Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hosting necessary?

• 11-06-2010 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Am setting up a business. For the moment, all I need is a business email address. The business doesn't require a website, but I'll look into that later if things start going well.

Anyway, all I want is an email, say, gavney@ABC.com

I've looked on www.networksolutions.com, and it charges me for 1. the domain (small fee) and 2. the hosting (larger fee)

My query is as follows:

1. Is it possible to get a small amount of hosting somewhere, that's just tailored towards email addresses? i.e. is there a whole load of unneccesary stuff that I'd be paying for with the webhosting, that I won't need for just email?

2. If I register two domains - gavney@ABC.com & gavney@ABC.co.uk, can I just pay for ONE hosting, and share it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

I think google offer a service that you are talking about using Google organisation

Edit: Try here http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

There are various versions, standard premier etc, you can sign up here http://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new $10 for a .com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

1) Yep, I've seen some hosting companies offer a cut down hosting package (sometimes for free) along with the domain name registration.

2) It's definitely possible, but it depends on the hosting arrangement in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

If its just email any company I've ever registered with generally provide a multiple forwarding option which forwards all the mail to another email account e.g. gmail/eircom/yahoo for you to pick up...

I'm not sure about NS mind you .. but check in the options, at the very least there should be a "catchall" which will forward all mail to a single address.

Advertisement