Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc Gaming

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Zillah wrote: »
    I use both Windows and OS X for different things on different machines. I take no part in the factional warfare people seem insistent on waging over them, and trying to dismiss me as a fanboy is both ad hominem and a strawman.

Earlier you said "The can, but that's about it. If you will do that separate partition with windows, you might play few older games on lowish settings" - implying that even on a Windows boot a Mac was somehow inherently inferior for gaming, which just isn't true. You've either got the hardware or you don't, Windows doesn't care who assembled it.

He ment the gpu in this MAC is not really designed for high end gaming, I thought it was obvious what he ment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Macs are ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Crosáidí wrote: »
    He ment the gpu in this MAC is not really designed for high end gaming, I thought it was obvious what he ment

He posted that before he even knew which model we were talking about so that obviously doesn't make sense. He also said "macs", plural.
    thread is yours, have fun.

You said that already. Post again if you want the last word.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Macs are ****e :D

Zillah wrote: »
    He posted that before he even knew which model we were talking about so that obviously doesn't make sense. He also said "macs", plural.

Yeah but i've never seen a custom build MAC, they 99% of the time dont have high-end GPUs

Whereas you can build a top PC rig for €650-750 easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Any of the new generation of iMacs can run modern games perfectly well at medium/high settings. Like I said, I have one of the lower end iMacs and I played Skyrim no problem. I'm not saying they're cost effective, but saying that old games on low settings are your only choice with a mac is clearly not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Using the Model Identifier and Serial Number it seems to be this machine. So an Intel E8235, 2GB RAM and a 256MB ATI Radeon HD 2600 card. Performance, unfortunately, won't be particularly good with new games cloud493.

That doesn't mean there aren't loads of other games to choose from however. If I were you I'd browse through Steam and keep an eye out for highly rated games which happen to be a bit older or don't look overly demanding visually, there's plenty of great deals to be had on some fantastic games. As for Starcraft, well the first one should run fine, the sequel not so much. You can get a demo of it via Battle.net though and give it a try. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Yeah but i've never seen a custom build MAC, they 99% of the time dont have high-end GPUs

Whereas you can build a top PC rig for €650-750 easily

You can build mac's they are called hackintosh's, also 650-750 isn't really a top end pc, I would say it is a mid range one, top end would be around 1000-1500 and enthusiast would be 1500 - infinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,821 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bottom line Cloud, if you want to play PC games, then get yourself a decent PC.

Limericks wrote: »
    You can build mac's they are called hackintosh's, also 650-750 isn't really a top end pc, I would say it is a mid range one, top end would be around 1000-1500 and enthusiast would be 1500 - infinity.

thats with monitors and all though and probably the the new Radeon 7xxx series GPU

• Advertisement

Sooooooooooooo lol at this.

Come to "building pc" forum on boards.ie, then post something taken out of the arse.

If we build pc for 1k eu then it is high end monster gamer ultra "you have too much money son" machine. Anything above 1k eu - you are mad bro.

600-800eu gets you a high end pc, which will play any game on 1080p.

As mentioned before, OPs machine is very old. No matter what brand it is.. Is it apple, pear, orange or rat box. Hardware is old, but you might try get some older games indeed.

If op really wants to start pc gaming, then he can build a new pc ( not mac ) , which is not that stupidly expencive these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Wossack

surprised by your 'lol' at Limericks, not too sure whats so wrong about it.. note he says 'top end pc', not 'top end gaming' machine

I know a lad with an 8000e pc, for example

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Once you go above a grand your into the realm of uber PCs with 8gb plus of ram. Although that's just for the box and not including peripherals.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Once you go above a grand your into the realm of uber PCs with 8gb plus of ram. Although that's just for the box and not including peripherals.

Ram is cheap as chips these days, so it's not an indicator of uber pc m8. 8gb ram is like 36eu. We put 8gb ram even in to med spec pcs. Pc gaming got to the point where gpu is doing most of the work. CPU is playing secondary role now and max you need ram for gaming pc - 4gb, but as mentioned before, ram is so cheap, it is a sin not to take 8gb, unless you going for budget gaming pc for 400eu.

