Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Primera Timing Chain

• 13-01-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hello Folks

Any advice or pointers please ?

I have a 2004 Nissan Primera , 63000 miles on the clock

Engine warning light came on, brought it to my local mechanic

He tells me i need a new timing chain and kit

Cost approx 600-700 euro including labour to do the job

He is going to get me a price from the Nissan Garage for the chain and kit .

Anyone know roughly the cost of the stuff needed and he said if i can get it up North cheaper to go and buy it and he will fit it no problem for me.

Anyone any thoughts or recommendations on the job or buying it up north ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Prices are dear even in the UK they would cost over €200. You will also have to buy oil and a filter, lets say €40. There is quick a bit of work involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Plug wrote: »
    Prices are dear even in the UK they would cost over €200. You will also have to buy oil and a filter, lets say €40. There is quick a bit of work involved.

Thanks for the reply and information

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

are you sure its the chain ? the chains dont tend to damage its the tensioners that go, id get a 2nd opinion on that

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is'nt a timing chain supposed to last the lifetime of the engine? Not sure what Nissan's warranty is on their timing chains but I'd be making enquires from them as to why it needs replacing after only 63k miles.

are you sure its the chain ? the chains dont tend to damage its the tensioners that go, id get a 2nd opinion on that

The mechanic told me the chain is stretched and needs to be replaced and the rest of the kit goes with it.

When the engine warning light came on , he diagnosed it on his machine as " crack shaft sensor " , he checked that, it was fine.
    His mate works in the local nissan garage and told him common problem

I reckon my mechanic is playing fair with me, he has always been decent to me in the past.

Bite the bullet i suppose, just what i need in mid january , to shell out a fortune

Thanks

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is'nt a timing chain supposed to last the lifetime of the engine? Not sure what Nissan's warranty is on their timing chains but I'd be making enquires from them as to why it needs replacing after only 63k miles.
    These are notorious for stretching, they are actually made by renualt the chains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

andrew1977 wrote: »
    The mechanic told me the chain is stretched and needs to be replaced and the rest of the kit goes with it.

When the engine warning light came on , he diagnosed it on his machine as " crack shaft sensor " , he checked that, it was fine.

I reckon my mechanic is playing fair with me, he has always been decent to me in the past.

Bite the bullet i suppose, just what i need in mid january , to shell out a fortune

Thanks

Its a common issue on the petrol almeras and primeras. There was a service bulletin (recall) on them but i dont know if it applys to your car. Ask your mechanic to ask them in the Nissan garage.

Its not too bad of a job and the parts i think come to around €150+vat which includes new chain, guides and tensioner. Then throw in whatever it costs to change an oil and filter

Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

These are notorious for stretching, they are actually made by renualt the chains.

Dont mention the "R" word :D:D:D

Healyc wrote: »
    Dont mention the "R" word :D:D:D
    Recession!!!
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

explains it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Thanks

Very common problem on Micra / Almera / Primera. Chain stretches a little so that the signal from the camshaft sensor is a little out of time, and is flagged as a sensor fault, but as in your case the sensor itself would be fine. Check with Nissan what needs to be changed other than the chain - sometimes you need to change the guidesand tensioners, sometimes not. At least on the Primera and Almera they can be done with the engine in place - had to do one on a 03 newer shape Micra before Christmas and the engine had to come out, and to do that the front bumper, headlamps and front panel all have to come off. 2 days work.

Thanks a lot guys for all the opinions, appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Hello Folks

Any advice or pointers please ?

I have a 2004 Nissan Primera , 63000 miles on the clock

Engine warning light came on, brought it to my local mechanic

He tells me i need a new timing chain and kit

Cost approx 600-700 euro including labour to do the job

He is going to get me a price from the Nissan Garage for the chain and kit .

Anyone know roughly the cost of the stuff needed and he said if i can get it up North cheaper to go and buy it and he will fit it no problem for me.

Anyone any thoughts or recommendations on the job or buying it up north ?

Thanks

What happens here OP is the tensioner wears down and the chain also wears, and the synchronization between the crankshaft and camshaft rotation becomes a little fuzzy due to slackness in the chain, which causes the camshaft position sensor to be very slightly delayed, and the ECU picks this up and turns the engine fault light on. Eventually you will find that the engine performance will reflect the less accurate timing of the engine as the tensioner & chain assembly wears down further and timing ultimately is thrown out of whack.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    What happens here OP is the tensioner wears down and the chain also wears, and the synchronization between the crankshaft and camshaft rotation becomes a little fuzzy due to slackness in the chain, which causes the camshaft position sensor to be very slightly delayed, and the ECU picks this up and turns the engine fault light on. Eventually you will find that the engine performance will reflect the less accurate timing of the engine as the tensioner & chain assembly wears down further and timing ultimately is thrown out of whack.

Good info there, thank you .. and the price i am being quoted seems fair in your opinion ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Good info there, thank you .. and the price i am being quoted seems fair in your opinion ?

Yeah, anything under 1K and you're getting away lightly! I didn't realise someone already gave you the background info regarding this problem above...

A lot of the time, mechanics who are not aware of this problem think the problem is the crankshaft or camshaft sensor, as when you view the fault codes, this is what is being flagged as the problem, I think the error is sensor signal out of range or unexpected signal or something to that effect, I've seen a few lads changing the sensor or both sensors but the problem obviously continues...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 nz039926

My Nissan Almera (2003) was a bit jerky when I first start the engine in the last couple of days and didn't think much to it.
    Yesterday, I was overtaking and then all the sudden the engine stopped, and there was no power for few mintues, Couldn't even switch the indicators on.
    This morning when I started the car, the engine warning light came on and after few mintues of driving the engine stopped and there was no power for a
    couple of mintues again.
    Does anybody know what's wrong? and how much it'd cost to fix. It's the last thing I need as I'm struggling financially.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Super Drogs

nz039926 wrote: »
    My Nissan Almera (2003) was a bit jerky when I first start the engine in the last couple of days and didn't think much to it.
    Yesterday, I was overtaking and then all the sudden the engine stopped, and there was no power for few mintues, Couldn't even switch the indicators on.
    This morning when I started the car, the engine warning light came on and after few mintues of driving the engine stopped and there was no power for a
    couple of mintues again.
    Does anybody know what's wrong? and how much it'd cost to fix. It's the last thing I need as I'm struggling financially.
    Thank you.

Hi, my 04 Almera started acting up like yours last week. Engine Warning Light is on. It struggles to start, the revs jump around for a while and it can cut out if I don't give it a good rev. It never cut out while driving though, but if I'm in second or 3rd gear it could start shuddering and feel like it's losing power.
    Anyway I'm just back from the garage, and it's been diagnosed that the chain is stretched and I need a new one. :(

The bad news is that it's going to cost me 400 Euro. But I've seen prices on this thread and others of 600-700 euro! That seems extremely excessive! The mechanic that I go to was a head Nissan mechanic, who now has his own business. So he knows what he's up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hi, my 04 Almera started acting up like yours last week. Engine Warning Light is on. It struggles to start, the revs jump around for a while and it can cut out if I don't give it a good rev. It never cut out while driving though, but if I'm in second or 3rd gear it could start shuddering and feel like it's losing power.
    Anyway I'm just back from the garage, and it's been diagnosed that the chain is stretched and I need a new one. :(

The bad news is that it's going to cost me 400 Euro. But I've seen prices on this thread and others of 600-700 euro! That seems extremely excessive! The mechanic that I go to was a head Nissan mechanic, who now has his own business. So he knows what he's up to.
    Please read the charter and don't bump old threads. Start a new one instead if you like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement