Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with work

• 28-08-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Think my last post didn't work.

I'm looking for advice on how you all got work in Japan.

Some background. About 18 month ago I was given an opportunity to move to Japan. Between one thing and another it fell through. Company is political and a few people stood in my way. I knew nothing about the country before then but since then I have had an interest and would love to try it culturally.

What do most people do. Do you have a job before going (or I know some are studying)?

I'm a senior finance person and would be willing to risk moving with nothing if I thought my employment chances were good.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I think this warrants it's own thread so I've set that up for you :)

I'm about to head over to study for a year so I can't help much with the working side of things but hopefully someone else can give you some advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Not to say you won't get any help at all here, but you should be probably ask on some of the bigger ex-pat and gaijin forums online, not sure which ones are best but if you give it a google many of them are quite active and I'm sure your question has popped up before.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Caybar

You could check out the below jobs website, it is used by alot of international companies and recruitment agencies, including many in the financial industry.

http://www.careercross.com/en/

As with anywhere some companies may not consider you if you dont have a visa but im sure there are some who would be willing to sort that out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

The Buster wrote: »

I'm looking for advice on how you all got work in Japan.

What do most people do. Do you have a job before going

I'm a senior finance person and would be willing to risk moving with nothing if I thought my employment chances were good.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

98% of western people seeking to spend time in Japan do so by working as an English language instructor. You do not need to be qualified as an instructor but to be recruited you will need a university degree of any nature.

Use your time in Japan to upskill in language and then put and find opportunity in your own field ... finance in your case ... will begin with networking on the ground around the banking sector. Register with the embassy will get you "invites" and take every opportunity to attend all the functions they hold.

http://www.irish-network-japan.com/en

Edit : One thing I forgot, use these people to get there .... Most Japanese living in Ireland use them

http://www.awlt.com/?region=dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 36 1809allan

I agree with everything shindig-jp said. Most people here teach for a living and the salary isn't that great. About 250,000 yen per month is called a good job. Plus it's not that easy to find work here as there are a lot of people looking for work (by people I mean foreigners). Might be an idea to check the eikaiwa schools first.
    I'm here already, Osaka working for Gaba.

• Advertisement
Advertisement