Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

chris froome

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Beasty wrote: »
    They didn't though - as I said the Tour was their priority. They won other races as well and failed to win some. The last thing you can accuse Sky of is a lack of professional attitute!!

I would expect every professional cyclist to have a professional attitude. Can you point me in the direction of the unprofessional teams and cyclists?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I would expect every professional cyclist to have a professional attitude. Can you point me in the direction of the unprofessional teams and cyclists?
    I said they's taken professionalism to a new level - simple as that

And im saying their results outside the tour suggest this is not the case - simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You don't know it's as simple as that, because you don't work for Team Sky. You're just speculating.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    You don't know it's as simple as that, because you don't work for Team Sky. You're just speculating.
    Absolutely, hence my insertion of the words "seem to" in front;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Why is Wayne Rooney so good at football?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Reason why they 'peak' for the Tour is quite simple, it really is the only race that matters in professional cycling. The other grand tours are like the national leagues in Ireland. Nice to win either of them but really they are only considered a stepping stone for later in the season or the following season depending on the grand tour involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think Chris Froome is entirely made out of elbows. Just look at him pedalling... elbows everywhere.

Chris-Froome-riding-for-T-008.jpg

porte-froome-marquee-654x440.jpg

Chris-Froome-659x440.jpg

froome-tour-de-france-wiggins-evans-stage-7.jpg

spz14.vueltaaespana.179860_670.jpg

Reason why they 'peak' for the Tour is quite simple, it really is the only race that matters in professional cycling. The other grand tours are like the national leagues in Ireland. Nice to win either of them but really they are only considered a stepping stone for later in the season or the following season depending on the grand tour involved.

Eh, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

Seems like plenty of wins to me?

Date Race Competition Rider Country Location
    23 January Tour Down Under, Stage 2 UCI World Tour Geraint Thomas (GBR) Australia Rostrevor
    27 January Tour Down Under, Sprints classification UCI World Tour Geraint Thomas (GBR) Australia
    15 February Tour of Oman, Stage 5 UCI Asia Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Oman Boshar
    16 February Tour of Oman, Overall UCI Asia Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Oman
    16 February Tour of Oman, Points classification UCI Asia Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Oman
    16 February Volta ao Algarve, Stage 3 UCI Europe Tour Sergio Henao (COL) Portugal Alto do Malhão
    8 March Paris–Nice, Stage 5 UCI World Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France La Montagne de Lure
    9 March Tirreno–Adriatico, Stage 4 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Italy Prati di Tivo
    10 March Paris–Nice, Stage 7 UCI World Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France Col d'Èze
    10 March Paris–Nice, Overall UCI World Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France
    23 March Critérium International, Stage 2 UCI Europe Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France Porto-Vecchio
    24 March Critérium International, Stage 3 UCI Europe Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Col de l'Ospedale
    24 March Critérium International, Overall UCI Europe Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France
    24 March Critérium International, Points classification UCI Europe Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France
    3 April Tour of the Basque Country, Stage 3 UCI World Tour Sergio Henao (COL) Spain Trapagaran
    5 April Tour of the Basque Country, Stage 5 UCI World Tour Richie Porte (AUS) Spain Beasain
    16 April Giro del Trentino, Stage 1b UCI Europe Tour Team time trial[N 1] Austria Lienz
    17 April Giro del Trentino, Stage 2 UCI Europe Tour Kanstantsin Sivtsov (BLR) Italy Vetriolo Terme
    23 April Tour de Romandie, Prologue UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Switzerland Bruson
    28 April Tour de Romandie, Overall UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Switzerland
    28 April Tour de Romandie, Teams classification UCI World Tour [N 2] Switzerland
    5 May Giro d'Italia, Stage 2 UCI World Tour Team time trial[N 3] Italy Forio
    14 May Giro d'Italia, Stage 10 UCI World Tour Rigoberto Urán (COL) Italy Altopiano del Montasio
    18 May Glava Tour of Norway, Stage 4 UCI Europe Tour Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) Norway Lillehammer
    19 May Glava Tour of Norway, Overall UCI Europe Tour Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) Norway
    19 May Glava Tour of Norway, Points classification UCI Europe Tour Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) Norway
    26 May Giro d'Italia, Trofeo Fast Team UCI World Tour [N 3] Italy
    4 June Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 3 UCI World Tour Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) France Tarare
    6 June Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 5 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Valmorel
    9 June Critérium du Dauphiné, Overall UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France
    9 June Critérium du Dauphiné, Teams classification UCI World Tour [N 4] France
    6 July Tour de France, Stage 8 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Ax 3 Domaines
    14 July Tour de France, Stage 15 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Mont Ventoux
    17 July Tour de France, Stage 17 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Chorges
    21 July Tour de France, Overall UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France
    3 August Tour de Pologne, Stage 7 UCI World Tour Bradley Wiggins (GBR) Poland Kraków
    17 August Eneco Tour, Stage 6 UCI World Tour David López (ESP) Belgium La Redoute–Aywaille
    12 September Vuelta a España, Stage 18 UCI World Tour Vasil Kiryienka (BLR) Spain Peña Cabarga
    17 September Tour of Britain, Stage 3 UCI Europe Tour Bradley Wiggins (GBR) Great Britain Knowsley
    22 September Tour of Britain, Overall UCI Europe Tour Bradley Wiggins (GBR) Great Britain
    22 September Tour of Britain, Teams classification UCI Europe Tour [N 5] Great Britain

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Eh, no.

Do you see Froome doing even two grand tours in a calendar year? He did well in The Vuelta one year and then The Tour becomes his only focus.

Do you see Froome doing even two grand tours in a calendar year? He did well in The Vuelta one year and then The Tour becomes his only focus.
    it really is the only race that matters in professional cycling. The other grand tours are like the national leagues in Ireland. Nice to win either of them but really they are only considered a stepping stone for later in the season or the following season depending on the grand tour involved.

This is the bit that I am disagreeing with.

This is the bit that I am disagreeing with.

Fair enough. What other races really matter though? I watched The Armstrong Lie yesterday and he said when he recovered from the treatment that the one day events were worth nothing, that the tour was all that mattered. Think the same applies to the likes of Wiggins/Froome. Everything else is just a stepping stone.

Look at Wiggins last year. The Giro was supposed to be his focus but his heart didn't ever really appear to be in it. He had reached the top of the sport.

Quintana is focusing on another grand tour and not doing the tour de france! Seems like if you want to win a grand tour you can only really focus on one? Sky choose the tour cos it has better media coverage would be my guess. Money and sponsors rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I watched The Armstrong Lie yesterday and he said when he recovered from the treatment that the one day events were worth nothing, that the tour was all that mattered.
    ...to Lance.

Fair enough. What other races really matter though? I watched The Armstrong Lie yesterday and he said when he recovered from the treatment that the one day events were worth nothing, that the tour was all that mattered. Think the same applies to the likes of Wiggins/Froome. Everything else is just a stepping stone.

Look at Wiggins last year. The Giro was supposed to be his focus but his heart didn't ever really appear to be in it. He had reached the top of the sport.

Different races matter to different riders.

That's rubbish sir Bradley was busy living the pop star lifestyle and had not done the work pre season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Even if he still checks out in 10 years he still is one of the most uninteresting and uninspiring people that have ever won the tour.

elnino23 wrote: »
    Seems like plenty of wins to me?

Date Race Competition Rider Country Location
    23 January Tour Down Under, Stage 2 UCI World Tour Geraint Thomas (GBR) Australia Rostrevor
    27 January Tour Down Under, Sprints classification UCI World Tour Geraint Thomas (GBR) Australia
    15 February Tour of Oman, Stage 5 UCI Asia Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Oman Boshar
    16 February Tour of Oman, Overall UCI Asia Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Oman
    16 February Tour of Oman, Points classification UCI Asia Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Oman
    16 February Volta ao Algarve, Stage 3 UCI Europe Tour Sergio Henao (COL) Portugal Alto do Malhão
    8 March Paris–Nice, Stage 5 UCI World Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France La Montagne de Lure
    9 March Tirreno–Adriatico, Stage 4 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Italy Prati di Tivo
    10 March Paris–Nice, Stage 7 UCI World Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France Col d'Èze
    10 March Paris–Nice, Overall UCI World Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France
    23 March Critérium International, Stage 2 UCI Europe Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France Porto-Vecchio
    24 March Critérium International, Stage 3 UCI Europe Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Col de l'Ospedale
    24 March Critérium International, Overall UCI Europe Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France
    24 March Critérium International, Points classification UCI Europe Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France
    3 April Tour of the Basque Country, Stage 3 UCI World Tour Sergio Henao (COL) Spain Trapagaran
    5 April Tour of the Basque Country, Stage 5 UCI World Tour Richie Porte (AUS) Spain Beasain
    16 April Giro del Trentino, Stage 1b UCI Europe Tour Team time trial[N 1] Austria Lienz
    17 April Giro del Trentino, Stage 2 UCI Europe Tour Kanstantsin Sivtsov (BLR) Italy Vetriolo Terme
    23 April Tour de Romandie, Prologue UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Switzerland Bruson
    28 April Tour de Romandie, Overall UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Switzerland
    28 April Tour de Romandie, Teams classification UCI World Tour [N 2] Switzerland
    5 May Giro d'Italia, Stage 2 UCI World Tour Team time trial[N 3] Italy Forio
    14 May Giro d'Italia, Stage 10 UCI World Tour Rigoberto Urán (COL) Italy Altopiano del Montasio
    18 May Glava Tour of Norway, Stage 4 UCI Europe Tour Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) Norway Lillehammer
    19 May Glava Tour of Norway, Overall UCI Europe Tour Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) Norway
    19 May Glava Tour of Norway, Points classification UCI Europe Tour Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) Norway
    26 May Giro d'Italia, Trofeo Fast Team UCI World Tour [N 3] Italy
    4 June Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 3 UCI World Tour Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) France Tarare
    6 June Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 5 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Valmorel
    9 June Critérium du Dauphiné, Overall UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France
    9 June Critérium du Dauphiné, Teams classification UCI World Tour [N 4] France
    6 July Tour de France, Stage 8 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Ax 3 Domaines
    14 July Tour de France, Stage 15 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Mont Ventoux
    17 July Tour de France, Stage 17 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Chorges
    21 July Tour de France, Overall UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France
    3 August Tour de Pologne, Stage 7 UCI World Tour Bradley Wiggins (GBR) Poland Kraków
    17 August Eneco Tour, Stage 6 UCI World Tour David López (ESP) Belgium La Redoute–Aywaille
    12 September Vuelta a España, Stage 18 UCI World Tour Vasil Kiryienka (BLR) Spain Peña Cabarga
    17 September Tour of Britain, Stage 3 UCI Europe Tour Bradley Wiggins (GBR) Great Britain Knowsley
    22 September Tour of Britain, Overall UCI Europe Tour Bradley Wiggins (GBR) Great Britain
    22 September Tour of Britain, Teams classification UCI Europe Tour [N 5] Great Britain

your know people are struggling to make a point when they start talking about stage wins in the UCI Europe Tour

That's rubbish sir Bradley was busy living the pop star lifestyle and had not done the work pre season

Exactly. His heart wasn't in it. Be interesting to see if he gets anywhere near achieving his stated targets for this year.

• Advertisement

your know people are struggling to make a point when they start talking about stage wins in the UCI Europe Tour

I purely copied and pasted! the fact is they win races other than the tour and it was said they only win at the tour. Paris-nice and the dauphine are big races both of which they won. They just don't do Classics well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

There's wins in there that BMC would have killed to win last year too. Ditto Lampre Merida and Tinko Saxoff.

Sure it's a wonder anyone enters any other races at all. Even when they do they are all just soft-tapping all the way around and don't bother to really contest at all.

Sure it's a wonder anyone enters any other races at all. Even when they do they are all just soft-tapping all the way around and don't bother to really contest at all.

Thought the discussion was around Sky and how they approach things?

Discuss whatever ya fancy, I don't mind.

Discuss whatever ya fancy, I don't mind.

Fair enough :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

It's all about the stems...

http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

The discussion started off about froomes build or lack of ha now look were we are sure keep it rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I think Chris Froome is entirely made out of elbows. Just look at him pedalling... elbows everywhere.

spz14.vueltaaespana.179860_670.jpg

This.

I just think Froome is such an in-elegant (is that even a word) rider to have to watch. His forearms are really long and he sticks his elbows out at weird angles. OK, so its not his fault, but its just not attractive watching him - that, and his annoying and incessant habit of checking his computer/power-meter every two seconds. He's like an ungainly foal taking its first steps.....I guess it works for him, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭rckfld

I would strongly recommend reading "Inside Team Sky" if you are interested in this thread.

Gives a good insight into the professionalism and preparation that some have mentioned here.
    Also takes a good look at their race/staghe strategies.

Long story short...it ain't rocket science... it's science..and common sense...

common science!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement