Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

• 02-01-2011 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

A title to motivate the stubbornness within – I do not want to fail on this.

Connemarathon – 14 weeks. It’ll be my first time running in Connemara. It’ll be my first marathon. Will it be the biggest mistake I’ve ever made? Hopefully not. I’ve decided to buck up and commit 100% as I will have only myself to blame if it all goes to pot. So from now on I will train hard, I will eat better, I will drink less alcohol and more water and I will complete Connemara with a desire to run again and not the wish to hang up my runners.

I hope that this time 14 weeks, the discipline will have paid off and the regrets will be nil!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Best of luck missus, will be following this with interest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

14 weeks...aghhhhhh!! I think I am having a panic attack (if that's possible while you lie on a couch in front of the TV!):p

There seems to be a few of us aiming towards Connemara (although I am only doing half). My wish is to have no regrets also! Are you following a plan?

Best of luck with training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Good luck claralara. See you on the start line in Conn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

You're doing the full?! :eek: Good luck Claralara... I hope you have some good training hills lined up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So a new log eh? Best of luck with the training for Conn. You'll do great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

claralara wrote: »
    A title to motivate the stubbornness within – I do not want to fail on this.

Connemarathon – 14 weeks. It’ll be my first time running in Connemara. It’ll be my first marathon. Will it be the biggest mistake I’ve ever made? Hopefully not. I’ve decided to buck up and commit 100% as I will have only myself to blame if it all goes to pot. So from now on I will train hard, I will eat better, I will drink less alcohol and more water and I will complete Connemara with a desire to run again and not the wish to hang up my runners.

I hope that this time 14 weeks, the discipline will have paid off and the regrets will be nil!
    Enjoy the training you will be fine, put in the hard work :) . just make sure you enjoy the training and for your first marathon enjoy dont stress too much about times ect :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

So...not a good start. A veritable disaster in fact!

Stomach and chest were feeling a bit dodge the last few days and clever clogs thought ignorance and a run would sort it all out. Turned out to be an awful idea. Went out for the group run with the intention of 10 miles. Bailed out after 3.5 close to throwing up... not the best first impression I've ever made! I have some serious reputation salvaging to do.

I was pretty peeved and decided there and then that Connemara was off the cards. However while I was walking back to the car I gave myself a good talking to - s**t happens, I'll get over it. I'm going to stick with it and train for the full. I may have to reassess before the race but for the next 3 months I will be training for a marathon.

Great to meet a few faces even if it was only a brief encounter. I'm still alive anyway just in case anyone is worried...:o

The one good thing that came out of today was that the niggles in the feet weren't niggling so hopefully that will remain to be the case.

I'm going to follow a mixture of HH Novice II and Run Republic (Sub 4.30) plans - tweaked a little to suit life, work, current fitness level (:mad:) for a few weeks. Hopefully I'll be back on track in the not too distant future!

Plan: Week 1/14

Monday 3 miles
    Tuesday 5 miles slow
    Wednesday 3/4 miles fast
    Thursday Rest
    Friday 40mins Cross
    Saturday LSR 10 miles
    Sunday Rest

Monday 3rd
    3.5 miles - no idea of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great to meet a few faces even if it was only a brief encounter. I'm still alive anyway just in case anyone is worried...:o

Sorry you were feeling bad. Don't worry about impressions, I didn't even notice you were gone until a while after :(. Sickness will come and go but your fitness won't go as quick so don't worry about it. The good news is that the foot felt better, but I would go to a physio anyway just for peace of mind. Good to see you have picked up a plan, best of luck. Myself and RK agreed to do about 16-18 next sunday at 1pm if you're interested (the group will be going for their usual 10). We are also doing some speed stuff on wednesday but I wouldn't do that unless the chest clears up quickly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

We all have bad days.....I remember shortly before Marathon taper last year jcsmum had a really tough lsr out of the blue and yet she came out and ran a great DCM...Head down, keep notching the miles, the confidence will flow and you'll be amazed how soon you'll be grinning from ear to ear after completing your first 20 mile lsr....Make sure you come out again with us :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

New log girl so don't let one crappy run ruin your motivation - you'll crack Conn no bother to you.

Might see you in the Phoenix Park next week for the long run...and I won't have to worry about making a good first impression :D...sorry couldn't resist!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Don't worry, we all have bad days and as digger pointed out, I had a rotten LSR before DCM. It does shake your confidence (and sanity) a little bit, but you have put a lot of good runs in and they all count too. Focus on the positive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Don't worry you won't regret anything just stick to your plan best you can and you'll be just fine, :) We all have good and bad days.

Cheers for the posts above lads – great encouragement and support to a doubting Thomas.

So... for anyone who’s waiting with baited breath (:rolleyes:)... I did make it out for a nice easy run this evening. Only got out after 9 because I was working late i.e. I had a perfect excuse to bail! Dare I say that yesterday may have been a blessing in disguise? It made me refocus, make a plan and realise that I really want to this!

Tuesday 4th January
    5.08 miles – 9.25 Pace

I survived. And enjoyed it! :) Chest still not 100% but a good bit better. No nausea and no niggly feet. I have everything crossed that there’ll be no aches or pains in the morning but if there’s any sort of pinch at all I’ll definitely sort out a bit of physio. Anyway I felt like going on for a little bit longer but the new improved clever clogs said no - the plan is there for a reason!!

