Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

• 21-11-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

My first log tracked my progress from couch to today’s 5-mile race in Leenane. Following Hal Higdon’s 8km Novice Plan over 8 weeks, my goal was to run it in 45 minutes but I ended up running it in 41 minutes 45 seconds.

Plan for 2011:
    Now that I’ve successfully completed my first plan, I’ll be using Hal Higdon’s novice plans for other distances while training for the following:
    • Connemara Half Marathon (10 April)
    • Another Half Marathon distance as part of a relay team for the Ironman 70.3 in Galway (4 September)
    • Dublin City Marathon (31 October)
    I also intend on completing the 1000 Mile Challenge but don’t expect to complete it until the end of December 2011, if at all!

PBs and Goals:

Distance|Current PB|Goal PB
    5km|00:25:42 (21.11.10)|00:25:00
    5 miles|00:41:45 (21.11.10)|00:40:00
    10km|00:58:00 (10.12.06)|00:50:00
    10 miles||01:20:00
    Half Marathon|02:50:53 (30.10.06)|01:50:00
    Marathon|06:30:51 (30.10.06)|03:50:00

Cross-training
    My cross-training over the past few months has consisted of four 5km cycles per week. I don’t think this is very challenging as I’ve been cycling an average of 30km a week for the past 13 years (I’ve recently moved house closer to the city centre).

I’m not going to count the cycling as cross-training anymore but will take up swimming again as my cross-training as per HH’s guidelines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

My plan now is to first reach the 10-mile distance. To do this I’ll be following the last 8 weeks of HH’s 10-week Novice Plan. My intention is for this 8 weeks to be a precursor to my half marathon training which I plan to begin 17 January.

Monday

I'm feeling quite sore from the race yesterday. I did a Stretch & Strength session this morning so hopefully I'll be feeling better for my first run tomorrow.

Tuesday

I'm feeling very stiff again today so I decided to swap the Tuesday 3-mile with the Thursday 2-mile. I didn't bother cycling to the Phoenix Park for the run because it was so short. I ran up to Crumlin along the Grand Canal and back again. I didn't notice my speed until I checked my GPS at the end - a very fast 8.30min/mile by my standards.

Distance: 2 miles
    Time: 17:01
    Pace: 8.30min/mile
    Climb: 0

Thursday

Back to my old flat 3-mile route again in the Phoenix Park. Enjoyed the run and didn't look at the GPS until the very end. It's starting to get cold now, plenty of frost and a bit of ice in the Park!

Will do my LSR on Sunday night in the dark with a running partner and head-torch. Hopefully somewhere hilly!

Distance: 3 miles
    Time: 28:23
    Pace: 9.27min/mile

Saturday

Finally went swimming today. Only did 30 minutes but I'm happy I left the house.

I might well get a subscription for the new Swan Leisure centre in Rathmines as I imagine a treadmill will get very useful when the weather is worse than this.

Still deciding whether to do my LSR today or tomorrow.

Time: 30 minutes
    Lengths (25m): 24

• Advertisement

Saturday

Will do my LSR tomorrow after all. I did another weight-training session today as I missed Thursday's.

Previously I've been doing 3 * 15 reps of:
    • 6.6kg bench press & biceps curl
    • Lunges with 4.4kg barbell
    • Overhead pull with 3.3kg dumbbell
    • Crunches
    I started today with 3 * 16 reps and will add one extra rep at each session.

Sunday

I managed to get my Long Snow Run in this morning. I couldn't sleep with the excitement of having more snow outside so I was awake since 7.30! I didn't slip once and thought it was quite enjoyable running along the Grand Canal. I did an Out & Back twice so that I was never too far from the house if I slipped. Thinking about investing in a pair of YakTrax to make it easier.

Distance: 4 miles
    Time: 39:29
    Pace: 9.53min/mile

Thursday

I finally got out for a run, thanks to my classes being cancelled :D. I tried out the YakTrax for the first time and they were brilliant. It helped that the snow was fresh so it was crunchy enough.

I've only missed one day of running since the snow came so I'm happy enough with that, plus I've been doing plenty of walking as cross-training. I'd like to go back to the swimming pool but I don't think I can make the time until Monday.

