Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learning Aims

• 30-01-2015 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Just wondering the procedure teachers have in their classes for announcing the learning aims/objectives/outcomes....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

powerpoint page at beginning of lesson 'We are learning to' and then listed in bullet form.
    I don't do it for majority of my lessons though!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

Old fashioned as it might be, I sometimes say "so today lads were going to be looking at/talking about......."

Old fashioned as it might be, I sometimes say "so today lads were going to be looking at/talking about......."

:-) That's usually more my style!!!!

And always the 'So, what did we learn today?' at the end to recap!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 userb

in the case of an observation/ drive by, would teachers tend to be more formal and state The aim of the lesson is; the objectives are...

Are aims and objectives both necessary?

userb wrote: »
    in the case of an observation/ drive by, would teachers tend to be more formal and state The aim of the lesson is; the objectives are...

I might, I might not. If it fits, I might. If it is too awkward, I wouldn't. For some things, stating the learning aims/objectives can be difficult!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Don't put on a show for the inspector, in spite of what a lot of teachers think they aren't morons and will see through it.

Lol; I know it is enough sometimes to state today we are doing! Alot is made of the learning objectives/aim in departmental literature.... is all...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Just wondering the procedure teachers have in their classes for announcing the learning aims/objectives/outcomes....

Sometimes it works better for them to find out as they go along. It totally depends on the situation. If you feel it's necessary, then just simply stating it

Lol; I know! Of course It is enough sometimes to state today we are doing... Alot is made of the learning objectives/aim in departmental literature.... and making sure the objectives are measurable....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I changed my "date and heading" on the board at the start of a lesson, to "date and learning objective" so it's a sentence, very simple change.

I also have laminated sheets at the top of the room where I write each years learning objective at the same time as writing it on the board. Wipe clean once a week or as often as needed. Very useful for revision purposes, seniors know what will be on their weekly test based on this, and kids know what they've missed (if they don't understand something they can see what they missed and how that would help them with what they're doing at the moment)

At a recent inspection, we were told to include a skill as a knowledge or information based objective (I teach science)

• Advertisement

Just wondering for language- listening, speaking reading, writing...
    What do you mean a lamentated sheet for each year... sorry tiring week!

I saw in another school they had learning objectives/ literacy and numeracy/ homework; curious to know what they wrote in literacy and numeracy box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I saw in another school they had learning objectives/ literacy and numeracy/ homework; curious to know what they wrote in literacy and numeracy box

Sharing objectives at the beginning of the class can actually take the fun out of it. I think the teacher should know the objective but do the kids need to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Sharing objectives at the beginning of the class can actually take the fun out of it. I think the teacher should know the objective but do the kids need to?

Sometimes it helps them to focus, but you have to know when it's likely to work and when not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think the tide is turning on considering writing up learning objectives best practice without exception. For several years now it has been a hobby horse of the inspectorate - something they seemed obsessed with. Recently though we have had a few subject inspectors say it would depend on the style of lesson and one openly say it was often time wasting nonsense but that the box must be ticked. I have also recently found that many teaching practice inspectors are telling student teachers not to bother with it.

I do it sometimes but not always. Sometimes I just announce them and recap them orally, other times I write them. I would usually include them if using a PowerPoint though. In science I find they often slot in better part the way through the lesson after some initial discovery and discussion.

What do you mean a lamentated sheet for each year... sorry tiring week!

Poor explanation on my part! Just an a4 sheet, 2nd, 3rd, 6th printed on the top of each, and I write the same learning objectives on them that I write on the board at the start of the lesson, just in a whiteboard marker, and then rub off every week or so.

In science I find they often slot in better part the way through the lesson after some initial discovery and discussion.

Definitely agree with this. Sometimes I leave the heading blank and get them to decide what it was they learnt and write it in at the end of the lesson.

I did think that one tip at an in-service inspection was good- that as each aim was achieved the teacher would either remind the students of this or write them up.

Advertisement