Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ATC recruitment with IAA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Hi guys,

Just for your information. The girl at our test said that 1200 people applied for the job not 2000. So its not as bad as we thought :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

jd83 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just for your information. The girl at our test said that 1200 people applied for the job not 2000. So its not as bad as we thought :)

It wouldn't take a genius to realise that it was in the person who said that's interest to say it. Double the number of applicants and people think they have half the chance they actually do. People see 2000 people applied for the job and think its never going to happen for them. then the odds are in the posters favour again. Not saying that he meant it like that or anything but it would make sense, its a competition after all.

and +1 about the aptitude definition lads, 2 things everybody got wrong here are that it is not an Air Traffic Control job and aptitude tests have been clarified already..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

darragh-k wrote: »
    It wouldn't take a genius to realise that it was in the person who said that's interest to say it. Double the number of applicants and people think they have half the chance they actually do. People see 2000 people applied for the job and think its never going to happen for them. then the odds are in the posters favour again. Not saying that he meant it like that or anything but it would make sense, its a competition after all.

and +1 about the aptitude definition lads, 2 things everybody got wrong here are that it is not an Air Traffic Control job and aptitude tests have been clarified already..
    I think people think that its a way into ATC but I dont think they would be very happy if they spent a year training you for a specific job and then you try to change.

Yh your probably right it could have been scare tactics to preb for the test. It wouldnt put me off applying for a job, if your not in it you cant win it.

jd83 wrote: »
    if your not in it you cant win it.

You said it!

They're both very important jobs but nothing alike apart from the fact that you're talking through a mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DUBDUBDUB

Well, its over and done with and to be honest I am not too pleased. Ya cant study for it Im afraid, as someone said earlier, you have either got it or ya dont, and Im afraid I dont.

early start and long journey didnt help but no excuses. Back to the drawing board I suppose, hopefully there will be a campaign next year and will be more prepared.

Good luck to everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JonnyK

Hey folks,

The amount of misinformation is surprising. This job clearly is not related to the ATC - a quick read on the IAA website shows that.

Also, someone earlier stated that you can't practice for aptitudes which was agreed by many. Common sense says you can improve speed, familiarity and knowledge of certain tests through practice.

Anyhow, I'm up on Thursday so hopefully all will go well. I'm heading from Carlow so hopefully it's not too hard to find. Does anone know if you have to go through Limerick City or can you avoid it?

Thanks and best of luck to all.

Sorry to hear that Dub,

It's not over till its official. Also, many times it feels like you do sh*t at something only to be pleasantly surprised.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

JonnyK wrote: »
    ed, familiarity and knowledge of certain tests through practice.

Anyhow, I'm up on Thursday so hopefully all will go well. I'm heading from Carlow so hopefully it's not too hard to find. Does anone know if you have to go through Limerick City or can you avoid it?

Thanks and best of luck to all.

You can avoid the city centre itself, coming off the Dublin road past the parkway/homebase, straight until the small roundabout next the petrol station take a right, straight out, passing king johns castle, straight through the lights at Thomand park, the left hand exit on the roundabout at LIT, take a right at the lights at Ivans, straight out through the next roundabout and straight out the dual carraigeway to Shannon

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 aero2009

darragh-k wrote: »

I can assure you I am not that devious... :o
    when I made the call was advised 2000 applications.. 12 positions etc etc.
    my test is on Friday.. best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 phi

Just to clarify. The lady said that there were 1,284 called for aptitude test. As the aptitude test is stage 2 in the process, it is possible that the 716 did not meet the education criteria.

I think that as we are going for Aeronautical Radio operators, its important to have the facts..
    :p

• Advertisement

Cheers for that Neon,

The nerves are beginning to kick in. I also hate drving places I've never been - especially when the pressure is on!

Best o' luck JonnyK you'll be grand:)

Cheers,

And same to you dude:)

phi wrote: »
    Just to clarify. The lady said that there were 1,284 called for aptitude test. As the aptitude test is stage 2 in the process, it is possible that the 716 did not meet the education criteria.

