Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick Regeneration project list....1.29million for 6 units of traveller housing

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Getting hammered in public, very good! Topical humour is more than welcome.
    Tarring entire social groups with the one prejudiced brush, however, is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

flutered wrote: »
    any one who mentions the p word,

I honestly hate the "P" word, if that word is pikey, it's an English word that Irish people started using after seeing Snatch, we used to have our own classic words like tinker, knacker, pavee (or paves), lachee (sp?) but now we've gone all west brit, for shame.

We need to bring classic insults like gowl back into fashion, think gowl is just a North Munster word?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭flutered

Getting hammered in public, very good! Topical humour is more than welcome.
    Tarring entire social groups with the one prejudiced brush, however, is not.

i am not taring them all with the one brush, just 90% of them, i have worked amounst them for a few years, i was supposed to be teaching them something, i got a better education from them, than any of the courses i have attended.

I honestly hate the "P" word, if that word is pikey, it's an English word that Irish people started using after seeing Snatch, we used to have our own classic words like tinker, knacker, pavee (or paves), lachee (sp?) but now we've gone all west brit, for shame.

We need to bring classic insults like gowl back into fashion, think gowl is just a North Munster word?

when my old granny used the term gowl, it was the equillavent of calamity mary using a particular word.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,422 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Gowl is quite possibly one of the best terms of abuse I've heard in years- never heard it before I moved here, I use it now with much joy :D

• Advertisement

flutered wrote: »
    when my old granny used the term gowl, it was the equillavent of calamity mary using a particular word.

Sure i wouldn't believe your radio.

(another classic phrase we should bring back)

Sure i wouldn't believe your radio.

(another classic phrase we should bring back)

radio regeneration, crikey you wouldnt believe the stuff it transmitts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Personally I think the regeneration money would be better spent on building a prison, expanding the CAB and the ERU and at the same time changing the law so that life means life and suspended sentences are abolished.

Building new houses for these people will achieve nothing. Too many of them will just destroy them in record time as they have no respect for anything and they will still make life a misery for all those around them.

Sports facilities will have little or no effect on anti-social behavior. I grew up with no facilities and yet I didn't roam the streets until 1 and 2 in the morning breaking windows and behaving like a little ****.

Unfortunately what we now have in Limerick is a culture of anti-social behavior. It is too late in the game to change that now. It should have been nipped in the bud years ago. It can only be contained by zero tolerance.

Of course there is no political will to implement such a policy so get out now if you can because between the arrival of the IMF and the years of high unemployment ahead this city is just going to go in one direction and that is down.

Call me cynical but I have spent too long dealing with these people to believe that a fancy house is going to stop them behaving like utter scum.

RonMexico wrote: »

It can only be contained by zero tolerance.

That simply isn't true.

Look at the massive successes the Sunderland Football foundation has achieved in place with far worse troubles than Limerick. Sport can be a massive engine for social change.

That simply isn't true.

Look at the massive successes the Sunderland Football foundation has achieved in place with far worse troubles than Limerick. Sport can be a massive engine for social change.

Maybe but sport alone is not going to solve our problems.

• Advertisement

Who's saying it will?

You were the one saying the only solution is zero tolerance, a practice that has plenty of critics as well as supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

True, but more positive options have to be used than just zero tolerance. Sport can be used as part of a bigger plan.

I don't believe that anti-social behavior can be dealt with in this country with our current approach.

I would advocate a zero-tolerance policy to tackle this. You can add in all your other approaches but if you are soft on crime then you are wasting your time.

Limerick is a very small city. If somebody wants to get involved in sports there is not exactly a whole lot holding them back. Yes there could be more local facilities but there will be still a large element who have no interest in anything other than trouble.

People can make all the excuses in the world for this behavior but at the end of the day Limerick CAN be cleaned up but if the laws, the political will and the Gardai are not interested then forget it. All the facilities in the world won't make a damn of a difference.

I don't believe that anti-social behavior can be dealt with in this country with our current approach.

I would advocate a zero-tolerance policy to tackle this. You can add in all your other approaches but if you are soft on crime then you are wasting your time.

Limerick is a very small city. If somebody wants to get involved in sports there is not exactly a whole lot holding them back. Yes there could be more local facilities but there will be still a large element who have no interest in anything other than trouble.

People can make all the excuses in the world for this behavior but at the end of the day Limerick CAN be cleaned up but if the laws, the political will and the Gardai are not interested then forget it. All the facilities in the world won't make a damn of a difference.
    op you have spoken the truth, i was involved with them in the sporting end of things, they only used the sport as an end to other means.

Advertisement