Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One-Parent Family Payment

• 13-12-2011 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

I know 2 people who claim this payment and the fathers are not around. Yet I know 14 people who claim it and have the partner living with them.
    Does this ratio meet other peoples observations?
    Im not saying it should be done away with as some people do need it, but I think it should be policed a bit better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It's policed but they rely on people who know this to give them information too.

Don't go complaining about it if you haven't bothered to tell the social that these people are breaking the rules!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Why wouldn't you dob them in? They're stealing our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Oh no, not another one of those threads, there are at least a trillion on here already.....

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you dob them in? They're stealing our money.

Was that question for me?

If so, I wasn't saying she SHOULDN'T dob them in. I was just saying I was not recommending one way or the other coz it's not my decision to make. But if I DID have this problem and I had the information the OP has, I wouldn't feel I had the right to complain about it if I didn't pass the information on to the proper authorities.

(I've edited my post accordingly as it DID look like I was advising against dobbing them in, which wasn't my intention)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Im not one to snitch but there is 4 done so far. Link here for anyone who wants to be a snitch with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

EGAR wrote: »
    Oh no, not another one of those threads, there are at least a trillion on here already.....
    Is that a reflection of the activity though, that's the problem.

Im not one to snitch but there is 4 done so far. Link here for anyone who wants to be a snitch with me.

so wait, you DID report 4 of them?

Why not the other 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

In some cases it's a passport to free accomodation, income and away from an unhealthy family environment.
    In other cases the system is abused.
    Who should judge?
    If you know the system is being abused
    then report it. . .

Overheal wrote: »
    Is that a reflection of the activity though, that's the problem.

It's a reflection of the poor ability of users to use the search function given above.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Why not the other 10?

So far. Now at 9, you have to name and give details, it takes time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's a reflection of the poor ability of users to use the search function given above.
    Ah ok I thought it might be the widespread abuse of the insufficient checks and balances on dole fraud. But thanks.

Ah ok I thought it might be the widespread abuse of the insufficient checks and balances on dole fraud. But thanks.

No, it's the repetition. It gets a bit tedious for regular users of AH :D. But thanks for pointing out what you think is wrong from far away.

You'd get shived in prison snitchy boy!

I didnt search as I was stating a ratio of 7:1 viewed by me and didnt think that someone else would have started a thread like that. Maybe you can find one?
    I wasnt looking for people to give me the go ahead to report it.
    I was hoping to get replies with what sort of numbers other people had seen.

But thanks for pointing out my inability to use the search function

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

I know 2 people who claim this payment and the fathers are not around. Yet I know 14 people who claim it and have the partner living with them.
    Im not saying it should be done away with as some people do need it, but I think it should be policed a bit better.

Surely not! This can't be happening. I better look into this matter. Where would I find the directory that lists those in receipt of the one parent allowance so I can park outside their house and observe who comes(sorry) and goes? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

My sister works in the social, in the one parent family section. Believe me, they hate it as much as we do. It takes a lot of time in some cases that these people are cheating the system, months sometimes. It's all a matter of waiting for them to slip up sometimes unfortunately, which they usually do eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

That's 14 people you are not reporting.

Why bitch about something if you are not willing to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

scholar007 wrote: »
    Surely not! This can't be happening. I better look into this matter. Where would I find the directory that lists those in receipt of the one parent allowance so I can park outside their house and observe who comes(sorry) and goes? :D

Why wait for them to slip up?

just round them up and get the workhouses going full tilt again,these single mothers must be punished along with the disabled for destroying the state

When i see that poor man Fitzpatrick having to spend one night in a cell while these people swan around on a couple of hundred euro a week it makes my bloody blood boil

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Jesus Christ are we really going to do this again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

That's 14 people you are not reporting.

Why bitch about something if you are not willing to fix it?

He's down to 9 at last count.

Why post if you're not going to read the whole thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

The way I look at it it's not Actual lone parents scamming it, it's couples who are falsely claiming the OPA also 37 is the average age so that put to bed the notion that all lone parents are snotty nosed 18 yr olds

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

I know a girl who is a legitimate lone parent receiving no support from the father. Someone snitched on her that she was in receipt of cash payments from the father and the social welfare cut cancelled her payment for the investigation. It took her a long while to sort out and in the meanwhile the father actually died so the welfare told her she had to re apply. She was a few months without welfare in all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

just round them up and get the workhouses going full tilt again,these single mothers must be punished along with the disabled for destroying the state

When i see that poor man Fitzpatrick having to spend one night in a cell while these people swan around on a couple of hundred euro a week it makes my bloody blood boil

That's a strawman. Nobody is saying that single mothers or the disabled should be punished at all. What some people are saying is that people who make fraudulent claims should be punished and frankly I agree with them.

Yes it's an absolute disgrace about Fitzpatrick and he should be locked up, but if we keep ignoring all fraud because some of the big boys got away all we're doing is feeding a culture of fraud in this country.

It needs to stop and we need to stop it.

Im not against the lone payment I just think it should go to those who are entitled to it not to couples pretending to not be together. I dont mind paying taxes to support the state and people in it but I dont want to be paying to help people who are not entitled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Ledger wrote: »
    My sister works in the social, in the one parent family section. Believe me, they hate it as much as we do. It takes a lot of time in some cases that these people are cheating the system, months sometimes. It's all a matter of waiting for them to slip up sometimes unfortunately, which they usually do eventually.

Go'wan, tell us - How do they slip up? Can you ask your sister if most of her clients wear tracksuits and hoodies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

TheZohan wrote: »
    That's a strawman. Nobody is saying that single mothers or the disabled should be punished at all. What some people are saying is that people who make fraudulent claims should be punished and frankly I agree with them.

Yes it's an absolute disgrace about Fitzpatrick and he should be locked up, but if we keep ignoring all fraud because some of the big boys got away all we're doing is feeding a culture of fraud in this country.

It needs to stop and we need to stop it.

But what makes it acceptable to go after one group eg single mothers and not the other group ie those at the top of the pyramid property scheme. What makes it acceptable to allow one group to walk away free.

That is discrimination and it's hypocrital.

The irish are weak and spineless. We must be the only nation that allows the priests to rape children for decades and allow them to walk free from the damage they caused. Yet if one was to witness such abuse from a neighbour they would pick up the phone. It is as clear as daylight the irish or the majority are gutless and afraid of those in power.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    But what makes it acceptable to go after one group eg single mothers and not the other group ie those at the top of the pyramid property scheme. What makes it acceptable to walk away free.

That is discrimination and it's hypocrital.

The irish are weak and spineless. We must be the only nation that allows the priests to rape children for decades and allow them to walk free from the damage they caused. Yet if one was to witness such abuse from a neighbour they would pick up the phone. It is as clear as daylight the irish or the majority are gutless and afraid of those in power.

So....... what you're saying is....... you think social welfare fraud is comparable to child rape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I understand that you can see pretty clearly when two people are living together, but how do you work out when one of them is claiming a single parent allowance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

MrStuffins wrote: »
    So....... what you're saying is....... you think social welfare fraud is comparable to child rape?

I'm not comparing the two but it is clear to see people are afraid of those in power.

• Advertisement

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I'm not comparing the two but it is clear to see people are afraid of those in power.

It looks to me like you are. You're talking about child rape in a thread about social welfare fraud.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement