Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrestling DVDs Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭ Coen Uneven Stopwatch

Hey guys, thanks for all your help. I've settled on The Best of In Your House as it looks great (I had planned on buying it around the time it came out) and only costs £8.88 (€12.34) Maggle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Hey guys, thanks for all your help. I've settled on The Best of In Your House as it looks great (I had planned on buying it around the time it came out) and only costs £8.88 (€12.34) Maggle!

There's some very good Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels matches on that one. It also has the Final Four matches which is an underrated gem.

Where did you get it for £8.88?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭ Coen Uneven Stopwatch

WWEDVD.co.uk having a bluray sale

http://www.wwedvd.co.uk/monday-sale-c-266.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I can't bring myself to buy anything from that when I know I can find most of it on the Network.

• Advertisement

There's no Mid-South wrestling on the network. There was some for "black history month" but it was taken down. There's probably more on youtube though

I got that compilation when it came out at the end of 2013. It's pretty good. It'll be up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Ageyev wrote: »
    There's no Mid-South wrestling on the network. There was some for "black history month" but it was taken down. There's probably more on youtube though

Starting to give up hope it will ever be properly uploaded.

I was starting to give up hope we'd ever get the WWE Network. It will go up there someday.

Reebrock wrote: »
    Starting to give up hope it will ever be properly uploaded.

I'm not sure who is in charge of production of the Network these days but they're obviously on a buzz atm of these new content shows like Springer, Swerved AMD whatever else the others are called.

If they get a survey results back suggesting a strong demand for older content or the possibility of new subs then they'll add more pre-WCW stuff. Doubt it though as non-ECW/WWF/WCW content hasn't been a priority since day one. For comparison Netflix too focuses on more contemporary content rather than older titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭zenarcadian

Anyone else have a serious issue with the new DVD company? Int'l postage, no Irish retail presence, zero back catalogue, and horrible customer service. Not to mention those prices at a time when we have the Network. Horrible.

Anyone else have a serious issue with the new DVD company? Int'l postage, no Irish retail presence, zero back catalogue, and horrible customer service. Not to mention those prices at a time when we have the Network. Horrible.

Yep. I've only placed one order. The extra postage cost was tough to swallow, their "on sale" prices are still higher than what SV was offering and I'm not sure what the deal with retail here, I think I've seen one or two DVDs in shops but because HMV is gone and uses Xtravision supplier they never carried wrestling titles.

Only reason to buy them now is for the extras that don't get put on the network as well as old promos.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭esprimo

To be honest I've had all positive experiences with wwe dvd uk. Their website is easy & modern, their social media presence is very good, loads of competitions & fun bits. They always get back pretty fast through social media/email with any issues I've had anyway.

Admittedly the extra postage to Europe is annoying but a couple of euro for post isn't the end of the world especially if you're getting a handful of titles.

I've seen a few of their dvds over time in shops but in fairness why would anyone care? Its easier & cheaper to get it online.

Their back catalogue seems to go back about 5 years & why would they go any further? Producing dvds from over 5 years ago is not going to make any sense cost and demand wise. Not to mention the market is flooded with second hand dvds from years gone by.

With regard to their prices, yes they are quite expensive brand new. But they have to make money some way! They cant be selling titles for half nothing from the get go. Plus if you simply get the ones you want in their sales, it works out very reasonable. For example yesterdays had recent blu-rays going for about 15 pounds versus 23 pounds normal price/ 35 r.r.p. Lets remember Silvervision had the license for years and were selling dvds at a time when demand was very high.

esprimo wrote: »
    To be honest I've had all positive experiences with wwe dvd uk. Their website is easy & modern, their social media presence is very good, loads of competitions & fun bits. They always get back pretty fast through social media/email with any issues I've had anyway.

Admittedly the extra postage to Europe is annoying but a couple of euro for post isn't the end of the world especially if you're getting a handful of titles.

I've seen a few of their dvds over time in shops but in fairness why would anyone care? Its easier & cheaper to get it online.

Their back catalogue seems to go back about 5 years & why would they go any further? Producing dvds from over 5 years ago is not going to make any sense cost and demand wise. Not to mention the market is flooded with second hand dvds from years gone by.

With regard to their prices, yes they are quite expensive brand new. But they have to make money some way! They cant be selling titles for half nothing from the get go. Plus if you simply get the ones you want in their sales, it works out very reasonable. For example yesterdays had recent blu-rays going for about 15 pounds versus 23 pounds normal price/ 35 r.r.p. Lets remember Silvervision had the license for years and were selling dvds at a time when demand was very high.

Nothing but generic responses I've received so far.

Very annoying and unnecessary when SilverVision was still doing free postage on TNA/UFC titles after.

I care, obviously. Some of us still want the experience of a place to go, people that know their **** and to keep jobs local.

They could make money by pressing loads at mid-price, actually distributing their stuff to shops, conventions and shows, and using the rest for sell-through. How much money are they missing not repressing old one-diskers for the Dealz/Poundland impulse market, for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭esprimo

Nothing but generic responses I've received so far.

Very annoying and unnecessary when SilverVision was still doing free postage on TNA/UFC titles after.

I care, obviously. Some of us still want the experience of a place to go, people that know their **** and to keep jobs local.

They could make money by pressing loads at mid-price, actually distributing their stuff to shops, conventions and shows, and using the rest for sell-through. How much money are they missing not repressing old one-diskers for the Dealz/Poundland impulse market, for example?

Ya you will get generic responses through their social platforms as I believe its managed by different people that have the real answers which is the team behind the info at wwe dvd email address.

The thing with postage is, as you know, not every online company does "free delivery". While a great incentive/marketing tactic with Silvervision, its unreasonable to just expect the company that takes over to have the exact same business model and strategy. They probably have different costs and distribution agreements. In saying that I would like them to do say, free delivery to Ireland on orders of 30 pounds or more for example.

Contrary to what I said before, I absolutely love finding & buying dvds in real shops locally. But the reality at least with newer titles is that the only place to buy them is online, in Ireland. There's probably not enough of us to justify getting these dvds on the shelves. As for the one-diskers, in dealz etc, I imagine if there was actually money to be made we would see them there. In any event, I don't think any of the titles they have on sale at present are in that price range just yet! Not to mention that pretty much all of the titles from more than five years ago are out of print in the US and Europe, meaning they couldn't re-produce them even if they wanted to. I would love to see random older ppvs in dealz though!

Bit of a begging email from Freemantle today

sr3D0hP

Ageyev wrote: »
    Bit of a begging email from Freemantle today

sr3D0hP

Didn't get it, what did it say?

Didn't get it, what did it say?
    It was just that graphic that I posted with the subject line "WWEDVD wants you back". It's not unusual for online shop sites to send such emails but it's a bit unusual for something as specific as wrestling DVDs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

An on the money review. Surprised at the amount of criticism allowed and interviewing curtain call fancam-ers.

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/630075918837514240

Very much recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Owen Hart's long awaited DVD - "Owen - Hart of Gold" is now available for pre- order on Amazon, releasing on December 7th

The Doc included is rumoured to be 2 hrs length.

Last DVD I bought was CM Punk's - I reckon this will be a must buy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

This is done still without the blessing of Martha, right?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

jaykhunter wrote: »

Yep. But Apparently Bret has done a lot of work for the doc and is a big supporter of the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

jaykhunter wrote: »

She put out a statement a few months ago about the DVD and you can read it here http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/577787-owen-harts-widow-issues-statement-on-upcoming-wwe-dvd-says-she-is-not-supporting-the-project

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm all for honouring Owen but its quite soured that his widow hasn't given her blessing. I'd want this with a Hall of Fame induction and this will further distance any collaboration with Martha. Maybe it's like the macho deal where we'll just get another Owen docu when he does go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

haven't bough a dvd from them in a while but mnw shot's fired volume 2 interests me because of bischoff. He really doesn't have a huge amount to lose so may be an interesting contributor and from the network preview looks like he'll be honest, well as honest as him heyman or vince ever are about that era,

Is all of that going to be on the Network eventually though? I didn't realise there was more. I ordered The Dungeon Collection and Hart Of Gold online yesterday, hope it's good now.

Is all of that going to be on the Network eventually though? I didn't realise there was more. I ordered The Dungeon Collection and Hart Of Gold online yesterday, hope it's good now.

They've put a few of the post-Network DVDs in the "Beyond the Ring" Network section but it's only the main portion of these DVDs like Paul Heyman's. I'd imagine itll show up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

the episodes will probably show but i think bischoff's contribution is dvd only similar to what hhh and sting did for vol 1, their contribution isn't on the network outside of a 15 minute teaser

Yeah, they only showed a 20minute teaser of the first Monday Night War DVD.

The narrative of Vince vs Billionaire Ted and Vince won because Ted didnt push the cruiserweights is not going to change. Love The Rock cover on the new one though.

• Advertisement

Sure a lot of that show was just stuff that we've seen a thousand times before. I found it hard to differentiate it from The Attitude Era one that was released in 2013 when I saw a few episodes on the Network. Today was the first time I ordered a DVD in probably 2 years.

Advertisement