Time: 19:19
    Pace: 9.40min/mile

PS I passed out a Ferrari!.
    PPS. This run was scheduled for Tuesday but obviously the snow got in the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

I finally got out for a run, thanks to my classes being cancelled :D. I tried out the YakTrax for the first time and they were brilliant. It helped that the snow was fresh so it was crunchy enough.

I've only missed one day of running since the snow came so I'm happy enough with that, plus I've been doing plenty of walking as cross-training. I'd like to go back to the swimming pool but I don't think I can make the time until Monday.

PS I passed out a Ferrari!
    Well done!!!

How were the YakTax and where did you get them? Hating being stuck in and wishing the snow and ice gone, gone.

maria74 wrote: »
    Well done!!!

How were the YakTax and where did you get them? Hating being stuck in and wishing the snow and ice gone, gone.

I got them in Capel Camping in Capel Street. I think they're the only shop in Dublin that sells them!

I've ran in them twice (2 miles each time) and have had no problems at all. I've done a good bit of walking in them (around 20km this week) and the only time I've had trouble is on cleared pavements!

• Advertisement

Saturday

Did another 2 miles today. Didn't bother starting the GPS even though I brought the phone (just in case I slipped etc.). Did more stretching and weights too.

Luckily enough my training plan only required me to do three 2-mile runs this week. Can't wait for next week's longer runs :D

Time: n/a
    Pace: n/a

PS. Today's run was scheduled for Thursday. I'm only two days behind schedule but will catch up next week (running every second day now).

Monday

2 miles on the ice again today. It must be very cold out as there were long stretches of the canal completely frozen over.

I might consider going to the Phoenix Park on Wednesday.

Time: 17:52
    Pace: 8:57min/mile

I might consider going to the Phoenix Park on Wednesday.

If you can find the park in all the snow!!!

Tuesday

It turns out that my 24 lengths in the pool last week weren't 25m, but 15m!

Went again first thing this morning and completed 24 lengths of 25m. It was a lot tougher than the last time but felt great going home!

Time: 40 mins

Wednesday

4 miles up and down the Grand Canal again. It was reassuring to see that I wasn't the only person out running on the ice. Feeling great now :D

No Phoenix Park run for me yet. Maybe I'll wait for my LSR of 5 miles this Sunday when I have the time.

Time: 37:28
    Pace: 9:22min/mile

Friday

I went all out with the training today!

Run
    A very fast 3 miles without YakTrax in the cycle lane by the Canal. All the training on ice must have paid off as it felt very easy running at that pace.

Time: 25:11
    Pace: 8:23min/mile

Swim
    Another 24 lengths today. I took far fewer breaks today - one every 3 lengths.

Weights Session
    I've upped my reps to 20 now.

I can really feel the benefits of being fitter now!

Sunday

Finally got to do a hilly run, my first in 3 weeks. With a partner, I ran from Laughanstown Luas stop up to the top of the peak at Ballycorus Leadmines - my longest run yet. Great start to a Sunday :D

Distance: 5.3 miles
    Time: 54:57
    Pace: 10:24min/mile
    Climb: 190m

Monday

Stretching and weights today. I haven't been good with my stretching lately (2 weeks without stretching :eek:). Still at 20 reps on the weights, crunches are a lot easier now

Tuesday
    Cycled to the Phoenix Park (got hit twice by two cars on my way there, there are some mentallers on the roads who don't use their indicators!). Ran 4 miles from the Magazine Fort, up to the Papal Cross and around the 15 Acres. The sun was rising as I was heading back towards the Magazine Fort - beautiful!

Time: 35:12
    Pace: 8:48min/mile
    Climb: 20m

Thursday

Didn't manage to make it out to the Phoenix Park this afternoon so I did my run along the Canal again. Started off at a good pace, decided to pick up my pace on the way back and finished off with my fastest average pace since I took up running again this year :D Very happy!

On my Christmas holidays now so hopefully I'll get to do a few scenic runs in Dublin and Galway!

Time: 24:36
    Pace: 8:11min/mile
    Climb: 0m

Thursday

On my Christmas holidays now so hopefully I'll get to do a few scenic runs in Dublin and Galway!

