Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Moto G from Tesco for £129.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Hi has anyone updated an unlocked tesco moto g to lollipop yet? I keep checking settings-system updates but doesnt come up. Just wondering as anyone got it yet through any method? Does update depend on network phone is currently on? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hi has anyone updated an unlocked tesco moto g to lollipop yet? I keep checking settings-system updates but doesnt come up. Just wondering as anyone got it yet through any method? Does update depend on network phone is currently on? Thanks

The update is not out yet, only for the Google edition of the phone. You can convert your phone to google edition, but TBH you're better off waiting for the official update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

loyatemu wrote: »
    The update is not out yet, only for the Google edition of the phone. You can convert your phone to google edition, but TBH you're better off waiting for the official update.

Grand thanks..yea i rooted an htc before and it wouldnt accept original rom when i tried to revert back, swore id never do it again. Ill wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,179 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is there any reason I shouldn't get the 4G version?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

The 4g version is going to be £99 on tesco direct this Monday. Would prefer to buy from amazon but it's nearly £40 dearer there! Seriously tempted.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tesco-mobile-motorola-moto-g-4g-white-black-99-tesco-direct-instore-starts-monday-2132223

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

noodler wrote: »
    Is there any reason I shouldn't get the 4G version?
    Over the second gen model? If you want a bigger screen, better camera, or 4G isn't useful to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

the £99 deal is a serious bargain. €2 for an unlock code.
    <€135 all in with parcel motel is as good as you'll get.

Tesco direct are awful to deal with if you've a problem though, has to be posted back from the North so something to take into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Does Tesco Direct one lock to the first network SIM that's put in (as Meteor store ones did)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Does Tesco Direct one lock to the first network SIM that's put in (as Meteor store ones did)?

No it needs to be unlocked but its only €2 to do so on e bay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

NATLOR wrote: »
    No it needs to be unlocked but its only €2 to do so on e bay

you got a link who is the best on ebay to get this unlocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Anyone put Cyanogenmod 12 on this? Sick of waiting for Android L OTA at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Aspiring wrote: »
    Anyone put Cyanogenmod 12 on this? Sick of waiting for Android L OTA at this stage.

CM12 is very much work in progress and only partially working.

T-Bird wrote: »
    CM12 is very much work in progress and only partially working.

The XDA thread says buggy GPS is the only problem? I think a lot of the issues which had been present have been ironed out, no?

The XDA thread says buggy GPS is the only problem? I think a lot of the issues which had been present have been ironed out, no?

Just looked at it now and your correct. I looked at it last week and saw they're were quite a few bugs. Chose to install CM11 instead.

I was happy with the stock version, but it had an annoying problem in cutting off calls...

Calls work perfect now.

Hmm but CM12 looks tempting now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

gustafo wrote: »
    you got a link who is the best on ebay to get this unlocked?

There a lot of sellers to choose from, the guy i used isn't listed anymore but
    this seller has good feedback and over 35000 sales so a safe bet to use them

T-Bird wrote: »
    Just looked at it now and your correct. I looked at it last week and saw they're were quite a few bugs. Chose to install CM11 instead.

I was happy with the stock version, but it had an annoying problem in cutting off calls...

Calls work perfect now.

Hmm but CM12 looks tempting now.....

Do you know if unlocking the boot loader voids the warranty? That's the only reason I've been reluctant up to now. There's a lot of conflicting information online, a lot of people saying that EU law says modifying software doesn't impact warranty, etc. Not sure what the story with my warranty would be anyway since it was bought from Tesco UK :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Based on previous experience does anyone expect Amazon to drop the price a bit on Monday as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

macjohn wrote: »
    Based on previous experience does anyone expect Amazon to drop the price a bit on Monday as well?

Yea, I'm hoping the same. No idea what the odds are though. I would imagine the 5" version should be due for a price drop too.

Amazon have never price matched tesco as far as I'm aware.

Do you know if unlocking the boot loader voids the warranty? That's the only reason I've been reluctant up to now. There's a lot of conflicting information online, a lot of people saying that EU law says modifying software doesn't impact warranty, etc. Not sure what the story with my warranty would be anyway since it was bought from Tesco UK :pac:

Not entirely certain, but think so.

I had problem with colour leaking last year and had to send out back to tesco direct.

I just reinstalled stock and relocked before I sent it back (twice).

It's quiet a process unlocking, modoco has a good guide. Once unlocked, there's a great big warning sign at every boot. But that can be switched off with the aio software on xda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,179 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Over the second gen model? If you want a bigger screen, better camera, or 4G isn't useful to you.

Thanks for that.

I guess 4G plus the cheaper price would outweigh the bigger screen and better camera for me.

Was posted in the previous page.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Got the Moto G (second Gen) from handtec, worked out cheaper than Amazon. Not bothered about 4G but wanted a dual sim phone. Its a great phone and in my view great value for money. Easily as good as phones twice the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Aye. When that Tesco deal kicks in on Monday, it will be £99 + £2 unlocking = £101 --> €135 + €3.95 Parcel Motel = great phone for under €140.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Will this be live from Mid night tonight, does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Probably sold out 5 mins after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Worth buying for that price do you think? I'm after a new phone. Much issues reported with this model?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Still looking for the 2nd gen at a decent price, if anyone comes across it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

In Argos atm for €189.95 with a €20 voucher back (until 3 February only) — so €169.95, kind of.

Edit: sorry, just saw it's out of stock everywhere...

Advertisement