Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Been interested in checking out Chucks book myself, but i've such a backlog of them to get through, it's not even funny! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

Chuck's is really entertaining start to finish, if you have a day or two with not much on. When i went to Barcelona it provided much better flight reading material than the crappy Easy Jet magazine.....

Anyone read any of the Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame series by Greg Oliver and Steve Johnson? Fantastic stuff.

When i went to Barcelona it provided much better flight reading material than the crappy Easy Jet magazine.....

At the risk of going off topic, but trying to read the writing on a soggy beer mat would be more entertaining than that Easyjet magazine!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Being charismatic has bugger all to do with, but you've hit the outspoken bit on the head, and the more outspoken they are, the better the interview. Especially if they're bitter about certain people. :D

One of the best parts of the book, and to the same extent, the DVD is how heyman is talking about WCW raiding his talent, which cuts to bishoff giving somewhat of a history lesson to what happened, why it happened and how he was in the right.
    Cuts back then to heyman and his words are "Eric Bishoff is full of shít!"

I loved that bit. And what coincides in the book also reflects that time, with Paul going into a little more detail from his point of view.

I guess you'd be right about the bitter thing, anything that touches a nerve makes for good reading about it.

I guess you'd be right about the bitter thing, anything that touches a nerve makes for good reading about it.

Or in an interview for that matter. On that ECW DVD where Heyman shoots on TNN, if you could imagine him being that bitter for 3-4 hours. That would be gold for an interview. And believe me, i've seen interviews like that. They are f*cking pricless.

Heyman's impersonation of Austin is pretty funny too.

I may pick up the book if i find it chucked in a bargain bin somewhere ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=37309&p=1
    World Wrestling Entertainment has canceled the planned release of an autobiography on former WWF champion The Iron Sheik, which was set to be written by Keith Elliot Greenberg, who worked on the Fred Blassie and Superstar Graham books. From what I understand, it was a WWE decision that was made after an initial treatment was submitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

^^^ Dynamite's is the one book that i've really wanted to read for a long time, and just not got round to it. Hafta be checking that out soon.

I honestly have been interested in that many wrestlng books of late- i was very disappointed by DiBiase's. I'm waiting on Andre's arriving atm though- that should make for an interesting read.
    Lately i've been picking up a few mma titles instead though- Jens Pulver's Little Evil, and Chuck Liddell's autobiograph were both great reads.
    Dynamite's book is really good. I steered clear of DiBiase's after multiple bad reports.

Next ones I wanna have a look at are Meltzer's Tributes and theres one about the history of Stampede Wrestling that I've heard great things about.

Oh and Jericho's is a riot to read, really entertaining and quite detailed on his times in japan and Mexico (which is something I dislike about the WWE produced books, they tend to concentrate in time in WWE and skip over time sin wrestler's career sthat I personally would find fascinating).

Both Meltzer's tributes, and the Stampede book are excellent, particularly the latter, it's bloody fantastic. Definitely one of the more informative books out there, even though it covers a huge time frame.

Yeah totally agree on the Jericho book- i really enjoyed the Stories of working in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I am very slowly reading Dynamites at the moment. It is a decent read, but horrifically poorly written. Loads of grammar errors which just do my head in.

gimmick wrote: »
    I am very slowly reading Dynamites at the moment. It is a decent read, but horrifically poorly written. Loads of grammar errors which just do my head in.

Hahah, i was able to put up with it because just before i started to read it, i tried reading Christy Dignam's abortion of a book. Anything is readable after trying to read that. It's written in Finglas, as opposed to written in English. Now i grew up there myself, and have nothing against the place, but jesus christ, the Finglas language does not translate to books at all.

So Dynamite's book was a breath of fresh air by comparison.

• Advertisement

Decided to move my response here, makes more sense.
    DRakE wrote: »
    Mick is so fat these days :( I've really gone off him since that book, hardcore diaries.. so bitter :(

Actually haven't read it, or been inspired to get it.
    How come it's so bitter, out of curiosity? People have said Dynamite Kid's book was bitter and I managed to enjoy that one.

How was it bitter?

How was it bitter?

Dynamites?
    Guy was his own worst enemy, spent all his money that he made in WWE on his habits and was left broke by the time 1992 came along. He basically hated everyone and blame everyone for it.

That said, the book is still an interesting read.

From reading Mick's Hardcore Diaries twice i didn't really get the idea of him being bitter throughout, sure there was a few points where he said he wasn't happy with the creative dept but the rest of the book was pretty honest and good hearted i thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Got to say that Hardcore Diaries is utter tripe. Made a few attempts to get into it, but its just no good. Very self obsessed as well, in that he onlty talks of his ideas as great, and cannot undertand why they are shot down, when in reality, they are pretty poor ideas.

