Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WW2 bunker in Merrion Square park

• 14-07-2014 6:21pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Apparently in side the big mound I think.

Any photos of the inside of this??

Anyone ever been in it?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

This mentions a trench shelter in Merrion Square

I think the bunker in Merrion Square is a Cold War relic - rumour has it, it was built too close to the surface to be of much use in nuclear strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Jawgap wrote: »
    This mentions a trench shelter in Merrion Square

I think the bunker in Merrion Square is a Cold War relic - rumour has it, it was built too close to the surface to be of much use in nuclear strike.

The soviet target map for Ireland though in sense didn't have a direct strike on Dublin, but on Dublin airport (along with Shannon and Aldergrove) so it probably would have done depending on size of weapon used against Dublin airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

dubhthach wrote: »
    The soviet target map for Ireland though in sense didn't have a direct strike on Dublin, but on Dublin airport (along with Shannon and Aldergrove) so it probably would have done depending on size of weapon used against Dublin airport.

.....and the accuracy.

I worked in the UK in the early 90s and was involved in the finishing and fitting out of a Regional Seat of Government bunker - it had been planned and started in the late 80s and despite the end of the Cold War the decision was made to finish it off and use it as an emergency planning centre.

Anyhooooo......the city in question, like Dublin, has a river running through it and one of the boffins from the Home Office who we were talking to said the bunker was probably too deep - in the event of a nuclear exchange, it seemed, the city would, in all probability, have been hit by an airburst weapon which would have forced the water from the river and drowned everyone in the bunker because it wasn't tanked properly!

Advertisement