Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yep, coast was fine apart from the stretch at St Annes Park. Deep floods but passable on the bike in low gear. Only later did I think of watching out for lifted manhole covers. They'd be a problem on the bike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Interesting spin home this evening. Started out avoiding the flooded sections of road but it pretty soon became apparent that I wouldn't be going anywhere that way. Some axle-deep floods, low gear and keep spinning. Overshoes filled up from the start. Was grand most of the way, overtaking the cars awaiting their turns through the floods. Got a bit chilled for the last bit. Normal 32 min commute took 44 min...

Same here, 15 min cycle turned into about 30-40 mins. I got so wet I just didn't care anymore. My rain jacket is no longer rain proof but trousers seemed to do very well. Shoes were f'd from the start. The last 10-15 mins of my cycle was through axle deep floods in an area with bad roads to begin with. It was a nightmare, hoping I wouldn't hit a pothole.

One of my front lights died during it from the rain. :(

To anyone on the southside avoid the area around the grand canal. It's completely flooded.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,188 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

For the benefit of Holyboy;)

Dundrum Town Centre this evening

And for those looking to catch a bus

Beasty wrote: »

Wonder how his shop is. I cycled through the crossroads earlier and the whole area was flooded. I didn't check around the corner but from what I could see Sth. Circular was flooded too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

I'll give you 5 grand for it, payable by cheque in a brown envelope:D

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Dord wrote: »
    Wonder how his shop is. I cycled through the crossroads earlier and the whole area was flooded. I didn't check around the corner but from what I could see Sth. Circular was flooded too.

Water tight(from the outside) the poor old newsagent a few doors down didnt fair so well:(

Beasty wrote: »

Dundrum Town Centre this evening

And for those looking to catch a bus

Thanks beasty,tried but failed to post that,computers eh!

Holyboy wrote: »
    Dord wrote: »

Water tight(from the outside) the poor old newsagent a few doors down didnt fair so well:(

Jaysus, you got away lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

knocked off bike for first time this morning.

i'm fine, bike is fine, van's passenger window broken (thank god for helmet) and i know this has been done to death but i should report it yeah?

think it's just my nature to think that doing that would be "causing a fuss"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

G rock wrote: »

i'm fine, bike is fine, van's passenger window broken (thank god for helmet) and i know this has been done to death but i should report it yeah?

Yes, and congrats on surviving unscathed..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes yes yes yes yes yes.

And go see a GP today just for a once-over. A helmet is designed to reduce injury in an impact, not to completely protect you. If the window broke, then you probably gave it a fair clatter, so you could have a mild concussion and you might have a stiff neck for a few days. So please report it to the local station and get yourself checked out.

Actually enjoyed the commute last night, reminded me of the snow. Most water was only 2/3 inches on my route. Overshoes lasted about ten minutes - though most of the water was coming in through the bottom, so I said fnck it and just ploughed on through. Was loving the bike last night, could even get through where people couldn't walk.

My jacket has been upgraded from "good" to "epic". 40 minutes in torrential rain, I assumed I was soaked, but the jacket was keeping me warm. Jacket off, bone dry underneath (soaked everywhere else).

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

The Helmet is good for the bin as well, if you knocked it hard enough to break a window it's time for a new one

yeah know about the helmet.

rang garda station and they said to come in to report it.

they said that in case they want to proceed with a criminal investigation instead of just a civil thing.

i don't want to proceed with anything of the sort but just want to have a record of the incident. is that fair enough? do they give you that option when it has been reported or is it out of your hands at that stage?

Pretty much out of your hands when you report it afaik, though if you tell the Gardai that you don't think the guy needs to be charged, they mightn't bother pursuing it if their only witness isn't all that into it.

Don't feel bad about claiming your costs. By the time you've bought a new helmet and paid for the GP you'll be out more than €100. Plus if you've had to take time off work that can cost too. Why should you have to pay for it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Having to endure the Spanish dance pop version of Skater Boi would be fairly grueling alright.

seamus wrote: »
    Pretty much out of your hands when you report it afaik, though if you tell the Gardai that you don't think the guy needs to be charged, they mightn't bother pursuing it if their only witness isn't all that into it.

Don't feel bad about claiming your costs. By the time you've bought a new helmet and paid for the GP you'll be out more than €100. Plus if you've had to take time off work that can cost too. Why should you have to pay for it? :)

cheers seamus,

guess i just don't have the inclination to go down prosecution route, i know it was stupid of him to pull out in front of me, but i guess the line of traffic i was filtering along didn't help matters much.

could have been a lot worse

thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

i don't want to proceed with anything of the sort but just want to have a record of the incident. is that fair enough? do they give you that option when it has been reported or is it out of your hands at that stage?

Make that clear and it shouldn't be a problem. It's highly unlikely anyone will want to make a federal case out of it against your wishes.
    However....if the driver wasn't supposed to be driving (no insurance/disqualified etc.) you could end up in court as a witness regardless.

I know I want panniers. I've searched on this forum on what the best thing to get is, but they're expensive. Cheapest bag & rack set is €60. Ideal (Ortlieb) is €130. Maybe I just don't want them enough to hand over my money just for a bag. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

0005264c-640.jpg

Something tells me the guy with the brolly wasn't smiling for too much longer.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Junior

FF Evolution

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Another reason why Roberto Mancini is on the side of the angels

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3812502/Roberto-Mancinis-son-rise.html

but surely he should be using Campagnolo

and he appears to be a bit of a wimp when the weather turns

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Manchester-City-See-Roberto-Mancini-wimp-out-when-caught-in-rain-while-on-bike-ride-picture-article798670.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

8mz7V.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Fixed gear? Check. Aero wheels? Check.

Hipster robot is F-A-B.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,188 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

My living room this morning...... :(

311791_2550202075365_1263268639_3010805_1721057739_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Holy carp !! is that the waterline at the height of the pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Yeah, got up over the roof on the outside. Very scary stuff. Happened in about a minute after the river wall broke. We had to pull off a daring escape over the back walls.

• Advertisement

pic-114-s.jpg AWESOME!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement