Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

some more (I really should clean watches before taking pics :D)

192323.jpg
    192324.jpg
    192325.jpg
    192326.jpg

In case you're wondering what the submarine on the back is all about:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORP_Dzik

and if the overall design looks somewhat familiar, this is what inspired it, the original Vostok Amphibia

4638631589_8c4617b4bb.jpg

my wife's watches:

192344.jpg

Slava/Spetsnaz Sturm with slava double-barrel handwind movement
    192345.jpg

Fantasy dial watch with Raketa case and movement
    192346.jpg

Zim/Pobeda with lovely guilloche dial (hard to photograph)
    192347.jpg

Vostok with slim 2209 movement
    192348.jpg

continued:

A Belorussian Luch:

192341.jpg

and not included in the line-up above, the Vostok Amfibia Lady first

192342.jpg

and the Chaika ring watch

192343.jpg

as already introduced elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Posts in this thread reminded me of how much I like my quartz beater option (Casio PRW-5000T).

Very comfortable (has those wing things under the lugs), light despite good size (titanium), good clear display (as per pic) and geeky cool (ABC functions).

Also always accurate (Multi 6 atomic timekeeping) and solar powered. Ah lak it a lo.

15i6n9h.jpg

Edit : I did/do have a bit of a thing for Protreks.ABC's I'm not goint to lie.

PRW-1500 on resin (favoured for running/work out - on rubber, light weight, relatively low profile, great big numbers on display)

2dkljwz.jpg

PRG-240T (Used to like this a lot more than I do now. I really liked the duplex screen (traditional protrek feature). Now I find I have little cause to wear it, owning the PRW-5000T and the PRW-1500 as I do). In an ideal world I would probably sell this and the 1500 and trade up to a Manaslu protrek. I have other rubber watches to work out with. I may yet do that.

da77p.jpg

I also have a Timex WS4 (blue one). Now there's a hunk of plastic for you :D

noaq81.jpg

My other thinking is to convert the PRW-1500, PRG-240T and Timex into part of a Tissot Touch Expert. I feel I'd get more wear out of that generally - in fact, I'll probably do that. But I like the PRW-5000T to much to move it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

New Steinhart Ocean 1 GMT White

stein3.jpg

stein2.jpg

stein1.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

1a.JPG
    2.JPG
    7.JPG

Another new arrival :D

Vostok Amphibia (in the so called ministry case) with black (PVD??) coating.
    They have somehow managed to coat a mirror polish in black. The end result is a watch that wears like a disco glitter ball and is impossible to photograph.

It is so ghastly, it's really cool :D
    Bought it on impulse and regretted it almost instantly afterwards, but now (having worn it for a day) I'm really glad I did.

picktshaaaahs:

192754.jpg
    192755.jpg
    192756.jpg
    192757.jpg

In case you haven't averted your gaze in horror yet ....the watch itself is the usual Vostok Amphibia with 2416b auto movement, screw down crown, poor lume, 200 m WR rating on a cheap&nasty folded bracelet that is juuust about wearable without pulling all your hair off your wrist.

A shade over 60 quid delivered ...and so worth it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

peasant wrote: »
    Another new arrival :D

No pictures showing up for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Daniel S wrote: »
    No pictures showing up for me.

Well, he did warn you!
    ... impossible to photograph.

7.JPG

Is that mechanical? ('tis very thin)

If so ...any info on the movement?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Very nice P. Bracelet reminds me of an IWC one.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Bracelet reminds me of an IWC one.

:eek:

Dear God ...no!
    This is an absolutley horrible affair, made from folded sheet metal, cheap, nasty, flimsy, squeaky and hungry for your wrist hair ...admittedly with a nice polish though.

But I'll pass your comments on to Vostok, I'm sure they'll be pleased :D

LOL. Is it all that bad?

For what it is ...a cheapo folded sheet metal bracelet ....it is very well made, especially the outer surface.

But basically ...yes ..it is THAT bad :D

(most people who buy Amphibias don't even bother with re-sizing ...they just re-place immediately)

Here is the one I was thinking it reminded me of.
    3f509b8d.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Peasant.

I think this is the first time I ever said this.

I...I...I...don't like that watch.

There, I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dee Clothier

A little something for the wife for the day that's in it!

Sekonda-Zarja.jpg

Clearly a 17 jewel Soviet-era Sekonda. As far as I know it's a rebranded Zarja. In any event, it's nice and dressy and the right colour for Valentine's day.

Seller's photo as I still haven't got the hang of photographing watches :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Is that mechanical? ('tis very thin)

If so ...any info on the movement?

Yes but handwound; unfortunately not one of the micro-rotor ones. I did make a note of the movement reference but can't find it at the minute; when I get a chance I'll look it up on Ranfft. Here's a picture though.
    9.JPG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes but handwound; unfortunately not one of the micro-rotor ones.
    How did I miss your pics? This is my kinda thing. That's a bloody lovely watch CB. Handwind too? Niiiiiice. Feckin automatics *shakes fist*:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This is my Tag Heuer Link Chrono (quartz) I bought back around 2005. It is 42mm so around the same size as the current Speedy. I personally think its one of the nicer Links from TH.
    8f09b0f9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Put very crappy and blurred pics of this one up before. Then just before Xmas I dropped it while putting it on and broke the old, scratched and yellowed (and weak) glass. :( The radium on the dial does no favours either. Checked around locally and either they BS'd me, or wanted stupid money to replace it, or couldn't get a similar glass. The original is quite domed, so a flat glass won't work. Bit of online digging and I found a source of new old stock acrylic glasses. Exact bloody match! Ordered one in what looked the right size and got it this morning. 3 quid. Yep, there isn't a zero missing. Bit of fiddling and bobs your uncle. :)

193146.jpg
    The dust I only noticed after I downloaded the pic. :o
    193147.jpg
    Must learn good lighting...

