Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Completely confused, which to pick

Options
  • 25-10-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

Its getting worse, first of all it was going to the Desire but the display did not seem to be as good as the Galaxy which seemed to tick all the boxes except thats its a bit plasticy and the 16gb version is not available unless you chose the 8gb version with an 8bg micro sd included, that was until I read the specs on the Desire HD but its storage capacity @1.5gb with provision for an 8gb micro sd max isnt the best but has 768 MB ram, then I picked up an N8 and had a look at it, nice feel to it but ill give it a miss

Will be my first Smartphone phone and any one of them would be a good choice, Vodafone want to charge a smartphone tax so I have to upgrade to 150 minutes and downgrade to 500mb from my present 1gb allowance
    Both the Desires with Vodafone run Android 2.2

What to do, im not one to upgrade that often, had a K750i before my N95/8GB, think ill go for the Desire HD even though its a bit big.

Am I the only one out there thats confused :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

I had a similar line of thought to you for a few weeks.

I knew I wanted an Android HTC phone from the get go. I started out salivating over the Desire but nowhere had it in stock at the time. I liked 3's plans but they weren't getting it in for weeks (might have it now though). Looked at the xperia X10 and even the HTC Legend but decided this was to be the peak of my phone ownership career (heh) and didn't want to impulse buy for the sake of having an Android phone sooner than later.

I eventually settled on the Samsung Galaxy S and haven't regretted it since. Excellent phone. Yeah the build quality might not be as solid as the HTC Desire but it's a minor concern. It's very light too so it won't feel like a burden in your pocket.

Only negatives are Samsungs menu system TouchWiz can be a tad laggy but not infuriatingly so. Then again I looked at my uptime in the settings and it said the phone had been on for 240 hours heh. Also the battery life can be lacking but once you do a proper discharge/charge cycle and only turn on wifi/gps etc when you need them you can get a good 24 hours out of it. Same as any smartphone though really.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

bogman wrote: »
    Its getting worse, first of all it was going to the Desire but the display did not seem to be as good as the Galaxy which seemed to tick all the boxes except thats its a bit plasticy and the 16gb version is not available unless you chose the 8gb version with an 8bg micro sd included, that was until I read the specs on the Desire HD but its storage capacity @1.5gb with provision for an 8gb micro sd max isnt the best but has 768 MB ram, then I picked up an N8 and had a look at it, nice feel to it but ill give it a miss

Will be my first Smartphone phone and any one of them would be a good choice, Vodafone want to charge a smartphone tax so I have to upgrade to 150 minutes and downgrade to 500mb from my present 1gb allowance
    Both the Desires with Vodafone run Android 2.2

What to do, im not one to upgrade that often, had a K750i before my N95/8GB, think ill go for the Desire HD even though its a bit big.

Am I the only one out there thats confused :confused:

The Desire HD can take up to a 32g sd card.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I have the desire, and a word of advice is that Vodafone by far have the worst knowledge of smartphones mixed with average enough priceplans. o2 have a better knowledge of smartphones than any of the rest and Three have the best priceplans. And Meteor and Android are two words that should not be used in the same sentence, let alone the same commercial....
    funnyclub wrote: »

But Android wont let you install applications to the memory card, well, apart from a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

funnyclub wrote: »

Thanks for the comments and advice, heeded, ive a lot to learn on here and there is plenty sound advice

Vodafone said the Desire HD would take only up to 8gb, guessed it would take more but didnt realise it would take both SD & MicroSd
    HTC_Desire_HD_review_new46-420-90.jpg

Been with Vodafone a few years and have a fairly good 3.5g signal here, have a landline bundle at a good price with them also, wonder whats the possibility of scrapping the landline and home broadband and upping to a plan with more data on the mobile then using the smartphone as a WiFi to connect to the internet with my Pc/laptop, any comments would be helpful, not into downloading music/movies

Think the 3.5g Vodafone connection would not compare to my existing 3mb landline broadband in terms of speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

But Android wont let you install applications to the memory card, well, apart from a few.

Oh I didnt realise this. I have the desire HD ordered from Vodaphone so how to htc expect you to get lots of apps on your phone if they give such a small amount of built in memory.

, guessed it would take more but didnt realise it would take both SD & MicroSd

If you mean the white thing, that's the Sim Slot.

..and if you don't, i'm a dumbass :-)

Might as well :-) they have my number since yesterday, if they send me a text in the morning saying they have one ill have the Desire HD by the afternoon

Might as well :-) they have my number since yesterday, if they send me a text in the morning saying they have one ill have the Desire HD by the afternoon

I don't think the HD is the hands down BEST phone on the market. TBH, i don't think a hands down best smartphone exists,but i do think it's one of the better ones around at the moment.

I...might be biased however.

There's not much between them all really, they are all pretty good, would like to make the right decision, who knows, ill probably change my mind by the morning

• Advertisement

Took the plunge, got the Desire HD@Mahon point today, allowed 100€ trade in with the N95/8GB so paid 149€, contract for 18 months, thanks for the advise folks

Advertisement