Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Defender thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

Sure but there are landrovers available after 1998 that have the 300 TDI engine in it :)

their only for export and in lhd called them ROW rest of world spec

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DF1

101sean wrote: »
    That's odd, shouldn't start with that light on! Did you have to use the EKA code routine to get it to work or just use the Nanocom to get Alarm to talk to the fob?

I've saved myself and my brother in law a heap of money with the Nanocom but it can be tempremental and the manual translation from Italian to English isn't great :rolleyes: There are alternatives but are more expensive and locked to one vehicle type or even to a chassis number.

Found the manual a complete waste of time.
    Just connected the nanocom to laptop and paired the key fob tghrough this.
    Done a good bit of routing around with nanocom before i figured out how to pair these, maybe i turned something on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

whats the considered opinion on the current defender with the transit engine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Never driven one myself so can't comment. I believe there were a few transmission problems early on (has a 6 speed getrag box).

If you search Puma on any UK LR forum you'll find plenty of threads about them.
    http://www.defender2.net/forum/puma-tdci-vf19.html
    http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?board=7.0
    http://forum.landrovernet.com/forumdisplay.php/69-Land-Rover-Defender
    http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showforum=9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I sat in the my first one the other day.

The dash looks totally out of place in it.

• Advertisement

Yea, no more fresh air vents :(

It just looks totally cumbersome. I was expecting to see where they had chopped the sides off it to make it fit.

It probably leaves the cab even more cramped than usual.

they tried to modernise the defender too much , and the new one planed for 2013 i fear will be nothing like a defender , i think it should raise the value of the older ones

Never driven one myself so can't comment. I believe there were a few transmission problems early on (has a 6 speed getrag box).

If you search Puma on any UK LR forum you'll find plenty of threads about them.
    http://www.defender2.net/forum/puma-tdci-vf19.html
    http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?board=7.0
    http://forum.landrovernet.com/forumdisplay.php/69-Land-Rover-Defender
    http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showforum=9
    Thanks Sean
    I think I am more confused than ever
    Its so hard to get an older clean Defender that hasnt been daily hauling a cattle trailer to marts and factories with 4 tonne of beef on board or ex building site never serviced
    An 08 has the obvious benefits but there seems a to be a lot of negatives about Puma

You may be better off bringing one in from the UK, far more choice. Pick up one of the comics when you're passing Easons, Land Rover Owner isn't my favourite (LR Monthly is :)) but it has the most adverts.

• Advertisement

Thanks Sean
    I think I am more confused than ever
    Its so hard to get an older clean Defender that hasnt been daily hauling a cattle trailer to marts and factories with 4 tonne of beef on board or ex building site never serviced
    An 08 has the obvious benefits but there seems a to be a lot of negatives about Puma

there is clean Td5's out there just keep looking , my one is 2004 and came off a farm look at the pics of it a few pages back its fairly clean for its age 55000 miles on it when i bought it , i got it of Donnelly Bros in Dungannon , northern ireland is your best bet , when i was looking for mine i looked at a 2004 td5 in the south and it was about 5k more then the one i bought in the north and the one i bought was way cleaner , shop around you'll get a good one yet , took me 2-3months of trolling the net and looking in papers and going to look at rough ones to fine my one

They occaisionally surface on the Ireland section of the LRA forum, invariably in the north. Some people south of the border have a strange idea of what's good condition and an inflated idea of value.

many thanks for all the helpful advice folks

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DF1

Just a bit of topic,
    I have condensation problems on the roof of my 110.
    Any ideas on a cure, I see a crowd in UK doing new head lining to go from front to back but dont really want to go down this route.

DF1 wrote: »
    Just a bit of topic,
    I have condensation problems on the roof of my 110.
    Any ideas on a cure, I see a crowd in UK doing new head lining to go from front to back but dont really want to go down this route.

i have the same problem , loads of people stick really thin black carpet on it kinda like the stuff ya see in schools and offices

Black car trim or carpet either stuck on or on a ply lining is the usual route. My CSW has a full lining but you still get condensation above it, it's currently a shade of mouldy green, no point in cleaning until the weather dries up.

