Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling forum Raid Pyrénéen trip 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

eh no thanks lenny i only climb hills when i have no other choice.
    the only problem (for want of a better word ) you guys will have is not so much climbing its the lenght of the climb, like where in ireland is there a climb 25km :confused:
    so having said that your training is all wrong you need to be doing 150miles spins with every big hill you can find. so basically cycle to cooley on sunday the hard route and cycle home..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I'm after putting on a load of weight since I did my ankle, I'm eating pizza watching the champions league when normally I'd be playing soccer, I'm up to 72kg and I've developed moobs. I've agreed with a friend that we should go jogging in local woods as my dodgy knees don't take well to the road. Also Astra, I won't be up today as my auntie is coming to visit.

The last time that I weighed 72kg, I think I was maybe 12 or 13 years of age.
    Your skinny. Stop bitching.

AstraMonti wrote: »

Cant use the seat post or clamp as the Kuota seatpost is sort of aero in design (http://www.kuota.it/bike.php?IDCategoria=1&IDBicicletta=32&IDColore=1#Sector4).

The skewers look nice and I was thinking of getting new skewers anyway, as the Ksyrium skewers rattle - which is very annoying.
    The handlebar design that you put up doesnt work for me. I dont like the anatomical bars. I think the style that I like is called ergo???
    This is what I have on one of the bikes and really like:
    http://www.marreybikes.com/en/handlebars/970-deda-hydra-handlebars.html

So something with that type of drop and a flat top for resting my hands on, when on long climbs would be ideal.

Thanks for the ideas, no get back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

so having said that your training is all wrong you need to be doing 150miles spins with every big hill you can find. so basically cycle to cooley on sunday the hard route and cycle home..

i fully agree. finding the time however is tough :(

you sure you dont fancy coming out with us. I know you secretly love hills.

lennymc wrote: »

Mixed feelings about this tbh. Yep, in an ideal world we would cycle loads and loads over very very long climbs. However, if we could do that here, we wouldnt be planning our summer holidays around it in a different country.

Life prevents us from doing the most appropriate training, so we must improvise to do the next best thing.

If running helps you to lose weight and get fit, it will be of some help.

I am hoping to find enough time that I can do 3-4 days of 50-70km on the bike back to back.
    A 200km cycle is doable as a once off. The key is to be able to get back on the bike the following day and repeat.
    That is why I will hopefully be building to back to back cycles.

On the hills - there is nothing here that replicates the climbs in the Pyrenees.

So there are two approaches
    (1) Do lots of hill repeats
    (2) Do very long cycles to simulate ten hours in the saddle and build into this points where you will be working your body in a similar fashion than on a climb. So you could do say a 10 hour day, with 3 to 4 period of an hour at threshold.

For what its worth I will hopefully do some back to back sportifs in May (ie Saturday and Sunday). I think this will help.
    I have a few routes planned over the next few weeks that are 130-150km with lots of climbs. However they will still be unable to replicate the sheer length of climbs on the Raid. There is nothing that can be done about that, so there is no point in worrying about that.

My goal for the raid is as follows
    (i) Enjoy it.
    (ii) Complete it
    (iii) Do it at a brisk enough pace so that I get plenty of recovery time in so that I can fulfil points (i) and (ii).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

It's nice to keep an eye on this discussion, wouldn't mind giving this trip a bash in 2013!

alps in 2013, himalyas in 2014 :)

my goals are pretty much the same as ROK ON's.
    Complete it, enjoy it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'd be an advocate of stamina over climbing ability, on multi-dayers the ability to be able to get back on the bike the morning after is key.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I'd be an advocate of stamina over climbing ability, on multi-dayers the ability to be able to get back on the bike the morning after is key.

the thing thats gonna keep me going day after day is any one of the photos that velopeleton posted in the 'post pictures from your cycle' thread. youd want to be dead to not appreciate them!

