Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CAO Points 2nd Round

Options
  • 29-08-2013 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Ive checked the 2nd round points online this morning and the majority of courses are blank and don't actually show the 2nd round points. Does this mean they've stayed the same?

The course im interested in is Human Nutrition and dietetics in DIT but it shows the points for the 1st round which is 545* and the column for the 2nd round is Blank. Ive checked the CAO website, no offer. I need the course to go down to 540 but im not sure what to do.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

As far as I know that means that the points haven't changed. It's rare that points will change if there is an asterix beside them. It means that not everyone with 545 point was offered a place as the course was full. This means that second round offers will automatically go to them. But keep checking, they offer out until october if my memory serves me correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭celtic10000

Hmmm i was thinking thats probably it, its strange that they didn't just say the points were 545* again though,instead of leaving it blank, surely all those courses that were left blank haven't kept the same points though as they dropped on the 2nd round almost every year. Thanks for the reply anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

Could also mean that the course is full, therefore no need for a points change!

Possibly, time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It means that no offers were made in the second round because the courses were full.

The course you wanted was 545 on random selection. Even if there were places on it in the second round they would be offered to people on 545 who weren't offered it in the first round as they lost out on random selection, before they would offer it to anyone on 540.

• Advertisement

It means that no offers were made in the second round because the courses were full.

The course you wanted was 545 on random selection. Even if there were places on it in the second round they would be offered to people on 545 who weren't offered it in the first round as they lost out on random selection, before they would offer it to anyone on 540.

Would you say there is a possibility of getting in if i were to go up in the rechecks? or is it when its full its full

Would you say there is a possibility of getting in if i were to go up in the rechecks? or is it when its full its full

If you go up in the rechecks and are entitled to be offered a place as a result but the course is full, you will be offered a place in the course for next year.

ok thanks for the help but ive one more question, if i were to go up by lets say ten points in the rechecks to 550 and lets say the course goes up in points to 555 or 560 next year, will i still be offered a place next year, even if i dont have the points at that time?

If you go up to 550 in the rechecks you will be offered a place for definite on the course. If there is space on the course in October when the rechecks come out (because someone has dropped out in the meantime) they may let you start late. If there is no room this year they offer you a place for next year which you can accept or reject. If you accept your place is reserved for you automatically for next year. You will not be part of next year's points race.

It happens often enough in high demand, low number of places type courses such as dentistry, veterinary, pharmacy, medicine quite a bit.

Eg. if there are 20 places on the course you are interested in, and you go up in the rechecks and are offered the place, and you accept it to start in Sept 2014, in next years CAO system while the college info will say there are 20 places on the course, they don't say how many have already been reserved, so in this case if you are taking up one space only 19 offers will be made by the CAO next year in order to fill the course.

Thanks a million that was very helpful :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 DuineGael

If no second round offers are made i.e. the course is full after the 1st round, is it possible to still receive an offer if people don't register in September like in a 3rd round? Sorry if the question is confusing :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

DuineGael wrote: »
    If no second round offers are made i.e. the course is full after the 1st round, is it possible to still receive an offer if people don't register in September like in a 3rd round? Sorry if the question is confusing :P
    Yes, but it's pretty unlikely tbh. It can / does occasionally happen tho, especially in smaller / high demand courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DuineGael

Yes, but it's pretty unlikely tbh. It can / does occasionally happen tho, especially in smaller / high demand courses.

Thanks for the reply!

Advertisement