty of times over the last 14 years to see everything they throw at people. Some of their staff can be really nasty for nastiness sake.

I have now opened a basic Halifax account here in Britain and got myself an Electron card (these are like Gold dust!) All I need is my passport renewed and I can play Ryanair at their own game and get away with paying the absolute minimum.

I have tried using Electron cards on ryanair bookings, you will find that the card will not go through as an electon card and you have to select visa debit then you get charged the visa debit card fee of E5

• Advertisement

c4cat wrote: »
    Thats the point I am p!$$ED OFF with having to have ltd luggage and asking family or friends to run you to the airport would cause me to lose friendships especially if it was a 6.30 am flight

why do you think E80 is expensive 4 persons WHEN ACTUALLY FOR A FAMILY GROUP OF 4 ITS EVEN MORE THEN THAT!!! from home to Dublin airport 4xE7 = E28 then depending which airport you fly to, one has to pay at least E10 per person so thats now E68 Now for the return Trip and we are actually upto E132 just in bus fares getting to and from the airports at the point of Departure and destination, Then there are all of the hidden charges that Ryanair will impose . For families traveling to the UK Ryanair is now far too expesive an option. I have found it much better taking the evening ferry crossings. Just drive on to the boat for a 2 hr sailing then staying overnight in a travelodge hotel with nice family rooms for UKP19. So much less stress then dealing with walking kms through dublin airport to get to the scrum to board a Ryanairplane
    Ryanair are hardly going to be the best option for every type of trip. They cater for a specific market only.

Advertisement