Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dress code

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Yeah depends on the image your trying to give people and also depends if you look old or young for your age.

Personally i think a hoody and pair of jeans n converse look casual n cool, Jeans and white runners look proper 'farmer'.

If i was in town and i seen some guy wearing a full on tracksuit the following words enter my head:

bookies
    dole
    unemployed
    kid
    criminal record
    no tax on car

I think u should always try n look ur best - thats my motto

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

Whether 10, 25 or 80 track suits should not be worn expect for the specific purpose intended, sports or lounging are in your own home. No argument no excesses

Hipsters are the new track suit wearers, laughable in their poor taste and unoriginality while all the while thinking non conforming and stylish

oh yeah!!! Penneys..cheap looking/downmarket the Skoda of clothes - grand for a few socks n jocks, but come on, buy a decent top somewhere. All those people walking around overweight in penneys printed t-shirts look really lazy!! reminds me of when ur in Dublin airport and you see about 20 of the same family tanned in tracksuits with gold chains commin back from Santa Ponza..howa buddy....

Really gets me going when ur on FB on some has commented on a picture we'l say of a girl in a dress ' dress is lovely pet where did u get it xxxx'

girl replys = 'awh thanks pet, its Pennys Best, must do catch up soon xxx'

Kiss mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

PaulieC wrote: »
    First of all buy clothes that fit - if somethings nice but not quite fitting you well, leave it off unless you like it so much that you'd get it altered.

Personally I think plain tees are the way to go - tees with slogans on them are fine every now and again but imo they're slightly juvenile.

Pennys, H&M and Topman all do nice plain v-neck tees - slim fit ones that are quite nice.

Regarding Jeans - they're hard to shop for imo - I don't do it often but again go for a nice fit and what you're comfortable in - sometimes you have to 'break in jeans' give them a couple of wears and then you'll be comfortable in them.

Finally, I'd say chinos and coloured chinos are in and Pennys have some nice varieties for around €15 worth checking out.

Clothes that fit is the most important aspect about dressing well.

If you wear something too baggy or long, you can look like a child wearing his dad's clothes on his first day of internship.

Wearing something too tight or short, you can look like a child who's overgrown his hand-me-downs.

The problem with the fashion blogs and mags is that at times they can go too extreme where they get caught up in their own fashion world and disconnect for the normal guy on the street. I think this guide here is pretty decent for showing guys how to stop dressing like a college kid and upgrade to dressing like an adult:
    http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/201109/project-upgrade-college

You dont have to spend a rake of money on designer clothes to look good (i wouldnt work either if the clothes didnt fit). Guys dressed in plain clothes that fit with a decent colour scheme, are the best dressed.

Carson10 wrote: »
    oh yeah!!! Penneys..cheap looking/downmarket the Skoda of clothes - grand for a few socks n jocks, but come on, buy a decent top somewhere. All those people walking around overweight in penneys printed t-shirts look really lazy!! reminds me of when ur in Dublin airport and you see about 20 of the same family tanned in tracksuits with gold chains commin back from Santa Ponza..howa buddy....

Really gets me going when ur on FB on some has commented on a picture we'l say of a girl in a dress ' dress is lovely pet where did u get it xxxx'

girl replys = 'awh thanks pet, its Pennys Best, must do catch up soon xxx'

Kiss mine!

Well most of my clothes comes from Pennys and, like I said, nobody believes me when I say. They're not all cheap looking - when was the last time you were actually there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Pennys is great, especially now since they're actually starting to stock slimfit clothes, which they never used to. Remember buying small/medium tshirts in there previously and having them hang off of me.
    plusabillion!

Well most of my clothes comes from Pennys and, like I said, nobody believes me when I say. They're not all cheap looking - when was the last time you were actually there?

Think i walked through Pennys at Christmas time to get from one street to another. I think the only time i ever bought a Pennys T-Shirt i seen about 4 others out that night wearing the same one and i said never again.

Yeah true, some Pennys clothes items do look really good, but honestly you'l always feel walking down the street people know its a Pennys Top. Anyway the clothes wash really bad and shrink.

I bought a Tommy Hilfiger Polo shirt about 3 years ago for €50, looks good, hasnt gone out of fashion, washes perfect and still looks new. A Pennys Tee would be long gone by now.

Carson10 wrote: »
    Think i walked through Pennys at Christmas time to get from one street to another. I think the only time i ever bought a Pennys T-Shirt i seen about 4 others out that night wearing the same one and i said never again.

I take it you went for something with a distinguishable pattern on it an not something plain - most people here have mentioned that plain tees are the way to go for this exact reason.

I found they didn't wash great before but have changed to different fabric conditioner and liquid tabs and they're far better as a result imo

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I'm actually in tears laughing at the tools in that.

At what point did dressing like the nerds from "Saved by the bell" become fashionable?!

Victims never change do they?
    Thanks for brightening up my morning!:D

Laugh all you want,They're super hot and 'nerd from saved by the bell' looks better than tracksuits any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

KingK wrote: »
    I am 25 year old and find nothing wrong with track suits.

If i'm heading to the pub or say the cinema i'l have a pair of jeans on,but the best part of my time is spent in tracksuits as it's comfortable. Except of course work with the shirt and tie.

Since when did jeans become considered 'uncomfortable'? lol Jeans are super comfy,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Or in a Skoda, for that matter?

Hazys wrote: »
    Clothes that fit is the most important aspect about dressing well.

If you wear something too baggy or long, you can look like a child wearing his dad's clothes on his first day of internship.

Wearing something too tight or short, you can look like a child who's overgrown his hand-me-downs.

The problem with the fashion blogs and mags is that at times they can go too extreme where they get caught up in their own fashion world and disconnect for the normal guy on the street. I think this guide here is pretty decent for showing guys how to stop dressing like a college kid and upgrade to dressing like an adult:
    http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/201109/project-upgrade-college

You dont have to spend a rake of money on designer clothes to look good (i wouldnt work either if the clothes didnt fit). Guys dressed in plain clothes that fit with a decent colour scheme, are the best dressed.

Nail on the head stuff here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

have pennys tshirts,socks and other small items,dunnes is also great for work clothes,trousers,jumper etc.but go to shop like 53 degrees north and try some hodies,jumpers,even jackets,or fregata stuff and feel the material its pure 100cotton waterproof and of great quality wise and ig you find right size anf fit it will last you years,only minus is the price is 110% more of that what you would pay in the said stores,so sometimes i just try go bargain hunting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

OP
    If your jeans are hard and uncomfortable chances are they are not very good quality...I find spending a bit of money on jeans really does pay off in the end...my OH got a fab pair of Hugo Boss jeans in the Kildare Village...they look amazing and he cant get over how soft and comfortable the material is....win win !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Since when did jeans become considered 'uncomfortable'? lol Jeans are super comfy,

Probably a uniquely male problem.;) I find Levis impossible to wear for example but get jeans in Burton and never have issues

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

If you can find the right ones. Too many of the jeans for men these days are skinny jeans. They are almost impossible put on unless you've starved yourself for 2 months beforehand.

I spent an hour in Debenhams looking for a pair of jeans a few months ago. I found 3 pairs of jeans that fitted me and only one was decent looking.

Whoever decided that skinny jeans are a good idea for men should be shot. I'm not fat in any way but my legs are big enough from playing sports for years. I genuinely can't put 70% of the jeans on because they won't fit over my thighs. Even the ones that I have are tight enough on me.

Sometimes tracksuits are the only option. I don't want to be walking around in a straight jacket pair of jeans all day long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i dedicate this to the tracksuit wearing OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

cani3.png

Advertisement