Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tattoos in Mullingar

• 26-03-2008 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Am looking to get my first tattoo done next month for the birthday. I'm doing some reading up on the body modification forum but would like if possible to get it done locally. There are two studios as far as I know, the vibe and Outback tattoos. My impression is that Outback is better just from reading but I'd like to know if anyone on this board has any any experiences they'd like to share before I get a portion of my back altered for life!

Am thinking of a snake, but would like to involve some playing cards - Diamond back rattlesnake - Ace of Diamonds - something unusual like that lol.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Am looking to get my first tattoo done next month for the birthday. I'm doing some reading up on the body modification forum but would like if possible to get it done locally. There are two studios as far as I know, the vibe and Outback tattoos. My impression is that Outback is better just from reading but I'd like to know if anyone on this board has any any experiences they'd like to share before I get a portion of my back altered for life!

Am thinking of a snake, but would like to involve some playing cards - Diamond back rattlesnake - Ace of Diamonds - something unusual like that lol.

personally, I would always go to Glen in Outback, I've never been too impressed with The Vibe to be honest, they come across as being a bit arrogant to me. they will only do flash, and it it isn't out of their portfolio then they arn't interested. on the other hand Glen in Outback will chat with you about what you would like, and design a custom tattoo for you, to me a tattoo is something personal and shouldn't be treated like a takeaway menu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Thanks, got that confirmed with a few people, must drop into him on Monday. Was going to go to the vibe on Tuesday but there was a load of roadworks outside it, took that as a sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Wonderin if you guys can help.
    I'm currently getting my tattoo designed for my leg. It pure black and looks basic enough.
    Where in Mullingar would you recommend?
    I've been in the one beside the sex shop, not sure what its called. Are there others??
    Any other places nearby?

Cheers lads

There's the Vibe which is upstairs opposite the Greville arms hotel but I've heard they're not into doing custom tattoos but no harm to talk to them. Apparantly there's a very good guy in Longford but I have no exact location for him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

Erm, since when do the Vibe only do flash????? I am having some artwork drawn up for a custom tattoo on my shoulder. I have had a custom tattoo already, nothing off the wall. Sounds like nonsense to me.

• Advertisement

I havent been to the vibe but just from what ppl tell me and whats on this site they ain't too keen on customs. However went to outback yesterday, can't say I was overly impressed with the physical setup but there was 4 ppl there already so obviously busy.

Often depends on which artist ur talkin to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

Well if you haven't been, I suggest you go and check it out ! Don't just go by what you hear:D
    Very clean at least......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Dragona-which shop in town do you recommend??
    Only know of the 1 under the archway near specsavers

I think I'll check it out, heard good things about Outback but Dragona is right, you can't beat seeing something with your own eyes.

Youngblood, the other one is the Vibe which is opposite the Greville hotel again on the first floor. All their windows have their logo on them so it's hard to miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ColdDeadEyes

At the end of the day its wat tattooist you like, because every tattooist work is diff....style/colur/black/grey etc.. and thats only the half of it. Styrlisation is the second half, if its not clean DO NOT get tattood!!! would you let a Doctor preform medicals on you if his hands where dirty or didnt change gloves? of coarse not but that is wat people always forget to look for!! "Heres your tattoo and a desease free of charge" I know alot of tattooist and have been into alot of shops and know wat to look for and with out a doubt Outback is not styrile....One way to know is ask if they are a registered tattooist (Glenn is not) if they are they have to abide by certain laws and there hygien has to be up to standard, any shop that is not registered is not up to standard and thats the reason there not registered.

I personally wouldnt get tattood in Outback cause of the hygien but thats my opinion, All I know is that when I walk into The Vibe it smells like a hospital/dentist and thats a very good ****in sign of it bein clean. Oh and to the guy who said they DONT do custom work ha ha I have 12+ tattoos rangin from small to the whole side of my ribs and all of it was designs I brought in and we talked about it and he drew up exactly what I wanted so dont really know wat your on about there...

This is how people get bad tattoos, they listen to people that dont know wat there talkin about and slate shops even though they know nothing about tattooing and the way its run.

Here are some guide lines too go by when deciding on a tattooist/shop:

Are they Registered?
    Are the needles one time use only?
    Do they have a Portfolio?
    etc etc

If any of these answers are No then dont get tattood!! Common sense people is wats needed. A person bein ignorant on the day does not come into account im afraid, evryone has a bad day and them bein ignorant does not make there work bad....Id say Leonardo Devinci was ignorant to some people but his work speaks for itself. Paul Booth is the most ignorant Tattooist ive ever met (Hes prob the most famouse tattooist on the world at the moment) but his work is truly amazing and speaks for itself.

Im not slatin any shops here all im sayin is that choose for yourself and follow these simple guide lines and you should get exactly wat you want.

My rant is over but I hope this helps people decide on a tattoist and they get exactly wat they want.

P.S heres a link to The Vibes REAL portfolio oh and look alot of it is custom work :cool:

www.thevibetattoos.com

• Advertisement

Thanks mate, I'm due for my first tattoo in the Outback on Friday but I'm pulling out now, I didn't get a good feeling the minute I walked into the place and if Glen is that English guy then I don't fancy letting him near me to be honest. I've Friday off so I think I'll take my business to the Vibe, ringing them this afternoon for a booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Thanks mate, I'm due for my first tattoo in the Outback on Friday but I'm pulling out now, I didn't get a good feeling the minute I walked into the place and if Glen is that English guy then I don't fancy letting him near me to be honest. I've Friday off so I think I'll take my business to the Vibe, ringing them this afternoon for a booking.

Good man. I too give a A++ to the Vibe.
    I agree with dragona, don't go by what you hear. The outback is a filthy nastly place. The guys in the Vibe are nice, smart, know what they are on about and its medical grade clean

Honestly I don't know what Outback is still open (v.v)

Got my first done in the Vibe yesterday, have to say very impressed, very friendly and Sean certainly has talent. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Not painful at all, just a bit boring staring at the wall for two hours. Today it's been fine, hardly any pain at all, the sunburn analogy is bang on. Roll on number 2.

Update - Pics posted on my blog, just click the link in my signature

looks good dude....look even better when its fully healed:D i suggest a full music lower leg slieve perhaps? instead of gettin one on the other leg itd look cool if it was all on the same leg as a music themed tattoo....seen it befor and it always looks good and on the plus side it leaves the other leg for somthing else that means somthin too you. Just a thought but it is your leg :cool:

Thanks for the idea, I've about 5 more in mind now that I know that it doesn't really hurt lol. Has healed perfectly so far, just keep it clean and keep the nappy rash cream handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

Just wanted to post to say Sean in the Vibe is excellent. Myself and 5 friends have all had tattoos with him in the last year and no problems. Very hygenic and great aftercare. If you're thinking of something custom I'd recommend talking to him. 2 friends designed their own tattoos and he did an excellent job of drawing them up.

dragona wrote: »
    Erm, since when do the Vibe only do flash????? I am having some artwork drawn up for a custom tattoo on my shoulder. I have had a custom tattoo already, nothing off the wall. Sounds like nonsense to me.

since i was told by them myself when i enquired, I dunno, maybe he was having a bad day or something, but he was very arrogant towards me, he didn't want to discuss the designs I had in mind when I didn't want anything specific out of his portfolio

(the design was an elaberation on one of his designs)

so i duly went back to the Glen in the Outback who was quite happy to discuss and do it for me

Total opposite of my experience but there u go, I found outback to be very grotty and Glen to be arrogant. One thing u couldn't argue with is that the Vibe is spotlessly clean which I think is very important when dealing with body modification. Outback looks like a room in someone's flat.

Total opposite of my experience but there u go, I found outback to be very grotty and Glen to be arrogant. One thing u couldn't argue with is that the Vibe is spotlessly clean which I think is very important when dealing with body modification. Outback looks like a room in someone's flat.

tis all down to peoples preferances i suppose!:D I'm glad it worked out for you though, and yes VIBE is clean, theres no denying that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pigsinspace

Have had work done on me by Glen in Outback for the last 4 years and not only was the work top class but hygien was also very good and unlike most of these other places, Glen happens to be a real artist and does not write up on these boards himself unlike what i have seen here.........

• Advertisement

Have had work done on me by Glen in Outback for the last 4 years and not only was the work top class but hygien was also very good and unlike most of these other places, Glen happens to be a real artist and does not write up on these boards himself unlike what i have seen here.........

Maybe you could elaborate on your allegation? Having seen Glen's work on friends I wouldn't let him draw me a picture to be honest. Come of it on the hygiene, he tattoos people in the waiting room for fks sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Got a great tattoo in Vibe. Very neat and nothing was a problem. He is very hygenic and was a medic in the S.A. Army. So what I hear you say but he has the full knowlage on hygine etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kopfan09

Having work done at the moment by Sean Boon in the Vibe and there is no comparison between the Vibe and the Outback.Sean Boon is excellant and so is the studio he works from.Have had tattoos done in tattoo studios in both Dublin and Kerry and the Vibe is by far the best.Sean (tattooist) Sean(pierceing) and Ciara(owner) are very pleasent,helpful and professional surely if this was not the case they would not have shops in both Sligo and now Letterkenny their name go before them and I would recommend them to anyone who is thinking of getting a tattoo or pierceing.The Vibe is the place to go.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Which parlour is the one with the austrailian tattooist? Was going to get one done there that i designed myself and he had no problems. He seemed dead sound. The lady at the counter looked pissed off but was nice. Got it done in dublin after as i moved there for a while.

I don't know about Australian, maybe you're confusing Sean Boon's South African accent? He has a Bebo page so check it out and see if it's him.

Agreed on everything positive about the Vibe, you'll all notice that our pigsinspace poster hasn't come back to back up his argument with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kopfan09

Hi Dusty the guy you were talking to is Sean Boon an excellant tattooist.The vibe is also an excellant set up .

I would like to clear up that Sean Boon has never posted here(piginspace).......I am Shaun The Vibe's piercer. If you'll notice I didnt take sides with any shop including The Vibe I only stated what you should look for when going into ANY shop. This is some very good advice and everyone should take it in when looking for a tattoo. No matter where you go we all want you to be happy with your tattoo and if you have common sense and know what to look for you won't be dissapointed.

Laters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FrillylillyxXx

i got my tattoo in the Vibe and hopefully thats were i will get my new one also!! what appealed to me about the vibe is the room looks very sterile unlike the grungy outback,even though outback may be cheaper, would you really risk your health for the sake of a few tenners?!! after all you pay for top quality!!the tattooist is great, he makes you feel totally relaxed!!

also, the piercer in the vibe is the sex!!:)

good to hear your happy and ya got what you wanted. ha ha cheers, addy excepted :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 roadrash666

hi there just in case there is any doubt.

i have 3 tatts and am gettin me 4th very soon hopefully.
    1 in the vibe an 2 in outback with glen now dead honest outback is ok but the vibes results speak for themselves. glen always uses new needles and no complaints but just for the quality of the image vibe wins.

the only problem i have with the vibe is the price especially for big pieces anyone know if they do discount or reduced rate want to get my entire back done but think i will need to remortgage the house.

thanks all

Advertisement