Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

pajero sport,should i buy??

• 29-11-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

hey guys, seen a lot of threads on this but i thought id add another one. this is my first post so not expecting big reply but thanks for looking

ok i have a 99 audi a6 1.9td red i at the moment, im driving about 50 minutes to an hour back and forth from work. car has few suspension probs and passenger window not working but other than that the car is fine and fairly economical, 20 quid will get me to work and home twice and maybe back to work.

but im thinking of getting a jeep now, i kinda need it for the farm at home and going down to some fields that only a tractor would normaly go down, and aswell as that i have very bad roads to travel to work on and if it snows im up **** creek but would be slightly safer in a 4x4. but....

my question is should i stick with the 40-50mpg car or go for the 16-23mpg jeep?
    bearing in mind i would be doing a px with the car and only parting with a max of 300-500 quid....... and tax on audi is 590, tax on jeep 288 also have girlfriends car if i need to carry more than one person at a time
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don't do it.
    Use the tractor for the fields, the pajo sport is a pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 reillypadraig

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Don't do it.
    Use the tractor for the fields, the pajo sport is a pig.

is it that bad?????

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

20 Squids might get you to a 50min/Hour commute but it wont get you home in a Paj Sport ... :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Buy an old 4X4 for the farm only. Are you really going to be taking a mud/dung spattered jeep into work?
    Bad roads will eventually tell on a 4X4 any way.
    For snow, next time, buy an Audi Quattro. :D

Oh...........it's not going to snow this year................... I was talking to a bee-keeper and he's never been wrong.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Buy an old 4X4 for the farm only. Are you really going to be taking a mud/dung spattered jeep into work?
    Bad roads will eventually tell on a 4X4 any way.
    For snow, next time, buy an Audi Quattro. :D

Oh...........it's not going to snow this year................... I was talking to a bee-keeper and he's never been wrong.
    Lol wish I could afford the Quattro. Not sure if I could afford to buy without a trade. I'll have to weigh up both options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kawasaki1100

I bought a Trooper just for the land, you can can buy them very cheap cos nobody wants them plus you can run it on the green stuff.:D

I bought a Trooper just for the land, you can can buy them very cheap cos nobody wants them plus you can run it on the green stuff.:D
    I mite look them up. Not a bad idea thanks

Buy the trooper in the North and whip the plates off it they have bags of power. They even run on kero plus taste of engine oil,cheap,cheap,cheap:D

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Lol wish I could afford the Quattro. Not sure if I could afford to buy without a trade. I'll have to weigh up both options

To be honest if you can't afford the quattro you can't afford to commute an hour a day in a jeep. They are a costly machine to maintain as well, just yesterday i changed the timing belt and 5 switches in the transfer box as the 4x4 lights were flashing, 550 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

[QUOTE=kawasaki1100;757399 you can run it on the green stuff.:D[/QUOTE]

Legally you can't.

• Advertisement

aujopimur wrote: »
    Legally you can't.

dam shame you cant, but be good if you could, is it true there is a new machine the gaurds have to test your emissions for the green stuff rather than dip ya?? cause its only customs that can dip

dam shame you cant, but be good if you could, is it true there is a new machine the gaurds have to test your emissions for the green stuff rather than dip ya?? cause its only customs that can dip
    Not sure about this, haven't heard anything yet. Jet A1 is your answer, clear like diesel and around a euro a litre.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Legally you can't.
    Yes you can if you dont use it on the road:)

Not sure about this, haven't heard anything yet. Jet A1 is your answer, clear like diesel and around a euro a litre.
    What is Jet A1?. Its not that home made diesel is it, the stuff with the green taken out of it?

jet engine fuel, basically similar as kerosene, very close to diesel but doesn't have as much lubricating properties which can be hard on diesel pumps, but if mixed with wither a bit of oil or diesel it works well. I wouldn't use it on new diesel engines but older ones no problem. I know of a trooper that has 130000 miles on it without any problems. Not that i condone any sort of illegal activity :D

Buy the trooper in the North and whip the plates off it they have bags of power. They even run on kero plus taste of engine oil,cheap,cheap,cheap:D

Ah yes as above, tried and proven. I was stopped and dipped by the customs in Dungannon my tank was full to the gills of Kero with a litre of engine oil added,to be honest i was brickin it as the customs lady was doing the test but i passed no problem:D

Ya they are just looking for color, I'm sure if they took a sample and tested they would know right away but don't think they have the mobile test units like they do in the uk. Jet A burns a lot cleaner too so if you have a car/jeep thats failing emissions, a tank of that and its sorted. Put a 1988 pajero through the nct a few years ago and they couldn't believe how low the emissions were.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Ya its a big move from car to jeep, my L200 will do a 50 min drive thats from my house to Letterkenny and back on 20 quid and will do a few miles after that too, still i remember when i had a 1.9tdi A4 way back in my boy racer days with 18" wheels and with the bejaysus screwed out out of the pump and 20 quid would still last me a right while driving about aimlessly tryin to look cool:o

Ya they are just looking for color, I'm sure if they took a sample and tested they would know right away but don't think they have the mobile test units like they do in the uk. Jet A burns a lot cleaner too so if you have a car/jeep thats failing emissions, a tank of that and its sorted. Put a 1988 pajero through the nct a few years ago and they couldn't believe how low the emissions were.
    They have all the gear and can diagnose exactly what you have in your tank it can depend how big their checkpoint is compared to just a random dip. I was at school with a guy who is now a customs man so i get all the inside track info.
    Just a note to our friend thats thinking of buying a jeep, if you are buying a Trooper buy the 3.1 litre. They replaced the 3.1 in 1999 the 3litre which was a ball of confusion. Iv had both of them and the 3litre broke my [url]heart:mad[/url]:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Keep on topic please, no more discussion of illegal fuel use.

• Advertisement

What about biofuel,its legal. Anybody know where it can be bought?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭4odh4n

I had a similar debate with myself over the last while!, i currently have a similar run (40-50mins) to work and back. at the min i run a yaris for the daily run, and have an old 95 shogun for farming and towing (cost 2k two years ago)
    20quid will take the yaris to work and back for 2/2.5 days, jeep will do one.
    Problem is the oul jeep is getting on a bit and needed a fair bit of work for the doe this year so i considered a newer jeep and use it for work aswell, but the running costs didnt add up, with having to tax it private (i was prob going to get a crew cab so would still be able to carry passengers, and didnt want to end up with hassle from guards/customs running commercial tax going to work!), had nearly double the fuel costs, not to mention dearer servicing/breakdown costs!
    Old jeep prob uses 30€ every two weeks running about and saves the car from the muck and smells so I have just re tested the old girl even though it cost 400€ to get it up to the mark :eek:
    saying all that, i would have been stranded the last two winters without the jeep and it is brilliant for about the farm, but only i need something with the towing capacity it probably is not really that cost effective!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

my question is should i stick with the 40-50mpg car or go for the 16-23mpg jeep?
    Where are you getting those figures from? :eek:

Advertisement