Got to say that Hardcore Diaries is utter tripe. Made a few attempts to get into it, but its just no good. Very self obsessed as well, in that he onlty talks of his ideas as great, and cannot undertand why they are shot down, when in reality, they are pretty poor ideas.

I agree. some of it was pretty entertainment, but on the whole it was pretty infuriating. I think you're right as well when it comes to his twisted sense of self-worth especially in regards to his ideas. His estimation of how valuable Terry Funk would have been in drawing PPV's at the time is ridiculous too. But then again, this is the guy who thought Vince would go for an Exploding ring match in Texas via satellite for Wrestlemania...

Still, loved his first two books....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Very self obsessed as well, in that he onlty talks of his ideas as great, and cannot undertand why they are shot down, when in reality, they are pretty poor ideas.

Don't most people think their own ideas are great and can't understand when people tell them otherwise, why would Foley be any different?

His shoot interview with ROH video from around 04/05 is very much like that too. I knocked it off after about 30 minutes and never attempted to watch it again. Truly awful stuff.

Foley really has pissed all over his status in years. It's kinda sad because his initial retirement in 2000 was a pretty big deal at the time it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

The ideas he spouts on about in that book are utter ****e..

to be honest, i really liked mick foley before reading that book! some of the stuff is quite good, the chapter about(afghanistan?) was quite interesting...but ultimately he comes across as pretty pathetic in my opinion.

BUMP!
    For the sake of those wanting to know if Bret's book is any use. There's loads of info here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Just got Bret's book today, and I can't wait to start reading it tonight. Ive only read 2 wrestling books before - Mick Foley's first book (still probably the most entertaining book Ive ever read) and The Rocks book, which was okay. Gonna head back into town to get Jericho's book tomorrow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lynnsback

Anyone read Dungeon of Death: Chris Benoit and the Hart Family Curse?

Is Shawn Michael's book any good? What about Ring of Hell?

lynnsback wrote: »

No, but i'd be very interested in doing so. Read all of Scott Keith's other books to date. Interesting reads, even if it is a load of Meltzer articles with his own spin on them. Definitely net on my list.

Oh rovert, where are you when i need you on this one? lol!
    A couple of the guys here read Ring Of Hell, not gotten to it yet.

Michael's book is a good read though, despite Bret refering to it as "Liar Inc". He's no saint, but if you watched and enjoyed the DVD, you'll enjoy it, as it's essentially a condensed version of the book.

What DVD? A HBK DVD?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Shawns book is good. I couldn't wait to finish it when i started it. My girlfriend even enjoyed it and she wouldn't know shawn from micheal.

What DVD? A HBK DVD?

Welcome to the new millennium Lynn, he has two of them, From The Vault and Heartbreak and Triumph.

Buuuut you might wanna resurrect the wrestling DVD thread for discussion on those. ;)

Nah the books will be enough for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭d6

i have to say bret harts book was pure quality couldnt recommend it enough, few books will ever rival it. I read ric flairs straight after and was disapointed not that it was poor but after reading the detail and emotion in harts book it didnt live up imo.

There is few books that i will look forward to reading, the wrestler that had to travel the territories who havent told there story are drying up I for one will not be reading about a wrestler who spent a few years in ovw and got an immediate push in the big time. I dont watch the product anymore but i do go back and remanisce when even the undercard produced quality matches and generated interest among the average fan.

d6 wrote: »
    i have to say bret harts book was pure quality couldnt recommend it enough, few books will ever rival it. I read ric flairs straight after and was disapointed not that it was poor but after reading the detail and emotion in harts book it didnt live up imo.

Flair's one was watered down though. WWE had a hand in publishing that one, whereas Bret got his done independently, so he can dish out a lot more dirt and speak more frankly than others could
    I dont watch the product anymore but i do go back and remanisce when even the undercard produced quality matches and generated interest among the average fan.

You should check out the wrestling nostalgia thread then. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

Best ones I've read are:

Chris Jericho (hilarious only downside is it only covers up to 1999)
    Eric Bischoffs (Great read - very insightful - defo recommend it)
    Ric Flairs (How could this not be good considering his career)
    Broken Harts (very good - owen would have been proud of his mrs)

The Worst ones are:

The rocks, hulk hogans, stone cold

HHH and Undertakers are out in October - dead mans should be great

Advertisement