It's an Alpina 592 KM as issued to the German Kriegsmarine(navy, though Kriegsmarine sounds way cooler) in world war II. This example dates from 1941. Their dials usually really suffer with time and fall apart. Probably because of the radium lume and the fact they're not waterproof at all. Yep a navy watch that ain't waterproof. :) So an original dial(and all hands) in that condition can be hard to come by. The cases are brass with chrome plating which wears badly, but I like the patina. It even has the original winding crown. Again rare enough, mainly cos they're tiny and shíte. :) The movement is a 15 jewel with shock protection. It also retains it's original movement holder. Not fancy but nicely made and finished(nice anglage on the plates). Remarkably accurate too. Loses or gains maybe 10 seconds a day, :eek: which is bloody impressive, given it's likely in need of a service.

PS it's small, maybe 30mm. Lucky I got girly hands. On a normal bloke it would be lost.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Nice watch ...but I hope you were taking precautions (like a dust mask and thorough washing of hands afterwards) while messing around with the exposed radium dial ...that stuff is still pretty dangerous even after all these years.

The quintessential Vostok Amphibia ...the blue "Scuba Dude"

As the stock bracelet is a ball of shoyte (it'll pull all your wrist hair and have you in tears) this one got some blue rubber swimming togs and is coming with me to the next holiday on the beach :D

193161.jpg
    193162.jpg
    193236.jpg

That looks great. What is the bracelet?

No idea of the make ...it's rubber with a deployant clasp and cost twelve fiddy in the bay

see here: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310377459339

available in black, blue or white 18,20,22 or 24 mm ...cheap & cheerful stuff :D

Nice watch ...but I hope you were taking precautions (like a dust mask and thorough washing of hands afterwards) while messing around with the exposed radium dial ...that stuff is still pretty dangerous even after all these years.
    Yea, dead right P and very good point worth making. You have to be careful alright. Radium has a half life of 1600 years, so still bloody "hot" and a lot more high energy than Tritium.

That said this particular watch gives off low enough levels(have an old gieger counter). Not much above background, so they musta scrimped on the radium. Which may explain how well the dial survived. The original acrylic glass hadn't gone yellow either. Another sign of radium damage(glass "glasses" go bluish). Plus the lume itself hadn't gone very dark, black or brown which the radium stuff usually does if very hot. Still like you say you have to be careful alright.

I had a WW1 omega trench watch many years ago and the dial set the counter mad. Had to keep upping the scale. :eek: Chernobyl on the wrist time. Though little enough penetrated the back of it, it was all through the dial side. It had a solid silver case, maybe that's why? IIRC silver is quite a good radioactive insulator. Proper scaaaaary levels from it though. Put it this way, if you held a more modern non radioactive luminous watch against it face to face in the dark it would actually charge the luminova as if you shone a torch on it:eek: I moved it on double quick warning the next owner. He had it cleaned I gather.

PS I think I've worked out why their navy watch wasn't waterproof. It was your fellow countrymen being boastful about the quality of their navy. "Our watches don't have to be waterproof, our ships are so good our sailors never get their feet wet. :D That always worried me about airline pilots wearing diving watches. Not exactly confidence inspiring as you fly the atlantic. I mean what do they know we don't?...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

My first G-Shock.

180220121042.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

These all arrived in the last fortnight. Only got around to taking pics today.

First up: Technomarine Cruise Night Vision. Bought this as a gym/climbing/cycling beater watch. Rubber coated case. Japanese quartz movement. This is really comfy on, but it's not the most legible in the world. Could really have done with using a different colour for the hour and minute hands. Still a lovely watch, for little money.

TECHNOMARINE1-1.jpg

Second: IWC Aquatimer Chrono. Of all IWC's offerings, I've always liked the Aquatimer range best. Especially the newer, 44mm versions. I've always like a blue watch, and this colour scheme is now discontinued. Got this on tz-uk and hope to hang on to if for a good while.

IWC1.jpg

Finally: a 1970 Breitling Navitimer Chrono-Matic. This is model 1806, and houses the Calibre 11 movement, the first automatic chronograph, coming out just a few months before Zenith's El Primero. I like the re-issue, but at 49mm it's just way too big. So when I was offered an original (46mm) in trade for my JLC I had to jump at it. It's in amazing condition for a 42-year-old watch, with nice sharp edges to the case. I suspect it's been re-dialled at some stage, and also had replacement hands. Also, although it's a tritium dial, the numbers seem to have luminova coating, so has probably been relumed at some stage also. Still, it was serviced less than a year ago, and seems to be running great. I'm not usually a vintage fan, as the 34mm sizes just look ridiculous on me, but this is a winner!

NAVI1.jpg

NAVI2.jpg

NAVI3.jpg

NAVI4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭SmartFox

bogmanfan wrote: »
    These all arrived in the last fortnight.

Beautiful haul! Particularly like the AT chrono. You'll need to get some wrist shots up soon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The Breitling has a Heuer movement?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement