Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The difference between irish A3 racing and international junior racing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i personally think that without the juniors and supervets, a3 racing would be pretty similar in standard to a4 racing and the juiors/supervets bring the rest of us on.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

lennymc wrote: »
    i personally think that without the juniors and supervets, a3 racing would be pretty similar in standard to a4 racing and the juiors/supervets bring the rest of us on.

However more A3's would get promoted thus improving standards. You can be all "Oooh it makes it harder therefore it's better" if you want, and get your pat on the back on boards but the reality is that the current format makes no sense. I'm not getting into a ding dong debate over this, but suffice to say that in any other sport I've seen, if you're at the pointy end of your category, you move onto the next category and continue to improve and enjoy your sport there.
    This is a no brainer in my opinion and my opinion is final ;)

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    However more A3's would get promoted thus improving standards. You can be all "Oooh it makes it harder therefore it's better" if you want, and get your pat on the back on boards but the reality is that the current format makes no sense. I'm not getting into a ding dong debate over this, but suffice to say that in any other sport I've seen, if you're at the pointy end of your category, you move onto the next category and continue to improve and enjoy your sport there.
    This is a no brainer in my opinion and my opinion is final ;)

seriously tho, Ive raced in a4 races and a3 races with no juniours, and there was very little difference. I'm not saying it's harder therefore better. Im saying it's harder therefore you have to be better to stay with them. I have come on a good bit since I was upgraded thanks to the harder races in A3. The juniors attack attack attack constantly, with very little respite. If you can't stay with them you will have no hope with A2/A1. There won't be much enjoyment in the sport if you are getting spat out after 10k in an A2 race. Not every Junior makes it to A2 btw. I am saying it cos in my opinion its true (and unlike your opinion, mine counts).

Anyway, lets not turn this into another thread about whether the juniors should or should not be racing with A3s. The OP highlighted the fact that the internationals were of a higher standard than A3s, and I said that without the juniors (IMHO) the standard of A3 would be worse.

And, Eddie Dunbarr is awesome. At some stage in the future I hope to be able to point at the TV screen and tell my kids how I raced against him.

I have come on a good bit since I was upgraded thanks to the harder races in A3.

You were starting from a very low base in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

dont forget the A3 is a category for the working man/women with children etc. Dont beat yourselves up because you dont have the genes, time to train etc. At our level its only enjoyment a safe day out giving it a lash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

seriously tho, Ive raced in a4 races and a3 races with no juniours, and there was very little difference. I'm not saying it's harder therefore better. Im saying it's harder therefore you have to be better to stay with them. I have come on a good bit since I was upgraded thanks to the harder races in A3. The juniors attack attack attack constantly, with very little respite. If you can't stay with them you will have no hope with A2/A1. There won't be much enjoyment in the sport if you are getting spat out after 10k in an A2 race. Not every Junior makes it to A2 btw. I am saying it cos in my opinion its true (and unlike your opinion, mine counts).

Anyway, lets not turn this into another thread about whether the juniors should or should not be racing with A3s. The OP highlighted the fact that the internationals were of a higher standard than A3s, and I said that without the juniors (IMHO) the standard of A3 would be worse.

And, Eddie Dunbarr is awesome. At some stage in the future I hope to be able to point at the TV screen and tell my kids how I raced against him.

Yes but with more promotion from a3 to a2 those a2 numbers might swell to the size where they have their own race instead of being in with the A1..And then the cream will rise to the top... this will mean more promotion to A1 and then they can have their own races too...

At which point we will genuinely have 4 categories. A little short term pain may be required but I reckon they should either do it or revert back to A B C cats again. The super juniors could move up to A2 then and that might actually give them a race. They must be super bored at this stage.

but don't you think that if you can't currently get promoted from A3 that you are going to have a much harder time in A2 whether the A1s are there or not. Anyway, loads of threads debating this, lets not have another one.

but don't you think that if you can't currently get promoted from A3 that you are going to have a much harder time in A2 whether the A1s are there or not. Anyway, loads of threads debating this, lets not have another one.

Yeah...let's make our own point and then say no more points!
    More numbers in a cat means more competition, means higher standards, that is fact.
    I am someone who this problem doesn't effect in the slightest btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

morana wrote: »
    dont forget the A3 is a category for the working man/women with children etc. Dont beat yourselves up because you dont have the genes, time to train etc. At our level its only enjoyment a safe day out giving it a lash!

and this is a good article that sums it up nicely http://www.stickybottle.com/coaching/well-known-cycling-coach-paddy-doran-on-the-relationship-between-self-esteem-and-success/

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭fortis

Yes, and it would seem lads deliberately dropping down from higher cats (even with points) must be somewhat lacking in self-esteem "look for results by always looking for easier races"

Mr Doran has spoken!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭fortis

I would also add that our current Irish national road champion (fair play to him some performance!) was whipping the a3's two years ago (most as whom as Morana points out are ordinary joes with jobs, family etc).

Is this right? Many seem to think so for some strange reason. A3 should not be the whipping boy cat. In fact none should other than A1! At that level you expect to get murdered! The rest of them should be challenging but fair

Advertisement