Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

make a doner kebab at home?

• 06-04-2006 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hey.

How best would one go about making a doner kebab at home?

What kinda meat would you use? I mean, is it possible to get strips of lamb fillet or something similar?

How about sauce?
    I love kebabs but dont know what sauce is used. I was thinking maybe a mix of thousand islands and bbq sauce?

And what salad typically goes into a good kebab? Ive eaten hundreds and never really noticed.

Lettuce?

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Surely it'd be too dangerous to cook at home when you're that drunk?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

womoma wrote:
    What kinda meat would you use? I mean, is it possible to get strips of lamb fillet or something similar?
    I don't want to disillusion you or anything, but expensive lamb fillet is highly unlikely to find it's way into doner kebab meat.

I saw a program on the telly a while ago where they showed a kebab 'factory' in the UK, and as far as I can remember it's made mainly from breast meat, something you don't see very often in the shops these days, but used to be readily available as a cheap cut for rolling and stuffing.

Alun wrote:
    I don't want to disillusion you or anything, but expensive lamb fillet is highly unlikely to find it's way into doner kebab meat.

I saw a program on the telly a while ago where they showed a kebab 'factory' in the UK, and as far as I can remember it's made mainly from breast meat, something you don't see very often in the shops these days, but used to be readily available as a cheap cut for rolling and stuffing.

The one I saw mentioned mainly offal and head meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Blub2k4 wrote:
    The one I saw mentioned mainly offal and head meat.
    Hmmm, I seem to remember the one I saw (think they were in the West Midlands in the UK somewhere) were trying to portray themselves as a 'high class' supplier, so maybe they only supply meat to kebab houses that serve kebabs to sober people during the hours of daylight ;) I wouldn't think they're would be much head meat in a sheep/lamb, unlike pigs or cattle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Smoggy

when a mate told me that they get the whole doner spit for about £8, I cant even eat it now when drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

They showed how kebabs were made on Channel 4s The F-Word. Semmingly it is all good cuts of meat from places like the shoulder, neck, head of the lamb that are used (i.e. The not so popular pieces of the lamb which people buy in a store)

Apparently there is more meat in a kebab than a sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

They showed how kebabs were made on Channel 4s The F-Word. Semmingly it is all good cuts of meat from places like the shoulder, neck, head of the lamb that are used (i.e. The not so popular pieces of the lamb which people buy in a store)

Apparently there is more meat in a kebab than a sausage

Its a variety of processed meat, come on have you looked at a spit on in a kebab shop and thought "thats the kind of cut of meat I recognise?"
    Blub2k4 wrote:
    Surely it'd be too dangerous to cook at home when you're that drunk??
    Does remind me of the time that a mate tried to melt a mars bar to make a mars bar vodka shot, like the one she'd just had in that place that used to be beneath the pod, and burnt her kitchen down.....

I was watching it on the show "you are what you eat", mind you she does it from a different tack where she is trying to put people off their food, so it may be the agenda.

No one honestly believes that the preformed spits that are made of mechanically reconstituted meat started with good cuts of meat, do they?

If it is a doner then the chances are that it is similar to a chicken nugget, i.e. lips, ears and all :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I was watching it on the show "you are what you eat", mind you she does it from a different tack where she is trying to put people off their food, so it may be the agenda.

God have you read the guardian's science columnists rants about her? He has shredded every "degree" and "PHD" she claims she has (the majority from US stick fifty dollars in an envelope and viola instant degree) and he's the "science" she claims behind her examination of poo........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

Blub2k4 wrote:
    No one honestly believes that the preformed spits that are made of mechanically reconstituted meat started with good cuts of meat, do they?

The meat might not be the best (i.e. most tender) cuts of meat, but that does not mean that they are bad for you. Its all the other crap they add to it is what makes it bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I saw episode of the F-word as well. It basically was pieces of meat that wouldn't be too popular, but nonetheless was perfectly fine meat. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was the best meat ever, but it is meat.

Also take into account that lamb is a very fatty meat at the best of times.

