Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Post Codes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

As far as I know we don't have postcodes at the min.
    But I think the gov. are going to introduce it some time soon. That's what I heard anyway!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

tbh would love if we brought them in - every web form requires them and then rables back at me about using "00000" or "n/a"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Only in Dublin atm I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Is it for an account on-line ?
    If it is. Try the phone code 00353 often works or just put in the Zip code IRL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Nope, though they should bring them in. I know that there's a thing called the Geodirectory which is a joint enterprise between An Post and the Ordnance Survey. It gives every building in the country its own unique geocode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

mayordenis wrote: »
    tbh would love if we brought them in - every web form requires them and then rables back at me about using "00000" or "n/a"

So just put down "n/a" every time? Works for me.

I really don't understand the whole obsession with having postcodes. They're a pain in the hole.

Yeah, there are some advantages but more hassle than they're worth.

Sometimes I think people just want them cause they have them in Britain and that we're some way inferior for not having them.

We're not. And we don't need them. Our population doesn't warrant such a system.

By the way, there's a fairly long discussion on this top in Politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

only in dublin. They tried to bring them in on trial basis in certain parts of the country but reports were that most boggers couldnt understand the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

rhapsody! wrote: »
    As far as I know we don't have postcodes at the min.
    But I think the gov. are going to introduce it some time soon. That's what I heard anyway!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=259296

Note the dates on that thread. We still don't have any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

I hate it when you go onto sites for freebies and have to put in postcode and it says your postcode is invalid.

Of course it's invalid.. it doesn't damn well exist!!

--

Ah yes well the government were never punctual really..

I think postcodes would be extremely handy if I'm honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

rhapsody! wrote: »
    I hate it when you go onto sites for freebies and have to put in postcode and it says your postcode is invalid.

Of course it's invalid.. it doesn't damn well exist!!

--

Ah yes well the government were never punctual really..

I think postcodes would be extremely handy if I'm honest.

Use BT1 1AA if you're in need of a postcode. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Dord wrote: »
    Use BT1 1AA if you're in need of a postcode. ;)

whats that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

whats that?
    I'm pretty sure it's Belfast's post code.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

FX Meister wrote: »
    only in dublin. They tried to bring them in on trial basis in certain parts of the country but reports were that most boggers couldnt understand the system
    Going to back that up with anything?!

• I'm pretty sure it's Belfast's post code.

It's the Belfast city centre Postoffice.

Anyway if you want a postcode try here you can then get a "postcode" that anyone can use a (compatable) GPS/Satnav to find your exact location, well within 100m unless the yanks are at war then 10m.

As for AnPost postcodes,.........

don't hold your breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

whats that?

Bt11aa, if you're using it for freebies or whatever, is the postcode of the central post office in Belfast. They normally forward our post down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

the current postal system works fine, the only people really pushing for Post Codes are the Directmail spammers and the door to door sales people as it would facilitate the neat breakdown of the nation into easily managed sections.

being the only country in europe AFAIK that dont have postcodes is brilliant, when you are checkin in somewhere at night in a foreign country, they notice that there is no postcode on yer form and they start at ya, then you point out that Ireland dosent have or need postcodes, I generally piut the address as

Coat, Mahatma
    Parish,
    County,
    Ireland.

and most of the stuff makes its way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

the current postal system works fine, the only people really pushing for Post Codes are the Directmail spammers and the door to door sales people as it would facilitate the neat breakdown of the nation into easily managed sections.

being the only country in europe AFAIK that dont have postcodes is brilliant, when you are checkin in somewhere at night in a foreign country, they notice that there is no postcode on yer form and they start at ya, then you point out that Ireland dosent have or need postcodes, I generally piut the address as

Coat, Mahatma
    Parish,
    County,
    Ireland.

and most of the stuff makes its way home.

What an insane way to write your address! Sure to keep the conspirators off the trail yeah?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I find it more annoying that websites expect you to have a postcode, we aren't the only country to not have them. I blame the USA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Would you mind linking to these reports please. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Would you mind linking to these reports please. Thanks.

i think he's trying to be funny.

He's not very good at it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Geocodes are up and running and used in home insurance, by some companies, for identifing houses in flood or subsidence areas.

Do we need them for post? Not really but it would not hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The current postal system works fine because An Post have an internal post code system AFAIK.

We need post codes for sat nav's TBH and for general handiness (e.g. compatibility with almost every website that sells stuff). Anyone living outside a town who has had to get something delivered by courier should know we need postcodes.

There is a very good reason for post codes anyway, so you can read a 6/7 digit code to the emergency services and have them turn up where you are instead of giving them directions to your location because its on such and such a street around half way down on the left :rolleyes:

Not having postcodes at this stage is a fooking joke and anyone that thinks we don't need them obviously doesn't use the services that require them yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Apparently they are of no use to An Post though. The UK version is apparently outmoded and has its disadvantages. For Ireland to simply mimic it would be a 50 year old solution to a modern problem. The UK system narrows an address to 10 houses or so. Germany could be 50,000 with one BLZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

but not all areas in Dublin have them. Dun Laoghaire i know doesnt have one and i think it's the same for all the surrounding areas ie Blackrock, Sallynoggin, Ballybrack, Shankill and probably more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Dun laoire wrote: »
    but not all areas in Dublin have them. Dun Laoghaire i know doesnt have one and i think it's the same for all the surrounding areas ie Blackrock, Sallynoggin, Ballybrack, Shankill and probably more.

That's because they're all classed as Co. Dublin. Anywhere within the city limits has a postcode, up to a maximum of 2 whole digits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I can't understand the need for post codes outside of Dublin as there just isn't the population for it, but the lack of house numbers and road names in the countryside is ridiculous. Stuff like John Murphy, Townland, Co Cork - must be a nightmare for a new postman/woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Jaysus will ye relax. Let us get our head around this euro thing first!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It isn't much use in terms of SAT NAV because the postcode for IKEA in Belfast brings ya to a scrap yard in belfast city centre

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd hardly call the dublin area codes a post code in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Dudess wrote: »
    I can't understand the need for post codes outside of Dublin as there just isn't the population for it, but the lack of house numbers and road names in the countryside is ridiculous. Stuff like John Murphy, Townland, Co Cork - must be a nightmare for a new postman/woman.

It'd be easier to introduce a postcode system than name every house and road in the country.

Advertisement