Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wicklow 200 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Any need to wear the race number for anything? Or will the control card get you in everywhere?

Used pin on numbers before and they put holes in my lovely cycle jersey so don't fancy doing it again unless it is really necessary to get into food stops or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Any need to wear the race number for anything? Or will the control card get you in everywhere?

Used pin on numbers before and they put holes in my lovely cycle jersey so don't fancy doing it again unless it is really necessary to get into food stops or something.

What happens if you . . . . WIN
    . . . . nobody will know who you are . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

The numbers are a necessary part of every event. They identify each participant on the route and ensure that the service van/mechanic, bonk wagon and general event management personnel assist you, if necessary, on the roadside.

Numbers also indicate if you are a legitimate participant in the event.

To make a long story boring... Numbers would not be ordered and issued if the organisers felt it was not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

I appreciate that, but isn't that what the control card does? I mean, the number no more an indicator of your participation in the event than the card.

For sure it is clearly visible on your back when riding but this is also unnecessary as the roads are open so you could just turn up without registering in any event. If there's a breakdown could you not just show the card to the staff to show you have registered to participate?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Yes, but out on the road they might only be looking out for somebody with numbers on if you need help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

Yes, but out on the road they might only be looking out for somebody with numbers on if you need help :)

+1

There will be thousands of cyclists on the road and event numbers are used for identification. Without a number the service vans/motorbikes will not be stopping to offer assistance and definitely will not pull in to enquire if you have a registration card.

Wear the numbers and avail of the backup support in the event of mechanical problems.

Enjoy the day!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

You could try taping them onto the jersey if safety pins are that big a deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I appreciate that, but isn't that what the control card does? I mean, the number no more an indicator of your participation in the event than the card.

For sure it is clearly visible on your back when riding but this is also unnecessary as the roads are open so you could just turn up without registering in any event. If there's a breakdown could you not just show the card to the staff to show you have registered to participate?

Just wear the bloody number! And make sure it's pinned on correctly :)

http://youtu.be/x_KjssV_DyQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RR Rover

First time at this event (doing the 100) and I see from the above posts there is no mass start at 7am. All the same, do most people usually start around that time or is there usually good crowds starting later like at 7:30 or 7:45?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

God help them all today. It is bucketing down rain in baltinglass. The yard is flooded.
    It gona be a nightmare day in the bike today.
    And yesterday was a grand day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

It won't be worse than 2011,now that was a wet 200!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

oooooooo no its not nice out today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Horrible morning here in Dublin city centre. Oh no. Feel sorry for the lads. Not as bad as 2011 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I set off at 8:15 to do the 100. The rain was bucketing down for the guts of an hour. It started just as I topped the Long Hill. I was soaked through and the discomfort of the rain being driven into my face hurt my pace a little at that point. The rain eased off and I kept going. I finished up with an average of 25.1km/h which I was happy with given the earlier conditions.

That's my first sportive and my first 100km done. Now it's Guinness time!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

crosstownk wrote: »
    I set off at 8:15 to do the 100. The rain was bucketing down for the guts of an hour. It started just as I topped the Long Hill. I was soaked through and the discomfort of the rain being driven into my face hurt my pace a little at that point. The rain eased off and I kept going. I finished up with an average of 25.1km/h which I was happy with given the earlier conditions.

That's my first sportive and my first 100km done. Now it's Guinness time!

That's fair going in that weather ,the girlfriend is doing the 200 ....god bless her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I saw a girl after taking a fall at a downhill and the ambulance flew by later. Anyone know how she is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

She's fine, was able to continue. Cuts and bruises.
    Happened on the descent from Slieve Maan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 paulie_irl

Eamonnator wrote: »
    She's fine, was able to continue. Cuts and bruises.
    Happened on the descent from Slieve Maan.

this must have been another accident Eamonnator is talking about !

the lady I attended to got admitted to A&E that all I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

A guy on the 100 route apparently came off at speed about 2km before Rathdrum (Vale of Clara) and went over a wall, 10ft down into trees (according to fire brigade / ambulance). They had the road blocked, held our group up for 5-10 mins while the put him onto a backboard stretcher as a precaution. Hope the guy's OK!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Well that was a wash out. Never been so wet on a bike. Headwind for 80% of the day added to the delight. Still glad I did it and a those bloody loops of Howth paid off.

https://www.strava.com/activities/151055845

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hey! 200km done! enjoyed the day, but the weather was supercrap...it rained for most of the day, with some torrential water; made it tricky to descend and some the roads had puddles nearly halfway across the road: saying that, it wasnt too cold, so I could warm up quite quickly!
    The event was well run; the foodstops and food were good and i enjoyed the pasta at the end.

some of the marshalling was a bit disorganised; at one junction we were stuck behind a bus for a few minutes in lashing rain; we tried to go around the bus and the marshalls shouted at us to wait...I thought they might be able to stop the traffic for 10-20 seconds and let us through...

i dont know what the pol;icy is on this: on other sportives a motorbike/marshall waved us through and stopped the traffic for a couple of minutes...

I understand that with such a big event as the Wicklow 200, this may not be possible, but the organisation at this junction was poor...

signage was mostly okay, but in a few places there didnt appear to be any signs showing the route; a couple of roundabouts at the end come to mind!

Overall, i enjoyed it; i struggled a lot in the last 20kms, but overall, it wasnt as tough as i thought!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

There are a number of categories of people, who can stop and direct traffic.
    Marshals on the W200 are not numbered in any of these categories.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Arequipa wrote: »

i dont know what the pol;icy is on this: on other sportives a motorbike/marshall waved us through and stopped the traffic for a couple of minutes...
    Marshals are not permitted to stop traffic at all. They are there to warn you of danger and direct you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Did the 200. The mts climbed came in at 2962.
    A very hard day made worse by the wind and rain. The catering was excellent IMO.

No issues with the marshalling either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Marshalling was excellent...every marshal gave loud clear instructions and directions. Signage was excellent too.. Every junction marked and warning signs for descents.

All in all, a well run event. Pity about the weather though.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zindicato

who was the fella that i shouted ''boards jersey sighting ''going up the long drag in avoca?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Ah yea, i understand that they cannot stop traffic...at other smaller sportives motorbike marshalls and a few others did stop traffic at a few junctions and roundabout, but i think mostly the Gardai did it!
    I agree, generally the marshalling was very good; particularly at the bad surface to the bridge, but in the situation above, the lashing rain and busdriver (who seemed to be a bit confused) just frustrated us all: all part of the 'character building' experience!!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

More marshalls but in general a good spin. If you cycled on the west coast every week these conditions are normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

zindicato wrote: »
    who was the fella that i shouted ''boards jersey sighting ''going up the long drag in avoca?

That would be me. Struggling on. I must have passed you a couple of times the short break in Rathdrum helped me claw back some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Thought the event was well run but the wait in Baltinglass was a bit of a killer and one that I regretted once I left the hall. Miserable headwind but most people seemed to be in good spirits. The crappy weather adds to the sense of achievement.

My experience with the marshalls was good they seemed to be on the ball.

After the misery of the climbs actually felt pretty strong on the last 30k and managed a decent pace even though I put the Garmin in the pocket as it was starting to do my head in.

Advertisement