I think that as we are going for Aeronautical Radio operators, its important to have the facts..
    :p

Yeah, I just thought that could be what happened when I left!Sorry aero, felt sort of Horatio Caine like leaving the computer after my post!:D lol

as per the aptitude test, don't think its all over because you think you did badly, you were under pressure and you answered to the best of your ability I'm sure, trust me on this one, I did one before(not for the iaa obviously seen as im not even 18 yet!) and in the numerical section and verbal I thought I did terrible but it turned out that my spatial awareness, numerical and verbal reasoning were the top ones. I'll never make an accountant though they said! At any rate, you cannot predict how you got on in these tests.

As per the practice, go for it but don't stress over it. It may help you with nerves, it may help you in the exam to do it quicker and it won't hurt sure so why not give it a go.

Go n-eirí an bóthar le gach foghlaimeoir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

so, khm-khm, why should we hire YOU? :D
    (sorry, im in the next stage already (in my thoughts...))

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

4.00 pm Thurs for me! Cant wait for it now!! Should be good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 speed dog

just wondering if there is an age limit on the job

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

speed dog wrote: »
    just wondering if there is an age limit on the job

Not as far as I know. There was a mix on Monday; mostly in twenties; fair few in thirties and even a few young at heart 40 somethings! Of which I'm one. Can only conclude that early forties is not an issue for them otherewise would not have made it to testing.

I heard that a lot of people that went to college and got a radio officer qualification have applied, they just never used their qualification before?!

where could you possibly get a qualification in radio operating?!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

I heard that a lot of people that went to college and got a radio officer qualification have applied, they just never used their qualification before?!

Like aero2009 says, dunno where you'd get a qualification like that, but even if there are people with it, so what? Doesn't mean anything. They'll still have to go through the same training. If the positions were direct entry, maybe they'd have an edge over others, but they're not. And just because they have radio officer qualifications doesn't mean they'll do well in the apptitude test. If it does give them any advantage, it won't be until the final interviews, if they get that far.

aero2009 wrote: »
    where could you possibly get a qualification in radio operating?!!

2fm, Today fm:pac:

If someone can prove to me there's such a course I'll give them the keys to my house and car!!

Jim236 wrote: »
    Like aero2009 says, dunno where you'd get a qualification like that, but even if there are people with it, so what? Doesn't mean anything. They'll still have to go through the same training. If the positions were direct entry, maybe they'd have an edge over others, but they're not. And just because they have radio officer qualifications doesn't mean they'll do well in the apptitude test. If it does give them any advantage, it won't be until the final interviews, if they get that far.

I agree.. doesnt mean jack!!

I know someone that has qualifications in radio operating, havent a clue where though. But i know they worked on ships!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gb88

I know someone that has qualifications in radio operating, havent a clue where though. But i know they worked on ships!

Probably from some unknown I.T up the mountains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

I know people won't want to give too much away but I've a few simple questions:

1 - Are calculators allowed?

2 - Did you feel under time pressure doing it or was it more about difficulty?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Pigdog

Every pilot (other than a student pilot under supervision) needs to have a 'radio' licence. Otherwise known as a FROL (Flight Radiotelephony Operator's Licence). Mine is valid until 2016!!. I assume that the same is true for anyone broadcasting on any airwaves, be it on a ship or a radio station.

Although I'm not sure what use having one will be to getting the job. Saying that, if I get to an interview, I'll certainly be letting them know that I have one!! :)

How are the tests going? Without giving anything away, can you let us know the format for the tests? Are they multiple choice? Are calculators allowed? Etc.

Mine's on Friday at 16:00. Eeek!!

Pigdog wrote: »
    Every pilot (other than a student pilot under supervision) needs to have a 'radio' licence. Otherwise known as a FROL (Flight Radiotelephony Operator's Licence). Mine is valid until 2016!!. I assume that the same is true for anyone broadcasting on any airwaves, be it on a ship or a radio station.

Although I'm not sure what use having one will be to getting the job. Saying that, if I get to an interview, I'll certainly be letting them know that I have one!! :)

How are the tests going? Without giving anything away, can you let us know the format for the tests? Are they multiple choice? Are calculators allowed? Etc.

Your a in the door if you have this qualification bud..
    how did you obtain it?

Pigdog wrote: »

Hey Pigdog, Looks like theres a few of us pilots here, going for this.
    To answer your questions
    No, you're not allowed use calculators. In face your not allowed to use a pencil either, you're supplied with a black pen.

The format is the same for the answer sheet in your PPLs

Best of luck, I don't think that you'll encounter any problems.

• Advertisement

Sure am getting anxious now!!

Advertisement