Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

War Thunder first tank gameplay

Options
  • 12-10-2013 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Probably old news to most of ye, but this is alpha footage of WT Ground Forces at some game show (2:30 mins in)

I for one cant wait as WoT has become a shadow of the game it once was

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm skeptical about it. What the video shows is the arcade mode, which seems fairly simplistic. The combined arms mode suggests the tanks are very exposed to aircraft currently. I suspect the end result of aircraft, tanks, AA vehicles etc all mixed will be too chaotic, and the focus on the tanks is lost. Plus there's the larger issue of WT being too pay to win friendly. But competition for WoT can't be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Spear wrote: »
    I'm skeptical about it.

aye but it an early alpha build just for that show

there will be different game modes with just tanks and more importantly "Historical Battles" with higher realism

ahhh just look at it :)

shot%202013.10.01%2000.15.46_1.jpg

shot2013.09.1016.24.5qtu2s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

After all is considerd, I LOVE shooting down planes. If they give me good fly-swatting weapons. I'm in!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

kingtiger wrote: »
    ahhh just look at it :)

Although those are bullshots, WT definitely has a massively better graphics engine. I suspect Wargaming never expected their level of success and would've gone for something much better from day 1 had they been able to predict how it went. But WoT does have a graphics overhaul coming with 9.0.

Although those are bullshots

well how did you come to that conclusion? according to Gaijin these are screenshots from the game without post processing or any manipulation
    But WoT does have a graphics overhaul coming with 9.0.

overhaul the GFX all they want, the game needs a new engine, the maps are too small and don't even mention the spaced "unicorn hair" armor masking the zero critical bug since Beta days

Tech trees

54696_original.jpg

d417334275fd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

overhaul the GFX all they want, the game needs a new engine, the maps are too small and don't even mention the spaced "unicorn hair" armor masking the zero critical bug since Beta days

"HD World of Tanks (improved graphics) will run on BigWorld, improved version by Wargaming. Storm states that from the original engine there will be almost nothing left, everything will be rewritten"

That's taken from For The Record blog, so translated from Storm (WoT developer).

Apparently some whining about the WT tech trees, with so many Stug and Pz.III variants with minimal differences between them. Also having Ferdinand and Elefant even though they are basically the same vehicle.

Don't really care myself. Haven't decided if I'll try WT yet.

Aenaes wrote: »
    "HD World of Tanks (improved graphics) will run on BigWorld, improved version by Wargaming. Storm states that from the original engine there will be almost nothing left, everything will be rewritten"

They'd need to dump all of it, and they should.

Apparently some whining about the WT tech trees, with so many Stug and Pz.III variants with minimal differences between them. Also having Ferdinand and Elefant even though they are basically the same vehicle.

Don't really care myself. Haven't decided if I'll try WT yet.

There's some serious stretches in their tech tree. I know the tiers work different for WT compared to WoT, but splitting the vehicles based on things as small as a single changed mantlet (StuG ausf G versus the StuG ausf G with the later sau kopf mantlet) is pretty tenuous a distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

looks decent enough alright!

im interested in the wot overhaul as well, back playing the last few weeks, mostly middles and tds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

WoT's overhaul isn't going to come soon. The 9.0 thing is really just a tweak.

The big problem has been a lack of manpower. WG had been sucking up basically every competent programmer in the Russian/CIS nations, but only recently gotten to the level that they can not only continue to make incremental improvements on WoT as it is currently released to keep it viable as a going concern, but also can now afford to have a separate team working on what is basically WoT 2.0: What WoT would have been like had it been created by a AAA multi-national multi-million corporation, as opposed to a jumped-up cottage industry/minor player which it had been previously. WT will probably have the graphics and in some respects gameplay edge for a while, but then the playing field gets interesting.

The other factor is that WoT is currently running at slightly less spec than full potential, simply to keep it viable for as many computers as possible. Not everyone world-wide is running dual-linked graphics cards, why reduce the potential market?

The other factor is that WoT is currently running at slightly less spec than full potential, simply to keep it viable for as many computers as possible. Not everyone world-wide is running dual-linked graphics cards, why reduce the potential market?

War Thunders engine works surprising well on low end PCs, I played it on a laptop with integrated graphics with low detail and it ran and looked better than WoT with around the same settings

WoT doesn't even support multiple core CPUS, if WG spent more time on optimisation rather than trying to squeeze more cash out of players by bringing in more fantasy tanks, I for one might stick with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

some interesting reading over on the WT page today, including an article on Irish RAF Ace Pilot Brendan Finucane.

Brendan Finucane
    Brendan Finucane was born on the 16th October 1920 at Rathmines near Dublin in Ireland. In 1936 the family moved to England and Brendan joined the RAF in 1938. On completing his training he was posted as a Pilot Officer with the Spitfire equipped 65 Squadron at RAF Hornchurch..

