Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

TRR wrote: »
    I ran both of them last year and while I had a shocking race in the Heath, I ran nearly 2 minutes quicker in Rathcoffey. On reflection I'd say the Rathcoffey course is a good minute quicker than the Heath for a sub 40 minute 10k runner and slightly more if your target time is over that obviously. Best of luck anyway

My target time well over sub 40 so should be minutes faster:D Have entered now and looking forward to it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Congratulations on a great win at the weekend CL. Make sure to come back and tell us all about it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

God, how long would an ultra report be?:eek:
    ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RayCun wrote: »
    ;)

Once she remembers to turn on auto-save on word this time :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    ;)

Probably AT LEAST this long :pac:

Really awesome stuff at the weekend. What those who didn't run don't realise is that the course was really very mucky and slippy this year. Consensus was that it probably added about 10s/mile to people's times (so about 5 minutes in total).
    That really puts CL's and Gary O'h's performances into an even greater light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Chr1st, don't ask for a race report or she'll be setting the alarm for 05:45 again :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nice photo/mention on the AAI website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congratulations on a fantastic achievement CL, what an amazing time. There is not stopping you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Many congratulations CL. A fantastic performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

So this bad boy has been resurrected and my secret is out... Yes I sold out and went (mini!) ultra! Believe it or not last Saturday was the culmination of about 10 months of planning and training, en route to which DCM was a huge goal, achievement and peak but not necessarily the main main goal... I guess a report and a proper update is in order?! ;) On my way to work at the moment but I might have lunch at my desk and start working on that word document!!

Thanks so much to everyone for all the good wishes and support. I'm absolutely delighted and still celebrating the high :):)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ASAP please....I've a shocking case of insomnia at the moment. Would like help sleeping tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭PaulieC

so sub-3 DCM was just an Aunt Sally ? Not bad at all...took everyone's focus away from Donadea.

Any chance we can get a change of log title here? I have been well and truly put in my box by this stage. :o

P.S. Rumour has it that your run (unlike Gary O'h's as was reported) was an Irish record. Nice one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I think tRR should be the replacement at this stage!

And well done again O! If that is the National record then even more bloody amazeballs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

belcarra wrote: »
    I think tRR should be the replacement at this stage!

And well done again O! If that is the National record then even more bloody amazeballs!!

I'm nearly 99.99% sure it's a NR. And don't be putting ideas into her head belcarra. As I've stated before ill be retiring when there is a chance of being chicked by CL. I'd never live it down. And that would be just digger taking the piss out of me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Could you give some sort of indication what lap your on with the race report at the moment ;)

Yeow! I did not realise it had been that long since I updated my log... Did I really not do a race report after the Donadea 50K? Well that's a bit of a shame. I've been in and out checking up on people's training/ranting/raving etc over the past few months but I just haven't had the time to keep a log updated. Maybe if I adopted a more ultramanly approach, that would be easier but let's be honest, who doesn't love a good looooonng update post?! ;) I haven't necessarily missed the logging of each and every training run; but I have been missing the general updating and chatting about training, races and what everyone is up to.

I could be here all night but I'm going to just try and fill in the 6 month blank as quickly as possible. I think I have roughly 45 minutes plus a 15 minute HT break plus 45 minutes of peace :pac:

So....Donadea was the big focus towards the end of 2013 and into 2014. I knew that to be in with a chance to run in the World Trophy 50K, I'd have to win in Donadea and run the qualifying time of 3:49:59 - that was the main goal post DCM 2013. I was in 3:45 shape on the day and thankfully no one else showed up to contest first position at that pace. More thankfully, my race went really well and I ran 3:43:16 - qualifying for the World Race and nabbing the National 50K Record to boot (that actually still hasn't been confirmed 100% but I think it's just the rubber stamp that's outstanding). I received and accepted my place to run in the World Trophy 50K and then took a 2/3 month break from structured training,but still running and enjoying plenty of races for fun over 5k/10k/HM distances. I didn't run one PB in that period (apart from a 200m one which is best left confined to the memories of the poor souls who had to witness it! :D)

By the time June rolled around, I was ready and willing to get stuck in and start ramping the training back up. I had a couple of easy base building weeks just to start getting the time back into the legs. I ran a 39:39 in Dunshaughlin and then the plan started in earnest. Without getting into too much detail at this stage, I've been running c.70 mile weeks and feeling pretty good. I had a horrendous 5K in Donadea (how ironic! - give me 10 laps over 1 any day!) and really struggled to run a 20:37. I managed to put that in perspective though - high mileage / no speedwork / Friday evening after a long week in work / pretty hot summer temps - and it's mostly forgotten at this stage. I was happy enough with my run at the Rock n Roll National Half where I ran a good hard effort of 87:07 for 12th or 13th position and was the first lady scorer to scoop the Team Gold. It wasn't a PB but a good indicator that things were on track. I did pick up a teeny bit of a calf/achilles strain in the couple of days afterwards and I very sensibly took a day's rest followed by a second day's rest when it was still tender. A bit of time on the turbo seemed to do the trick to stretch it out and I was back the next day for the long run sans the slightest bit of hassle or pain. Missing the 2 days meant I ended up with a 55 mile week and not the planned 70 mile week; however, the 55 mile week meant I managed 3 subsequent 73/75 mile weeks instead of a 3 week lay off! Lesson - listen and act upon the advice you would dole out to someone else in your position!

I ran the Longford Half yesterday and really enjoyed it. The plan was to run roughly 7m/m pace to get the race pace endurance in as part of a long run. But I was feeling good and the podium was in my sights so I comfortably put in a bit more effort to run 87:20 and nab 3rd place. A couple of recovery miles rounded me up to another 70 mile week so happy days!

I've mostly been enjoying the training - I guess keeping focus on the bigger picture and the amazing opportunity I've been given helps on the tough days. The training plan is going according to plan and seems to be spot on in terms of what I'm able and aiming for. Good job so far Coach. The Officer has been multitasking as a chauffeur/chef/photographer/all round supporter (mostly!:P)/travel agent etc. Good job so far Manager. The long run company and support in the form of the Stews (including the aule hag, the Juniors, the attention seeker and the frother) plus that from my own family and friends has been great and I am extremely grateful for that.

The weeks are flying by and the countdown is now into single figures...eek! The goal race is being held in Doha, Qatar on Friday 31st October and I'm mostly scared about the heat and humidity. The only thing is that all 20 of us runners will be in the same boat. Having such good weather during the summer helped but the change in temperature and the onslaught of the rain over the past few days has put the frighteners on me. I'm trying to see if I can get away for a long weekend in September even just to get 30-35 miles done in some sort of alien environment (in the heat and off a plane journey) but work is extremely busy and the budget/bank balance is geared towards the race trip itself so we'll see how that pans out.

I am going to try to update a bit over the next few weeks because I'll need something to keep me sane and there'll be a heap of people going through DCM insanity on here to distract me! :)

Change that bloody log title. It's not 2013 anymore :rolleyes:

P.S. you must be bored with Digger watching the match. Pass him on my condolences :p

menoscemo wrote: »
    Change that bloody log title. It's not 2013 anymore :rolleyes:

P.S. you must be bored with Digger watching the match. Pass him on my condolences :p

I was thinking something like 2013/2014 Eat my dust Meno.. How would you feel about that?! ;)

P.S. he's been sent to the pub - I needed some peace and quiet and to commandeer the telebox :)

claralara wrote: »

P.S. he's been sent to the pub - I needed some peace and quiet and to commandeer the telebox :)

He'll be in a foul mood when he comes back :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Heat? Plane trip? Mi casa es su casa!!! And my pool is open!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You're still with digger??

FFS :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good to see you back, get that coach of yours back on here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Looking forward to following your training. Hope it all goes well.

Definitely take DoryDory up on her offer, fantastic casa!! The heat and humidity can really knock the stuffing out of you. Prepare for it best you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Nice to see you back. Good luck with the rest of your training :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Heat? Plane trip? Mi casa es su casa!!! And my pool is open!!! :)

Don't tell the ossifer but I actually went off and priced flights... Unfortunately with all the expense this year, a trip to the States won't make the budget :'( Staying more local and heading to Spain in a few weeks for a few days - got a good deal. As much as we like to give out about Mr O'Leary, thank goodness for Ryanair!

I have an excuse to possibly splash out on a decent holiday in 2015 so I'll revisit the Stateside idea in the new year :)

Gavlor wrote: »
    You're still with digger??

FFS :pac:

He was hanging on by a thread until he started gathering brownie points by the truck load last week - he's really started to take his managerial role seriously! I guess it'd be unfair to give him the chop before Doha at this stage ;)

That said he could well be hanging on to me for the holiday and planning to trade me in thereafter... I am getting on now...