Still a fair bit of work to get the fitness levels back and I could definitely feel the turkey and Cadbury roses pounds bouncing along with me but with a bit of luck it’ll all sort itself out soon enough.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Myself and RK agreed to do about 16-18 next sunday at 1pm if you're interested (the group will be going for their usual 10). We are also doing some speed stuff on wednesday but I wouldn't do that unless the chest clears up quickly...
    Cool, Sunday sounds good - I'll aim to join yee for a few anyway. I won't lose the run of myself just yet. And I'll bring my gear into work tomorrow and see how the chest is. If it's alright and I get out on time I'll head up to yee (maybe just for some 400's though...).

digger2d2 wrote: »
    We all have bad days.....I remember shortly before Marathon taper last year jcsmum had a really tough lsr out of the blue and yet she came out and ran a great DCM...Head down, keep notching the miles, the confidence will flow and you'll be amazed how soon you'll be grinning from ear to ear after completing your first 20 mile lsr....Make sure you come out again with us :)

Thanks for that Digger. It definitely egged me on to get out again today! And i'll certainly be joining yee again - as I said, there's some reputation salvaging to be done! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Still a fair bit of work to get the fitness levels back and I could definitely feel the turkey and Cadbury roses pounds bouncing along with me but with a bit of luck it’ll all sort itself out soon enough.

I know that feeling!! :D

You are so right do one bad day does not mean an end to all the hard work you put in before (maybe thats the main/only (delete as appropriate) thing I have learned in past year of running!)

Well done on getting back out there...and even more so for posting all about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Nice log title :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

A little bit of advice from one who knows very little.

1. See a good physio even for a check up
    2. Run 2/3 x 20 milers in training (optional but advisable)
    3. Experience your first marathon - don't race against the clock.

Enjoy the whole experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

mrslow wrote: »

Jeez...Give the man a book on running and look what happens;)...From personal experience I agree with point 3. 100%

christeb wrote: »
    Nice log title :)

Cheers! It's completely plagiarised as my poetic capabilities don't stretch much further 'my new log' but I thought it hit the spot!

Good advice - keep feeding me titbits like that and I won't have to read my own books like the nerd I've been accused of becoming! I think this one will be a just-cross-the-finish-line job so I definitely want to enjoy it. :)

Another late night in work this evening. Why is it that this time last year when I was a lazy sod, work and life accomodated hours and hours on the couch, but now that I've hauled ass I don't seem to have minute free?!
    Only a short one tonight though so it wasn't too bad.

Wednesday 5th January
    3.83 miles - 8.56 av pace
    Not 'fast' as such but a little speedier than yesterday. I was pretty pooped which isn't ideal but it's good to see a teeny improvement in the fitness.

Just a small little piece of advice. I am not sure if you are doing it at present but for Conn in particular it will be important to get in some of your runs over hills. I dont necessarily mean hill repeats that you se on some of the more advanced programmes but more just to get used to running up and down hills. Ideally if you can fit some in around the end of your LSR's that would be ideal as it would simulate the tiredness you will feel when you tackle the big hills in the second half. Remember as well to try and get in some practice on downhills, its very often overlooked. You stress your legs very differently running downhill than on the flat or uphill.

• Advertisement

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Just a small little piece of advice. I am not sure if you are doing it at present but for Conn in particular it will be important to get in some of your runs over hills. I dont necessarily mean hill repeats that you se on some of the more advanced programmes but more just to get used to running up and down hills. Ideally if you can fit some in around the end of your LSR's that would be ideal as it would simulate the tiredness you will feel when you tackle the big hills in the second half. Remember as well to try and get in some practice on downhills, its very often overlooked. You stress your legs very differently running downhill than on the flat or uphill.

Cool thanks. I actually wanted to find out what the ascent was on this dreaded hill to see if I could find something similar to train on. There are plenty of hills around me at home so I've no excuse not to be hill-fit for Conn. Would it be ok to aim to start hitting them say at the end of January? I need to build the basic fitness back up first.

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Jeez...Give the man a book on running and look what happens;)...From personal experience I agree with point 3. 100%

Just to clarify - that advice comes from experienceeck05.gif

If I was quoting my book we'd be discussing Lactate threshold, VO2 max, max heart rate, strides, form, Aerobic conditioning, Biomechanics etc etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Just noticed your new log, good luck with it and the Conn training. See you on the start line :)

Cool thanks. I actually wanted to find out what the ascent was on this dreaded hill to see if I could find something similar to train on. There are plenty of hills around me at home so I've no excuse not to be hill-fit for Conn. Would it be ok to aim to start hitting them say at the end of January? I need to build the basic fitness back up first.

That would be grand, you dont need to do all your runs on hills just a few to get the body used to it.

To quote Chinguetti,'hills are your friend', 'pain is your friend', pretty much anything unpleasant that doesn't stop you running is.....your friend :D

To quote Chinguetti,'hills are your friend', 'pain is your friend', pretty much anything unpleasant that doesn't stop you running is.....your friend :D

Sadists!! I shudder to think with what other unpleasant things that don't stop you running you've encountered.

Sadists!! I shudder to think with what other unpleasant things that don't stop you running you've encountered.

I was quoting Chinguetti, he's into some mad stuff alright!:D

I was quoting Chinguetti, he's into some mad stuff alright!:D

"I have this friend...." :rolleyes:

"I have this friend...." :rolleyes:

Really? and what are they into?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

You'll find your own inner sadistic streak soon enough clara :pac: It's all part and parcel of marathon training ;)

Advertisement