The ultimate cure for condensation is a full canvas top!! No condensation in my 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Am i landrover man myself,
    Have a 87 defender with a disco 200tdi engine fitted. Only just picked it up have a little cosmetic work to do. When thats done ill start fitting my few mods. 2" lift, Front and rear radius arms, Front and rear discolation cones, Full polybush kit, 35" simex, And a warn 8274 winch. Previously i had a disco running 35" Bf muds with a 2inch lift..

If any of you are interested in off roading check out
    www.clri.net
    Irelands only land rover club.
    Monthly off roading events held.. Or for more info PM me...
    Cheers

Old Discovery
    29bh5ya.jpg

What carpet or insulation material is recommended to supress the sound of chips and stones flying and hitting the body
    Sounds like you were hit by a 22 bullet

Is yours a fairly new one, seen your posts elsewhere? If you want a clean and tidy job, best bet is load area matting from Exmoor Trim http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=66&Itemid=90 (near bottom of page)

A diy option is heavy rubber matting and cut it yourself.

Thanks for that
    2009 Defender
    A trip to WW next week

• Advertisement

Anyone know exactly what model this is?

kkairfield_20100214_0027.jpg

Taken from here

FJ Bates of Evesham for Northern Ireland Fire Brigade http://www.iacservices.co.uk/landrover/s3fc/liamsfireenginepage.htm

Similar to the more common Carmichael Redwing. Built on a standard Series 3 one ton 109 chassis rather than a forward control.

sean your like a walking Landrover encyclopedia :D

Built on a standard Series 3 one ton 109 chassis
    :eek:

I bet it didn't half wobble on corners!

Sligo Co Co have a defender as a fire wagon, the cousin is a part time fireman and says it is a danger on the road

The Army Fire Service IIB forward controls would have been even worse on corners.
    sean your like a walking Landrover encyclopedia

Well yes, I probably should get out more!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭roman0red

Evening all,
    just came across this thread yesterday and was interested to read the various posts. All very interesting. I purchased a 2003 TD5 CrewCab Hardtop last August - my mid life crisis vehicle - great fun though! :). I had a 300TDI SWB previously.

Question for the experts - I'm about to do a full service and was considering buying the service kit and Lube from Difflock in the UK - Anyone used the EVO oil - expensive I know and some would say "fools and their money..." but the Landy is my only vice hence my desire to treat it with "some luv". So anyone tried the Difflock stuff?

Secondly, I've been reading a lot of the UK forums and was considering the EGR removal trick to improve performance - any advice on whether this is a good or bad idea for a TD5?

Also, planning on "pimping it" up a tad so was thinking of waiting until the Summer to travel across to the the Billings show in July to pick up some show bargains? Anyone been to one - what are they like?

Difflock are good but shop around, you can get all the filters from a decent auto factors. I use Paddocks in the UK a lot but order OEM filters rather than generic, I assume you know i has 2 oil filters, a normal one and a centrifugal.

I've used EVO oil in the gearbox, good stuff but any quality MTF94 will work, ATF Dexron II isn't recommended in R380 gearboxes. Bog standard 80W90 is fine in the Tbox and diffs.

Definitely remove the EGR, feckin stupid idea putting dirty exhaust back in he engine. I think yours will also have a cat in the front downpipe, worth putting on a plain downpipe. I have also removed the centre silencer on mine, it all makes a slight difference and won't be picked up in NCT/DOE. If you want to go mad and get a retune, you'd need to do all this first anyway.

It's definitely worth going to one of the LR shows once, you'll find some great bargains. The LRW show is probably the smallest but freindliest, no longer do them myself, military is my scene these days. Billing was the original LR show home but got a poor reputation for facilities, theft, pikeys etc, supposedly improved last year. If you've never been to one before you'll love it first time round at least.

Thanks Sean,
    I dont think you'll get much better than £16 for the complete set of filters? Mind you they wont be OEM! Anyway, I'll have a look at Paddocks.

Thanks for your tip on the EGR - will definitwely go ahead and remove it - also found another tip from another forum about cleaning the sensor on the intake manifold (MAS/MAB?). Appearantly when cleaned it can make a huge differenece?

Anyhowsss.....thanks for the tip and I'll keep an eye on this thread for any additional info.

Chers!

....MAP! Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor.....

• Advertisement

I have a question..

Why are the Defenders ignition on the LHS of the steering column and have they always been there?

Advertisement