Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sectarian attacks by Republicans during the the Troubles.

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Same thing tbh.

IRA have no concept what Republicanism means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    IRA have no concept what Republicanism means

True, but they've managed to hijack and corrupt the word so much that it's impossible for anyone to describe themselves as being a republican without being forever associated with the IRA.

Anyway, anyone living in the Republic of Ireland is a republican......(From Prof Murphy's recent piece in the Irish Times)....
    The term “republicanism”, never off the lips of Sinn Féin speakers, originally meant, from the 1920s to the 1950s, anti-crown and anti-commonwealth. “A mad republican” was then a common phrase. The usage gradually changed after the formal proclamation in 1949 of the Republic of Ireland as the description of the 26-county State. From the outbreak of the Troubles in the late 1960s, “republican” came to mean a supporter of a united Ireland in general sympathy with the IRA. But for most republicans the armed struggle dimension is no longer a factor since the Belfast Agreement.

Over the years when someone such as Martin McGuinness referred to “republicans and nationalists”, he was presumed to mean Sinn Féin and SDLP followers, respectively. As used today, the phrase suggests “republican” is superior to “nationalist” and, by extension, to common Joe Soaps in parties in the Republic. A feature of Sinn Féin rhetoric is its pervasive air of self-righteousness and sanctimoniousness.

But nowadays the distinction between “republican” and “nationalist” is spurious. Not only that, but we are all “republicans” now and the distinctive and exclusive use of the term by any political party (including Fianna Fáil!) is meaningless if not hypocritical. Every citizen in the South lives in a republic, we subscribe to a non-monarchial form of government, we are in favour of territorial unity by peaceful means (just like Sinn Féin) and we profess the principles of social equality and civil rights. In short, we satisfy all the criteria of being “republican”. So how can Sinn Féin constantly claim to be more republican than the rest of us? Go ahead, ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Same thing tbh.

Clear bias again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Clear bias again.

How is it? The Irish republican movement and it's entire public relations/propaganda are pretty much monopolized by Sinn Fein, widely accepted as the political arm and public face of the IRA.

I fail to see what your issue is with my point.

SF spun everything they could. They defended the shoot to kill policy of the IRA, but then lambasted the RUC and the British army for supposedly doing the same thing.

Look at the hunger strikes? It is widely claimed that the IRA ordered the strikers to continue even after their demands were met, so that SF could gain maximum political capital out of it.

Republican propaganda, the IRA, Sinn Fein, it is all one and the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Republican propaganda, the IRA, Sinn Fein, it is all one and the same thing.

Unpopular and distasteful those words might be to some who post here, but that is the way that most people who do NOT live in either the RoI or Northern Ireland view this cabal of [former] murderers and terrorists who seem, aginst all odds and evidence, to have somehow endeared themselves to a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 354 ✭✭pO1Neil

The thread was intended for less known sectarian attacks by Republicans not well known ones. Proxy bombs being sectarian or not is irrelevant, they were well known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Garbage Fred, absolute garbage. I take it that anyone who claims to be a loyalist such as the shankill butchers are representative of loyalists? Gusty Spence another loyalist condemned them which is weird because he's also a loyalist. Loyalist propaganda is a odd thing (by your logic anyway).

Lets be honest Fred you showed your true colours in regard to republicanism. You just can't stand the view point that Ireland should be a republic. Being a republican does not mean sectarian.

I don't know why anyone is responding to Fred Fratton at this point. It is fairly clear he is not interested in debating matters civilly. He is one of these Harrisite types that even 20 years into the peace process, sees Provos hiding everywhere. I respectfully suggest that others do what I did a long time ago and add him to ignore list. He is not doing the more level headed Unionist posters any service either when it comes down to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

porsche959 wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone is responding to Fred Fratton at this point. It is fairly clear he is not interested in debating matters civilly. He is one of these Harrisite types that even 20 years into the peace process, sees Provos hiding everywhere. I respectfully suggest that others do what I did a long time ago and add him to ignore list. He is not doing the more level headed Unionist posters any service either when it comes down to it.

Another one that has trouble reading I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Stick to the topic folks.

If I suspect people are trying to goad others or trolling on this thread then they will be infracted. Nobody wishes to read comments that are personalised against any board members.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

SF spun everything they could. They defended the shoot to kill policy of the IRA, but then lambasted the RUC and the British army for supposedly doing the same thing.

The RUC & Army were the ones claiming to be the "good" guys up holding the law. I'm pretty sure the IRA didn't have prison cells to put people into even if they would have done so.

There is an interesting documentary called "HItler's Britain" and how a secret guerrilla force of about 5000 was suppose to operate had the Nazi's conquered England. These British guerrillas didn't take any prisoners.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

pO1Neil wrote: »
    The thread was intended for less known sectarian attacks by Republicans not well known ones. Proxy bombs being sectarian or not is irrelevant, they were well known.

The IPLO was an openly sectarian force. Everyone knows the Kingsmill massacre but there were other attacks carried out by the Republican Action Force on a smaller scale. The Catholic Reaction Force (INLA cover name) carried out a few. There was a small group of Republicans called The Avengers who carried out a few.

Advertisement