I'd say to try to make it at home would be a tall order - but you could probably do a good approximation. Obviously pita bread is easy enough. I think you need a garlic type sauce and a tomato based sauce - perhaps something like a caesar dressing and some seasoned passata. Lettuce and a little finely chopped onion. For the meat, I would probably go with minced lamb, seasoned with cumin i think - cooked in pattys then chopped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Saw a program doing proper ones. It was very fatty lamb (not offal or head but a semi decent cut, cant remember the name), all soaked in onion juice. Then layered up on the spit.

I just fry mince lamb or beef. I separate the mince up well and fry a little at a time well spaced out at very high heat, so you get lots of crispy "mini-steaks", then fry onions. then I mix in chilli powder, garlic, grated cheese and sin of sins, ketchup. iceberg lettuce lines the pitta so it doesnt get soggy. nothing authentic but really nice.

rubadub wrote:
    Saw a program doing proper ones. It was very fatty lamb (not offal or head but a semi decent cut, cant remember the name), all soaked in onion juice. Then layered up on the spit.

I just fry mince lamb or beef. I separate the mince up well and fry a little at a time well spaced out at very high heat, so you get lots of crispy "mini-steaks", then fry onions. then I mix in chilli powder, garlic, grated cheese and sin of sins, ketchup. iceberg lettuce lines the pitta so it doesnt get soggy. nothing authentic but really nice.

Most kebabs are not of the layered type, the most common one is the mechanically reclaimed and pressed meats, you know the one that is a big meatball on a stick?
    The kebabs that are layered are fine, at least the cuts are identifiable as meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yep most crappy kebab places like abras are the minced genitals and feet. I know abras stuff arrives in a big bucket. I think the onion juice is important, it was listed on every site when I looked a few years back. Never saw it in any shops here, including asian ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭havana

Got this from a friend of mine in the UK- I think there Kebabs are a bit more minty than ours here but it is really really good served with pitta, salad and sauces. (Our chipper sells tubs of the sauces they use in the kebabs and it makes it even better)

DONER SPICED MEATLOAF

Ingredients;
    1 lb minced lamb
    3 tsp dried mint
    2 tsp cumin powder
    1 tsp mint sauce OR 1 tbs chopped fresh mint
    1 tsp garlic granules OR 1-2 cloves crushed garlic
    1 tsp onion salt OR ½ a small onion minced
    ½ tsp sea salt
    Generous grind of black pepper

Oven Temp: Moderately hot / 375F / 190 / Gas 5

Method;
    Put everything in a food processor if you want it ground finely for a smoother texture or just mix it all very well by hand. If you don’t have a processor get the butcher to mince the meat twice or just knead the meat mixture with your hands until the texture smoothes out.

Form into a rough loaf shape and place onto a rack stood in a baking pan. If the lamb is really lean you don’t need to do this. Bake in the middle of the oven for about an hour. It is quite a dense loaf so it must cook all the way thorough. I sometimes cook it in a loaf tin or shape into burgers and grill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

aldi, of all places, or is it lidl, one or the other, i think its lidl, on Parnell street, they now sell kebab meat, with sauce and all that. add your own salad and bread kinda job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

This recipe is good and quite easy to make:
    http://www.recipezaar.com/159759
    I just stuff the skewer into a pitta and put some mint and yoghurt on top and a little shredded lettuce.
    I also slice mild onions and mix olive oil and parsley and put them in plus a little finely grated carrot.
    I am now getting hungry....

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

aldi, of all places, or is it lidl, one or the other, i think its lidl, on Parnell street, they now sell kebab meat, with sauce and all that. add your own salad and bread kinda job.

It be Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

was reading an interview with Emo philips, he loved doner kebabs but his boby always rejected them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I do a chicken gyros type of kebab. Grab a couple of chicken fillets, lay on clingfilm, cover with another layer of clingfilm, flatten with something heavy then marinate in a bowl with cumin, garlic, cayenne, oregano, lemon and olive oil. Quickly grill on high heat, BBQ or grill pan, then cut into slices. Serve with toasted pitta bread, tzatziki, tomato and onion salad sprinnkled with lemon, parsley nad coriander.

This is really good when it's cooked properly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement