Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vetrans Housing

• 30-05-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I might be able to access any information on houses provided to some soldiers here in Ireland after the war. In the specific case I am looking at, it would have been in about 1923(if that could be right) and was looked after by Major LeFroy, in Killaloe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 herself_there

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I might be able to access any information on houses provided to some soldiers here in Ireland after the war. In the specific case I am looking at, it would have been in about 1923(if that could be right) and was looked after by Major LeFroy, in Killaloe.

I'd be interested in this too! I tried getting infornation for a (now ruined) building that i know my family lived in briefly after the husband returned injured from WW1. The military archives said it was an old RIC barracks and knew no more and suggested i contact the local library. They, in turn, were very helpful but were unable to locate much more info on it. My guess is that any records that may exist for this practice of giving property to the soldiers, are probably in the military archives in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

Houses were provided for returning WWl veterans under the Houses for Heroes scheme. The Irish Soldiers and Sailors Land Trust provided nearly 3000 houses throughout the country. The largest development was in Killester (289 houses).
    I've a couple of articles I can email, just drop me a pm if you want them.

Advertisement