Had a good training week last week and enjoyed a bit of a rave on Sunday morning when, at 10:36am, I had just completed my highest mileage week of the plan (so far?)

I recovered well from the HM effort in Longford and given what was in store I aS glad I hadn't raced all out (the result probably wouldn't have been much different if I had).

Last week consisted of 2 recovery days, two doubles, MLR, LSR and MLR w/MP section for a total of 82.5 miles. I was extra happy to have gotten this solid week on top of a looonng and extremely busy week in work.

The MLR on Wednesday wasn't particularly pretty after a long day at the desk, too much coffee and not nearly enough water. I was gasping for the cold lemon water I knew I had in the fridge by the time I got to 8 miles. I don't really like doing anything more than 8-10 miles with the backpack but needs must and I tried to keep it as light as possible. When you're not feeling great, it's pretty soul destroying taking the 14 mile route for the 4.5 mile distance home!!

I had a half day from work on Friday so after an early start I managed to get myself on a DART out to Marthastew for a 1pm start to the LSR. (Unfortunately meno couldn't get a half day from work to join us ;)) I read MS's update and it makes the run sound far nicer and pleasant than my mind and body seem to remember so maybe I'll just leave it at that... Suffice to say it was character building - one of those ones we look back at when the going gets tough and we have to dig deep. The last 8 miles in particular were a slog and I have never been so happy to hear the Garmin beep for the final mile which clocked me at 64 for the week thus far. As a newbie to the 40foot scene, I found it difficult to contain my excitement and pain when I hit the cold water and the yelps didn't go unnoticed by the more learned bodies around - it was so worth it though. Digger was on hand for a lift back the Stew's where freshly baked treats and a delicious hot pot of tea were welcomed with open arms!! Come Friday evening, I had just enough energy to have my dinner and flake on the couch before hitting the hay at 9pm!! Par-tay animal!!

After 11 hours in bed, I was woken with an awesome recovery breakfast of poached eggs on toast and tea in bed (I swear someone has taken some feminism ranting to heart recently... Thank you Sisters Pearse!! ;)) and we headed up to Tymon to help out at Parkrun. I can only hope and assume that all the good runners of boards who have and continue to take part in parkrun events make sure they give back by helping out every so often. Teas good to catch up with Clowns who both ran well :)

I was still pretty wrecked and ate like a horse all day Saturday so after a short ugly recovery and a good dinner, I had another early night hoping for a miracle before Sundays run. It wasn't quite a miracle but it was a half decent surprise that I was able to move. This was 14 w/8@MP effort and boy was it hard. I was working unenjoyably from the off. Thought the route would be forgivable in terms of wind direction but unfortunately it wasn't. Coach had mentioned the possibility of cutting / altering the MP section after the heavy week so I knew I had an out... Told myself I could stop at 4 when a hill at 3 absolutely sapped me. Then I said I'd let myself stop at 5 if I pushed through. And then I came upon a left turn with a nice downhill so I said I'd go for that and stop at 6. Which I did. For 2 seconds. Before cajoling myself to do another mile (DCM's heartbreak hill!) knowing I had a light week ahead and that I'd be annoyed if I didn't. I hit the top of Fosters Ave at 7 miles so belted it down and called MP quits at 7.5. 3.5 very easy miles from UCD up to Foxer made sure I was well and truly ready for a very lazy Sunday. The naughtiness started with a delicious brunch with digs and pops and continued calorifically until bedtime!! :)

A very very easy week this week before a very very important LSR on Saturday. Legs not feeling so hot but I am hoping for wonderful things over the next few days!

(Aside - yesterday I learned a valuable lesson:- one should not eat an enormous Ferraro Rocher and M&Ms ice cream cone an hour before a run. Regardless of the fact that it's a recovery run at practically walking pace. It almost got very dangerous and messy!! Ugh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Regardless of the fact that it's a recovery run at practically walking pace. It almost got very dangerous and messy!! Ugh)

Ladies and gentlemen, we've found a 3 hour pacer for the 2015 Rock 'n' Roll Half ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

He was hanging on by a thread until he started gathering brownie points by the truck load last week - he's really started to take his managerial role seriously! I guess it'd be unfair to give him the chop before Doha at this stage ;)

That said he could well be hanging on to me for the holiday and planning to trade me in thereafter... I am getting on now...

You're only hanging on for his pension! Not long now...

Advertisement