Finucane’s first aerial victory was made during the Battle of Britain when on the 12th August 1940 he shot down a Bf 109; this was the first of his 26 confirmed victories. Further victories followed before 65 Squadron was withdrawn from the battle to recuperate its losses.

In April 1941 he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) and was posted to 452 Squadron as a flight commander, 452 was the first operational Royal Australian Air Force Squadron to serve with the RAF’s Fighter Command. They commenced operations in July 1941 over occupied Europe and Finucane soon added another 17 enemy aircraft kills to his Tally.

In January 1942 he was promoted to Squadron Leader and was given command of 602(City of Glasgow) Squadron. While leading 602 Squadron he was injured by ground fire but also bagged four of the Luftwaffe’s new FW 190 fighters.
    On the 27th June 1942, aged only 21 he became the RAF’s youngest ever Wing Commander and took command of the legendary Spitfire wing based at RAF Hornchurch. His tenure in command did not last long, for on the 15th July 1942, while conducting an offensive sweep near Boulogne his Spitfire was hit by ground fire. Finucane coaxed his damaged plane back towards England but was finally forced to ditch. Unfortunately his Spitfire immediately sank on hitting the channel so bringing to an end Finucane’s short life and meteoric career.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

WoT doesn't even support multiple core CPUS, if WG spent more time on optimisation rather than trying to squeeze more cash out of players by bringing in more fantasy tanks, I for one might stick with them

It's not an optimization issue, as I'm being told. It's an entire re-write issue. The other games (WoWS/WoWP) are being brought out with multi-core from the start, but given the amount of work required to do it right with WoT, they don't think it's worth the effort to do it with the current engine and it's for 2.0.

First real view of closed beta action

Russian Stream

Some decent footage and thoughts from Jingles. From the looks of it a comparison to Battlefield seems more apt than to WoT. They seem to have taken a different approach to each step, where WoT went more arcadey, WT went more realistic, and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Stiletto72

If War Thunder sort out the match making I will be very interested.
    I'm getting sick of of going in to games with less than a 30% chance to win in WoT.
    Something else I'm interested in is being able to call in an artilliary strike instead of having dedicated SPG's. SPG's have been creeping back in over the last couple of patches and it's starting to suck the fun out of it again.

I dislike the arty ability. It seems very artificial and MMO-style. I may not care for arty in WoT either, but at least there's someone in one, taking the time to aim and fire, spend time researching their SPG, and risking it in a fight, not just spamming a call-arty key.

I understand your point Spear.
    It depends on how it manifests itself in War Thunder.
    So long as it doesn't have the ability to completely strangle a game like 3 or 4 SPG's per team can in WoT...

In the video examples I've seen, the cooldown is about the same as the time for rounds to land on target, so as soon as a called set lands, you're ready to called the next set. Just a few lights acting coherently and focussing such fire would render any opposing heaving redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Its early days yet in the games development. If they left the call arty ability as it is currently then people would definitely do as Spear said and make the game unplayable.

BigEejit wrote: »
    Its early days yet in the games development. If they left the call arty ability as it is currently then people would definitely do as Spear said and make the game unplayable.

Yeah, agreed. But from the vid I saw it seemed that when there was an arty strike it was delayed and inaccurate. The way it should be.
    The problem with WoT is that 3 or 4 SPG's per team makes the game unplayable at times also. And the ability to take out fast tanks on the move is a bit much.

I'm looking forward to trying it out.

• Advertisement

don't forget there will be airplanes and those Arty calling tanks make nice soft targets for even a reserve bi-plane

don't forget there will be airplanes and those Arty calling tanks make nice soft targets for even a reserve bi-plane

From the few videos I've seen, there were already players referring to the ground attack aircraft as being flying scumbags (i.e. arty).

From the few videos I've seen, there were already players referring to the ground attack aircraft as being flying scumbags (i.e. arty).

usually the players that just camp and don't move to smart positions or have AAA close to there tank, I think lots of these players think they are still playing WoT

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

(I know, old thread, but if I make a new one I might appear to similar to a jehovah's witness showing up at your door)

War thunder has had a new patch today, if you've never tried war thunder and try from today on you'll recieve a free premium tank with whatever nation you try first (between germany and russia)

Also in the new patch is visible crew in all open top vehicles and some nice map changes and sound effects for those who are not new. Worth a look, they've also made it easier to deal with airplanes when in a tank.

I highly recommend doing it with germany just cause you'll need a lot of help getting out of tier 1 germany.

Personnally I've been playing WT for over a year I've mostly maxed out 4 of the 5 nations and am close to getting jets with the last.

With tanks I'm up to tier 4, enjoying my panthers and KV85.