Is anyone bringing a camera? I have a wee camera, but it doesnt take as nice a picture as my nice camera, so i might bring that. Its bulky tho, and Im not sure where I would put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

im finding this is much cheaper and im still loosing weight. Reckon ill be mid 80s for the trip (down from mid 112)

Good an ya Lenny, that'll make a big difference...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

only from the top coming down:D:D
    nah thanks lenny but i'm on the tourer most of the time getting used to it again for my upcoming tour.;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Nice spin this morning. Sally / Wicklow and back up Sally Gap.
    1780m of climbing. Think that's right. New to RideWithWings.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/557883

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Planet X wrote: »
    Nice spin this morning. Sally / Wicklow and back up Sally Gap.
    1780m of climbing. Think that's right. New to RideWithWings.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/557883

You got a cracking day for it! Here's hoping tomorrow is as good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

yeah smashing out their this morning, just 60km or so for me got the 1,000 metres fo climbing in thou, struggled up stocking lane thou.

this day in 4 months it will all be over.....

well if anyone fancys warm weather training today i recommend sally gap, just mind the smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

manafana wrote: »
    well if anyone fancys warm weather training today i recommend sally gap, just mind the smoke.
    Was up there yesterday about 1300,couldn't believe the heat (for March!!). Will hardly be a nicer day this year for it--though i hope so :)

when i decided to do this trip i weighed 112.5 kg, and figured if I got to 90 for the trip that would be great. Weighed myself today and the scales read 89.4kg! happy days! Im nearly under the maximum recommended rider weight for some wheels now!! yay.

when i decided to do this trip i weighed 112.5 kg, and figured if I got to 90 for the trip that would be great. Weighed myself today and the scales read 89.4kg! happy days! Im nearly under the maximum recommended rider weight for some wheels now!! yay.

congrats lenny, still hoovering at 86kg myself but not worried as happy ride with extra weight for now, weight loss can come in may-june. Strong in saddle today climbed well knocked off 2mins 30 on 7km segement up the cruagh road.

Wont even resemle some of the climbs thou.

if anyone else bar lenny and ROK are on strava add me,

http://app.strava.com/athletes/335646

well knocked off 2mins 30 on 7km segement up the cruagh road.

good man! you sound like your enjoying the new bike.

• Advertisement

good man! you sound like your enjoying the new bike.

back to the old bike me thinks, althou my postion on new bike is much better that 120km + on the old bike isnt sounding tempting

anyone heading out in the morning?

anyone heading out in the morning?

Ardattin 200. Bray. 8am. :D

Ardattin 200. Bray. 8am. :D
    I was hoping to do this but couldn't enter for diplomatic reasons.
    But I think 200km lumpy cycle is arguably better prep for the Raid than 50-70km in the hills.
    Any of the climbs that I do is 2-5pm at gradients on avg lower than the principal climbs on the Raid.
    8hours on an Audax is still 8 hours however.

Are you doing Ardattin PX?

Yup. I'll give it a spin.
    Was in Dublin today this afternoon and had a big vegetarian curry. Should be tight!

wouldnt be quiet right for a 200 just yet i think, but need push myself to do one, want get back for paris roubaix 2moro so dont know about 200, but il push on if its not raining and try match last weeks total.

Going to try and crack 2000m. tomorrow.

Penance for the day that is in it.

I have to say, my legs were still sore from 1900m last Sunday. Spent an hour on turbo yday and it was hard.

Best of luck, I presume you will be in Wicklow - hope the weather has cleared up.

ROK ON wrote: »

Penance for the day that is in it.

I have to say, my legs were still sore from 1900m last Sunday. Spent an hour on turbo yday and it was hard.

Best of luck, I presume you will be in Wicklow - hope the weather has cleared up.

Wicklow yeah. Might start on Slaughter and take it from there.
    Had knee pain after the Ardattin last week though. See how it goes.

• Advertisement

I need to get back to wicklow. Havent been in any real hills since I got sick a couple of weeks ago. I could head back up to the cooley mountains and do repeats of the clermont cairn mast......

Wont make wikclow this weekend, need to fit new doors in the house, so will keep it local. Hoping to get out friday, saturday, sunday and monday to get used to the multi day element. Not sure what sort of distance or climbing tho. Will have to see. I have a TT to practice for, so might just be repeats of a relatively flat road close by.

Ive started looking at the bike im bringing, with a view to making a list of servicable items ill be changing. Gonna change all cables and the chain. Everything else should be fresh enough, but ill get it serviced before hand anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement