Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thornley

• 05-06-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Pretty gigantic error in todays paper defending his BFFs selection of Murray. I'm not trolling, it's a fairly massive mistake for an "expert" to write a paragraph about the wrong guy starting in probably Irelands biggest match since 2009

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0605/1224317294917.html

Now Reddan returns to his Test rivalry with Conor Murray, who has been first-choice for Ireland since starting the epic World Cup pool win against Australia in Eden Park until being ruled out of the final Six Nations games against Scotland and England with a bruised knee.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Yep. Laying the ground for Murray to be picked by just plain making stuff up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

danthefan wrote: »

I think it was just an error, a very lazy error which isn't like Thornley at all

He didn't do it on purpose to try and enhance Murrays rep or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Yep, the With Hills Sauvignon Blanc has possibly taken effect here. He even managaes to "remember" Murray's defensive sweeping and physicallity aruond the fringes in that game.

Sloppy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I think it was just an error, a very lazy error which isn't like Thornley at all

Trouble is, he has earned a rep for being embedded with the Irish management team and for breaking Kidney's more dubious team selections to the public, so using arguments that are just point of fact wrong won't go down well with the rugby public.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

offensive thread title has been edited and OP is currently taking an extended break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I think it is an error more than anything.

I've noticed stuff like this creeping into his writing though. Silly errors. Off the top of my head, I remember him listing Munster's past quarter final opponents incorrectly. Its hard to think of specific examples, but similar mistakes - wrong scorlines, incorrect oppoenents, wrong players named as scoring tries - creeping in to his articles over the past year or so.

I think he, and the Times in general, have become sloppy with their editing processes. Thornley probably just figures he can recall facts off the top of his head. Unfortunately nobody in the Times is picking up on the ones he gets wrong. Its a simple matter of not double-checking facts, which is fairly indicative of the sloppyness in Irish print journalism over the past while.

smurphy29 wrote: »
    Trouble is, he has earned a rep for being embedded with the Irish management team and for breaking Kidney's more dubious team selections to the public, so using arguments that are just point of fact wrong won't go down well with the rugby public.

No but if he really wanted to push for Murray's inclusion, which would be of no benefit to him personally, an error like this wouldn't be the way to go about it

I imagine he'll be very embarrassed tbh

It's bad subbing too. Should have been picked up on unless the sub wasn't in the sports dept and didn't know Murray didn't start

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Given he reads the forum, he will see this and hopefully not make the same mistake next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Mistakenly saying he started is one thing, but then saying that memories of his great performance should merit his position in the team is questionable. Either he's up to something, or he might want to see someone about his memory. Earlier caught the better.

He goes on to highlight the performance of Murray in a game he didn't start in as a reason for him to start against NZ. Much worse than a lazy error imo.

• Advertisement

He goes on to highlight the performance of Murray in a game he didn't start in as a reason for him to start against NZ. Much worse than a lazy error imo.

What is it so? Is he trying to influence Kidney or the public by sacrificing his own journalistic integrity by knowingly stating a non truth ?

It was a mistake, a stupid one but a mistake nonethless. Lazy journalism

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

tolosenc wrote: »
    Mistakenly saying he started is one thing, but then saying that memories of his great performance should merit his position in the team is questionable. Either he's up to something, or he might want to see someone about his memory. Earlier caught the better.

I agree this was the worst thing, not only making the error but using it to validate Murray's selection.

Although I don't think it was intentional or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Does anyone else squirm when he refers to Keith Wood as 'Fester' on Newstalk 106?? :o

What is it so? Is he trying to influence Kidney?

Kidney has Thornley in his pocket, so no is the answer to that.

As I said, he's essentially breaking selection news softly.

By making a huge embarrassing error on purpose? Why on earth would he want to do that? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds

How would it benefit Thornley? A journalists integrity is everything, why would he threaten it just to "break news softly"?

By making a huge embarrassing error on purpose? Why on earth would he want to do that? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds

How would it benefit Thornley? A journalists integrity is everything, why would you threaten it by "breaking news softly"?

Well he has little credibility from the situation either way, getting a selection wrong is one thing but providing analysis of an imaginary performance is another.

Well he has little credibility from the situation either way, getting a selection wrong is one thing but providing analysis of an imaginary performance is another.

So you can't give a reason as to what benefit doing it on purpose would have for him?

So you can't give a reason as to what benefit doing it on purpose would have for him?

There would be little benefit.

There would be little benefit. You're getting agitated. I stated Thornley has made this nonsense up. That is patently true.

You alluded to him doing it on purpose "breaking selection news softly" when he clearly just made a stupid mistake

There would be little benefit. You're getting agitated. I stated Thornley has made this nonsense up. That is patently true.

You alluded to him doing it on purpose "breaking selection news softly" when he clearly just made a stupid mistake

Post above edited, not arsed further, I still think his trip into fantasy land goes too far for a silly mistake.

• Advertisement

Post above edited, not arsed further, I still think his trip into fantasy land goes too far for a silly mistake.

In other words you think he did it on purpose

If you can provide a logical opinion as to how this would be beneficial to Thornley in any minute way I'd like to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

A mistake. We all make sloppy ones!
    He is still the best Irish print rugby journalist by a long, long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that he put that error in on purpose. It's just a mistake but a terrible mistake nonetheless.

The piece is actually written about Reddan which is the crazy thing. A general match review is one thing but if you're going to write a piece on an Irish player at least be familiar with the games he's played. Particularly when the game in question is Ireland's biggest victory this season.

He's absolutely awful these days, provides no insight or constructive criticism at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

He's absolutely awful these days, provides no insight or constructive criticism at all.

he is definitely not as good as he once was. Too much “psychic energy” mumbo jumbo. But still the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

At this point, I could genuinley say that the online publications massively outrank the likes of Thornley in terms of quality. I'd also say Brendan Fanning is as good as Thornley with respect to printed media.

Thornley is too close to Irish rugby to ever be objective. Criticism of it in any form is almost non-existent. Disappointed me to see such a widely read journalist criticise the referee in a completely over the top and childish fashionwhen Leinster lost the other week and not Leinster's poor defensive efforts and lack of concentration in the closing minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some of the online blogs like demented mole frankly embarrass these idiots.

As I said on the podcast, I hope they enjoy their 100k a year, although I doubt many of them get that much! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I'd say his work on Trevor Brennan's book and the Grand Slam book were nice little earners for Gezza.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

GerM wrote: »
    At this point, I could genuinley say that the online publications massively outrank the likes of Thornley in terms of quality. I'd also say Brendan Fanning is as good as Thornley with respect to printed media.

Thornley is too close to Irish rugby to ever be objective. Criticism of it in any form is almost non-existent.

I'd broadly agree with that. A lot of the Irish media are too close to the players / coaches / even bloody refs to be critical of them. They know if they say anything too critical they won't get interviews with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

I'd broadly agree with that. A lot of the Irish media are too close to the players / coaches / even bloody refs to be critical of them. They know if they say anything too critical they won't get interviews with them.

Everyone gets interviews on an open press day in camp. On a large day like pre-RWC squad announcement, a large number of players are accessible to all.
    After a match, for example, there is an area for priority broadcast media to interview, a full-on press conference, interviews off top-table then a mixed zone for non-accredited media.

Advertisement