Everyone has probably heard a lot of fanboying back and forth from either side on war thunder vs world of tanks, but i'll say while I personnally prefer war thunder I completely understand the strong support for WOT and its success as a competitive game, it has it's structure and system so systematically worked out that it can work as an online tournament based game. War thunder in comparison cant because so much of it's engagements can fall down into some weird mix of instinct, chance and luck. It makes it a poor competative title, but it can make the individual battles a great personal joy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

What are they going to do for ships?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    (I know, old thread, but if I make a new one I might appear to similar to a jehovah's witness showing up at your door)
    There's no issues from my perspective if you wish to expand your WT reporting/threads :); they are close enough in genre to both fit here and they are not rabid fanboi contenders ala DOTA vs. LoL that risk causing flame wars :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Noblong wrote: »
    What are they going to do for ships?

That'll be a long way off I think.

Gaijin are actually a very small team, they just had a boost to the beginning of development because most of war thunder planes content comes from previous titles they worked on (also why it's on ps4 and not ps3 due to copyright)

It's also why tanks launched with just 2 nations.

We'll see the remaining tank nations added over the next year and then ships will prob go into closed beta with Japan and America as first nations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

War thunder has had a new patch today, if you've never tried war thunder and try from today on you'll recieve a free premium tank with whatever nation you try first (between germany and russia)

Also in the new patch is visible crew in all open top vehicles and some nice map changes and sound effects for those who are not new. Worth a look, they've also made it easier to deal with airplanes when in a tank.

I highly recommend doing it with germany just cause you'll need a lot of help getting out of tier 1 germany.

Personnally I've been playing WT for over a year I've mostly maxed out 4 of the 5 nations and am close to getting jets with the last.

With tanks I'm up to tier 4, enjoying my panthers and KV85.

Everyone has probably heard a lot of fanboying back and forth from either side on war thunder vs world of tanks, but i'll say while I personnally prefer war thunder I completely understand the strong support for WOT and its success as a competitive game, it has it's structure and system so systematically worked out that it can work as an online tournament based game. War thunder in comparison cant because so much of it's engagements can fall down into some weird mix of instinct, chance and luck. It makes it a poor competative title, but it can make the individual battles a great personal joy

I find WT more fun. I burned out on WOT. I haven't got into ground forces as planes are so much fun. Even a match where you do really bad can be fun.

So I've put in my first few games of Warthunder.

The interface and the clarity of the concepts it uses are pretty poor. Trying to locate the tanks instead of the airplanes was pretty much trial and error.

I only tried a few arcade battles, but I found the tank handling to be schizophrenic. A simple Panzer 2 Ausf C either had a light floaty feel, or it seems to be glued to the ground instead. On the Carpathian map at least, the firing was mostly against red target markers for the most part. The research mechanism seems a bit abstract too.

I'm not writing the game off, but it's first hands on impressions aren't inspiring ones for me.

The music is much better than WoTs and its oddly cheesy quasi-disco stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I played a good bit off it, but honestly... I cant see it myself playing it a lot.

For a a lot of things that I actually like in it, there are a even more things that I dont like. First of all, the only way to play it, is realistic mode ( not simulation one )

It looks and runs amazing, Tanks feel like big heavy machines and maps themselves use a lot of colours. I am amazed how well it runs when it pushes out such visuals. Fair play to them.
    Business model is a lot better then Wot. Its cheaper and you get a lot more value for your premium currency.

Now the all bad things:

Tech trees are freaking lazy. t34 1940 version goes in to t34 1941 version and so on. Just because you gave tank a different gun it does not mean I need to research a whole tank and all upgrades again. Then you forcing me to research at least 6 tanks in same tier before you let me advance to other tier.
    Planes in Tank game... Feck off... I played a match and did well. Then I blue up for no reason. Turns out a plane just blew me up. Why? **** you thats why. As a tank player I have no way defend myself from it and it just feels like a cheap death. Like kill streaks in Cod games.
    When I play WT tanks and dont feel like I am doing any kind of difference in battle field. I had games where I was top players from both teams and had gazilion kills, because I found sneaky spots early. After those games I did not felt like I did "good". It felt like mindless match, but I managed to get a few frags extra. Again, it felt like Cod. What I am trying to say, I guess, that it feels very "loosey goosey". Respawning is a huge issue. It just becomes a race of who will get to spawn camping each time faster. No one interested in objective.
    Spawn camping. No need to explain.
    Balancing. Its all over the place right now, but it was to be expected.

I know, know, it looks like I am just ****ting on WT, but in reality. I am EXTREMELY happy they are out in the market with tanks now. It gives a good kick up the arse to wargaming. Competition is king and I think we can already feel it as Wot started some really good deals and very good weekend events. I honsetly cant remember them from back in the day when I first started Wot.
    Plus WT launched tanks only very recently, its a bit unfair to compare it to Wot which was in the market for so long. same way how you cant really compare World of planes to WT planes. WT just needs time now.

Advertisement