Me too :D...and yeah hopefully get few good runs in..snow dependant! Well done on fastest average pace..good way to end the year!

• Advertisement

maria74 wrote: »
    Well done on fastest average pace..good way to end the year!

The year's not over yet :D

Friday

Swimming

Pushed myself again today and restricted myself to a one-minute break every four lengths. I have the opportunity to attend Masters' Sessions but I don't think I'm swimming-fit enough yet! Don't want to look like a wussy who can't swim a few lengths without a break!

Time: 40 mins

Saturday

Decided to get my LSR in today before the weather gets any worse. In the Conamara Gaeltacht at the moment and the place looks great! Could see the snow-covered Beanna Beola (Twelve Bens) to the north and Cliffs of Moher and na hOileáin Árann to the south. Plenty of tracks in the snow from badgers and what not. Very enjoyable run!

Distance: 6.06 miles
    Time: 55:45
    Pace: 9:11min/mile
    Climb: 60m

Wednesday

Missed yesterday's run but got out tonight instead. Another piece of my YakTrax broke halfway leaving them completely useless. Continued on regardless and didn't slip. Felt I was going really slow but the GPS data shows that it wasn't that slow after all :) Ran part of the same route as the last run and saw the sun setting behind the Aran Islands.

Time: 28:01
    Pace: 9:20min/mile
    Climb: 60m

Friday

Back in Dublin. Did a 3-miler along the Canal. Snow conditions were ok, the biggest danger was twisting my ankle but I don't think it was any more dangerous than an off-road trail. If I do my shopping in time I might make it to the pool this evening.

Time: 29:26
    Pace: 9:49min/mile
    Climb: 2ft (to get up on to the snow from my door!)

Sunday

Was in Trim today and ran 4 miles in a large field beside the Boyne. Lovely views again and felt like I didn't really push myself (couldn't run quicker because of the thawing ice and snow).

Time: 36:53
    Pace: 9:13min/mile
    Climb: 0m

Wednesday

Back in Galway again. Did over 5 miles today, 3 of them with a running partner. Got roped into running the Resolution Run 5km in Renmore, Galway this Saturday so I won't be doing any more running until then. Will leave my 7-mile LSR for Monday morning.

Distance: 5.2 miles
    Time: 53:49
    Pace: 10:20min/mile
    Climb: 100m

Saturday - 5km Race

Headed to Renmore in Galway for the Resolution Run this afternoon. I only decided to run this during the week so I wasn't fully prepared for it. As it was the day after the night before, I wasn't going to be disappointed if I didn't hit my target of 25 minutes.

I had planned to run the first half of this with a friend and then continue if he wasn't feeling good (he's football fit, but only did one 5km run on Wednesday as training for the race).

The race started quite abruptly for me as I didn't hear the race whistle. We placed ourselves well within the starting pack as we found ourselves on our own after 3 minutes. The first kilometre was quite fast, a split of 4:51.

Kilometres 2 & 3 had a good few small hills that slowed us down a bit. We hit the 2km mark with a 4:54 split and the 3km mark with a 5:11 split, but we felt quite good so we stayed together.

My back started hurting me after the 3km mark and I started doubting I could finish in 25 minutes but having a partner meant I stuck it out and got a 4:53 split. I suppose we felt my target was still in reach so we decided to pick up the pace after 4km.

The last kilometre felt quite bad - my breathing sounded demented and my eyes were stinging with the sweat but got there in the end in 24:50.

Very pleased with my first PB in 2011 :D

Distance: 5km
    Time: 24:50
    Pace: 7:59min/mile
    Climb: 20m

Well done, great way to start 2011!

• Advertisement

Monday

I did yesterday's LSR today instead. Cycled out to the Phoenix Park and did 7 miles, covering a lot of the perimeter of the Park. GPS crashed after the first mile and I twisted my ankle in the third mile! Kept going anyway.

This was my first 60mins+ run and I've learned that I have to be properly fed and hydrated before hand, maybe even bring a water bottle for next week's 8-mile LSR.

Distance: 7 miles
    Time: 1:06:00
    Pace: 9:25min/mile
    Climb: 40m

Advertisement