Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wicklow 200 2014

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

bedirect wrote: »
    Allegedly ? What's this. A person can't post up anything factual anymore ?The person with no helmet just looked out of place. I thought it was a condition of entry that a helmet was worn

Yes, you're quite right, it is a condition of entry, that participants, wear a helmet. So the guy, you saw, without a helmet was not doing the W200. He was just out for a spin on his bike.
    To answer your original question, no, it's not a trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

bedirect wrote: »
    Allegedly ? What's this. A person can't post up anything factual anymore ?The person with no helmet just looked out of place. I thought it was a condition of entry that a helmet was worn

Was probably me (Green jersey, black shorts blue cycling cap?). No not a trend and was not making a statement. Pure accident.

What happened was I took off my helmet while going to the bathroom in the centre in Greystones beforehand and for some reason forgot to put it back on. My excuse, if excuse it is, is the usual pre w200 sleep deprivation. My friend never noticed either. When I got to the top of the Long Hill I saw my shadow, and noticed a lack of helmet. Patted my head and turned to my friend, 'I'm not wearing my helmet!' 'Oh yeah', he says.

So I ended up doing the whole 200 without helmet and to be honest I missed it for the sake of peace of mind on the descents and ended up doing them much more slowly than usual. Also felt a bit bad about breaking the rules. No sign of my helmet when I got back to Greystones (grey and white Bell Sweep if anyone noticed one). Bought a new helmet the next morning.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

LennoxR wrote: »
    Also felt a bit bad about breaking the rules.
    For info, I know the IVCA insurance policies only pay out to members if they were wearing a helmet. It's a general point - insurance may well be invalidated (at a personal level, as I am sure 3rd parties would remain covered) if events stipulate helmets must be worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Beasty wrote: »
    For info, I know the IVCA insurance policies only pay out to members if they were wearing a helmet. It's a general point - insurance may well be invalidated (at a personal level, as I am sure 3rd parties would remain covered) if events stipulate helmets must be worn.

I know I know, like I said I felt bad about it, but I wasn't going to go back to Greystones for it at that point.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I know I know, like I said I felt bad about it, but I wasn't going to go back to Greystones for it at that point.
    I fully understand your predicament - just thought it was an opportunity to mention that specific point hopefully for everyone's benefit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

:mad: I can't even look at ye....

... something similar happened to a clubmate on one of our club rides after a coffee stop, it took half an hour for anyone to cop on. "here, what'd ye do with your helmet?"...."ahhh, sh 1 te!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Frustrating enough to make you want to smash your head against the wall. But you couldn't because you weren't wearing a helmet! Oh, the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Some photos up, More to follow... (i think)

http://www.wicklow200.ie/news/2014-photos-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Cheers for photos, found myself in one which is cool.

Was my first time doing the Wicklow 200, or any organised cycle event, and first time cycling 200k, having done previous cycles of around 150k. I felt ok at the end, even powered home, finished in just under the 8 hour mark.

Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed everything about it. The route, the organisation, the road volunteers, the climbs, the welcome in at the finish, everything was brilliant. All round it was very well organised and I'll definitely be back for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Roland27 wrote: »
    Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed everything about it.

enjoy the weather did ya? (ya sicko) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

overall a great event, well done to everybody, food stops good,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cervelo.S2

My third W200 in a row and the least enjoyable.I was unwell leading up to the event and suffered all day due to my illness.Only for my friend Colm (Stamullen CC) i reckon i would have abandoned.I got round in 7 hours 58/59 which was 18 minutes quicker than last year but i honestly don't know how.Considering you needed a canoe to get to Rathdrum the roads were that flooded when we passed through.
    I've never been that wet and cold on a bike in the summer months it bucketed down on us as we left Baltinglass.It would have being easier cycling in the nip at least you might have got dry for a short time.People i spoke to reckoned it was still not a patch on 2011.
    Kudos to everyone who did the 200 km no matter what your time was because anyone who enjoyed that experience needs medication!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Yesterday, 30th June, was a sunny day. I drove the Wicklow 200 route and recorded it using my DOD LS430W dashcam.
    Before I set off I wrote notes about the course, and tried to follow my notes. I could have used a Garmin 800 but decided to try to follow the route as most cyclists would.
    Tech info: Premium Picture Quallity, Full HD 1080p@30fps, 6G sharp glass lens, 140 degree wide view angle, Superior low light performance, High Speed GPS antenna 5Hz.

The result was 77 files of 3 minutes each, totalling 30.5 GB. When reviewing there is a route map from GPS beside the video. There was plenty of glare, and some sections were not good viewing as the road went from tree shade to sunlight. Twice I went off the route, but recovered in minutes. A third error was approaching Glenealy when I missed a turn and did a few extra kilometers before getting back on to the W200 route. When reviewing the files I noticed some Wicklow 200 road markings, but they were of no use when driving the route.

It was an enjoyable drive. I might do the W200 next year (did it in 2008) so I can learn the route on screen. When training I might drive out the course, park the car, and cycle sections to make training more interesting (and safer) than driving near Dublin.

Advertisement