Keyboard and mouse can be gotten for 20eu, most monitors have speakers built in or even if you use tv you get sound by hdmi cable too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ScumLord wrote: »

You seen the price of RAM these days? You might as well put 8GB of RAM in a machine since it's going for such low prices. Going for anything less than 8 is a false economy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Wossack wrote: »
    I know a lad with an 8000e pc, for example

Did he have to sign an anti-terrorist agreement for that kind of PC!

All in i paid €870 for my PC 2 weeks ago and I'm running Skyrim on Ultra/1080p, which includes a new 1080p monitor...but I do think you could get very high settings for €200 less. I really should borrow Skyrim for the Xbox to compare but when my family saw it running on the TV -they don't really pay attention to detail- they immediately noticed how much smoother and sharper it was.

Anyway, highly recommend starting up a thread seeing what you can get for the cash you have in the B&U forum :)

Sooooooooooooo lol at this.

Come to "building pc" forum on boards.ie, then post something taken out of the arse.

If we build pc for 1k eu then it is high end monster gamer ultra "you have too much money son" machine. Anything above 1k eu - you are mad bro.

600-800eu gets you a high end pc, which will play any game on 1080p.

As mentioned before, OPs machine is very old. No matter what brand it is.. Is it apple, pear, orange or rat box. Hardware is old, but you might try get some older games indeed.

If op really wants to start pc gaming, then he can build a new pc ( not mac ) , which is not that stupidly expencive these days.

600-800 gets you a mid range range pc in my eyes. But I should of expanded on what I thought a mid range pc was. In my prices I was including the price of monitors and peripherals. 600-800 being the mid range including a 20 inch or so monitor and high end being 24 inch 3d and enthusiast getting into eyefinity with multiple gpu's

Also you need to work on your netiquette.

For 800 euro you are not going to get ivy bridge and kepler components are you? You are not going to get a 7970, these are considered the high end components. So 600-800 is mid range.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Can't really disagree with that tbh, mine cost me about 900 sterling just before christmas and i wouldn't consider it high end. 22inch monitor/perhiferals included.

A high end PC would easily cost 1200+ imo, not to say a 600-800 quid tower wouldn't beable to get max settings in pretty much every game tho, you can even get really good performance out of a low range tower these days fs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ram is cheap as chips these days, so it's not an indicator of uber pc m8. 8gb ram is like 36eu. We put 8gb ram even in to med spec pcs.
    I suppose there is another factor too which is the quality of the parts. As this was a work PC I wanted to put quality parts in it and was willing to spend more based on previous experience with cheaper parts. It wasn't so much that cheaper parts are completely unreliable or anything but even from the point of view of upgrading in the future having a good well made case makes a world of difference.

I have been left with an uber PC though, 16gb of ram, SSD OS drive, raid storage drives, i7 2600K. Compared to the PC I upgraded from (which was no slouch) the speed increase is incredible. But I've really been building this rig for years, nearly everything outside the case is years old and I've had the most of the hard drives for a while. I think once you get a good base IE: Decent case and motherboard, you can stay well ahead of the upgrade curve at fairly minimal cost and get 8 - 10 years or more out of a PC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I agree that 'high end' will cost you more than €600, but i'd also argue that high end is almost pointless these days. It's a luxury, that if you can afford is great, but for the vast majority of people it's pointless. Mid range will easily play any game that you could throw at it, at full settings. There is a very common misconception that you need to spend over €1000 just to be able to play any game, when that isn't even remotely true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I spent €700 for my build recently and it is creaming anything that I throw at it.
    I can upgrade the GPU in coming years no prob, wish that I had thought to get a MB with two GPU slots though. Ah well build and learn

Kiith wrote: »
    I agree that 'high end' will cost you more than €600, but i'd also argue that high end is almost pointless these days. It's a luxury, that if you can afford is great, but for the vast majority of people it's pointless. Mid range will easily play any game that you could throw at it, at full settings. There is a very common misconception that you need to spend over €1000 just to be able to play any game, when that isn't even remotely true.

this.

now we are in games section, so we will talk about high end PC for gaming. PC in general have no roof, the only limitation is your wallet. the way limerics put it: " well high end pc is expencive, and if you want some decent enthusiast pc, then it will cost you a leg and kidney."]

PC gaming does not need most powerfull PC on the market anymore. for example i5 2500k is THE MAX you need for gaming, you wont see any improvement in gaming with i7 or even EXTREME series CPUs, which will cost 7 times more. so for pc HIGH END is i5 2500k. you need 4gb ram for gaming, but it is so cheap so 8gb is best choice, which is HIGH END. there are new GPU generation out from ATI. it is expencive, because its new. 6 Series is still very powerfull. before 7 series came out 6970, gtx570, gtx580 were high end. these cards can max out any game at 1080p with solid fps, these will drop in price ALOT very soon. if you turn off AA it will be super fps. ( with such high resolution like 1080p you need less and less AA, i personally dont even bother with it anymore as it is making such little difference).

this is pc that i putted together in 3 minutes, if i will make it properly i could knock of price, or make better. this build is over 800eu, but it includes 22inch 1080p monitor, high end CPU, high end ram, high end mobo gen 3, high end gpu. you need to add 20eu on mouse+keyboard. ( i bought myself a very good microsoft for that money ). if you use your TV, then you can knock off 100 quid of price again. keep in mine hdd prices are overpriced as **** atm, because of the floodings in factories. you could normally get 2TB for 60eu, not its a bit off, but soon it will get sorted.

Total build cost: €867.66 + €30 shipping
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz €32.63
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W €52.51
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX €93.83
    Intel Core i5-2500K Tray, LGA1155 €191.73
    6GB-Kit Corsair DDR3 PC1333 C9 Classic €35.99
    Seagate Barracuda Green 7200.12 500GB SATA 3 6GB/s €79.00
    Powercolor HD6970 2048MB Dual-DVI €280.99
    BenQ G2225HD €100.98

so here you go, a PC which will max out any game at 1080p for 900eu. high end pc for gaming. i am not the best pc builder on boards.ie, the lads from " building pc" forum here will make better then i can and make it cheaper too, so this is only rough example.

this.

now we are in games section, so we will talk about high end PC for gaming. PC in general have no roof, the only limitation is your wallet. the way limerics put it: " well high end pc is expencive, and if you want some decent enthusiast pc, then it will cost you a leg and kidney."]/

I did not say that, please don't misquote me. The term expensive is dependant on the observer.
    PC gaming does not need most powerfull PC on the market anymore. for example i5 2500k is THE MAX you need for gaming, you wont see any improvement in gaming with i7 or even EXTREME series CPUs, which will cost 7 times more. so for pc HIGH END is i5 2500k. you need 4gb ram for gaming, but it is so cheap so 8gb is best choice, which is HIGH END. there are new GPU generation out from ATI. it is expencive, because its new. 6 Series is still very powerfull. before 7 series came out 6970, gtx570, gtx580 were high end. these cards can max out any game at 1080p with solid fps, these will drop in price ALOT very soon. if you turn off AA it will be super fps. ( with such high resolution like 1080p you need less and less AA, i personally dont even bother with it anymore as it is making such little difference).

Allot of the parts you mention are of last gen and have been replaced by the newer gen (mostly the gfx cards) While the nvidia range cards have not been replaced yet the will soon with the kepler series cards. A mid range PC would use last gen's technology. A mid range pc can play all games right now, but a mid range pc will get capped at the hardware level in a short few years as technology grows and since we are in the gaming forum as game graphics and computation complexity grows. I am not arguing that you can build a pc for 800 euro nowadays and it will play all games at 1080p out now and I disagree, I find having no AA to be very offputting even at 1080p but of course that is my own opinion.

this is pc that i putted together in 3 minutes, if i will make it properly i could knock of price, or make better. this build is over 800eu, but it includes 22inch 1080p monitor, high end CPU, high end ram, high end mobo gen 3, high end gpu. you need to add 20eu on mouse+keyboard. ( i bought myself a very good microsoft for that money ). if you use your TV, then you can knock off 100 quid of price again. keep in mine hdd prices are overpriced as **** atm, because of the floodings in factories. you could normally get 2TB for 60eu, not its a bit off, but soon it will get sorted.

Total build cost: €867.66 + €30 shipping
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz €32.63
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W €52.51
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX €93.83
    Intel Core i5-2500K Tray, LGA1155 €191.73
    6GB-Kit Corsair DDR3 PC1333 C9 Classic €35.99
    Seagate Barracuda Green 7200.12 500GB SATA 3 6GB/s €79.00
    Powercolor HD6970 2048MB Dual-DVI €280.99
    BenQ G2225HD €100.98

so here you go, a PC which will max out any game at 1080p for 900eu. high end pc for gaming. i am not the best pc builder on boards.ie, the lads from " building pc" forum here will make better then i can and make it cheaper too, so this is only rough example.

Where is the operating system in that build? please add 80-150 euro depending on what version of windows you want. Also if you go that cheap with a case you will have airflow and space problems no doubt. I am not familiar with that specific case but this is true in the general term. You will also be stuck for upgrading capacity with that psu.

If we're talking "high end", add a case which isn't a total ****house, a nice reliable PSU from Corsair or such and a reasonable soundcard and we can talk. :)

Also, **** 16:10 monitors for PC usage. Leave that 1080p rubbish for TVs.

I really wish Nvidia would hurry the hell up with Kepler, papa wants a new GPU. :cool:

I did not say that, please don't misquote me. The term expensive is dependant on the observer.

Allot of the parts you mention are of last gen and have been replaced by the newer gen (mostly the gfx cards) While the nvidia range cards have not been replaced yet the will soon with the kepler series cards. A mid range PC would use last gen's technology. A mid range pc can play all games right now, but a mid range pc will get capped at the hardware level in a short few years as technology grows and since we are in the gaming forum as game graphics and computation complexity grows. I am not arguing that you can build a pc for 800 euro nowadays and it will play all games at 1080p out now and I disagree, I find having no AA to be very offputting even at 1080p but of course that is my own opinion.

Where is the operating system in that build? please add 80-150 euro depending on what version of windows you want. Also if you go that cheap with a case you will have airflow and space problems no doubt. I am not familiar with that specific case but this is true in the general term. You will also be stuck for upgrading capacity with that psu.

45eu if you student. 80eu new. if you know what you doing you can get it free. :rolleyes:. fool parts with his money very easy. if you want to pay 200% for stuff, just because it says " HIGH END, NEW!, NEW GEN!, MAKES YOUR MISSES PANTIES WET!, 4 INCH IN 2 WEEKS! ULTRA! etc, then it your own fault.

550w psu can take 7970 card which is fastest on the market, so wheres the problem?

that sort of pc is a HIGH END gaming wise. you dont want to admit it, just because new stuff is coming out, which is NOT NEEDED, then it is your problem m8, not PCs.

45eu if you student. 80eu new. if you know what you doing you can get it free. :rolleyes:. fool parts with his money very easy.
    Pfft, I could get that PC for free if I just stole all the parts too. :pac:
    550w psu can take 7970 card which is fastest on the market, so wheres the problem?
    Output rating isn't the only important part of a PSU. There's no way I'd put in anything other than a reliable unit in a PC which is going to cost several hundred quid and will be pushed for gaming.

Totally agree on the CPU though. Although I'm loathe to have a CPU with an unlocked multiplier and not push it a little bit more with a better cooler. :)

gizmo wrote: »
    Pfft, I could get that PC for free if I just stole all the parts too. :pac:

Output rating isn't the only important part of a PSU. There's no way I'd put in anything other than a reliable unit in a PC which is going to cost several hundred quid and will be pushed for gaming.

Totally agree on the CPU though. Although I'm loathe to have a CPU with an unlocked multiplier and not push it a little bit more with a better cooler. :)

we put 550w psu with 7970 builds. its amazon quality psu, not a cheap 20 quid 1k psu ;). its expencive psu m8. trust me, i know about PSU m8, and i know that W means **** all. that particular PSU is spot on.

45eu if you student. 80eu new. if you know what you doing you can get it free. :rolleyes:. fool parts with his money very easy. if you want to pay 200% for stuff, just because it says " HIGH END, NEW!, NEW GEN!, MAKES YOUR MISSES PANTIES WET!, 4 INCH IN " WEEKS! ULTRA! etc.

that sort of pc is a HIGH END gaming wise. you dont want to admit it, just because new stuff is coming out, which is NOT NEEDED, then it is your problem m8, not PCs.

Sigh, there is no point in having a debate with you is there?

For your information, my pc is very mid range with a 965be processor and 560ti gfx card.

What I am arguing and you cannot understand it is that if you use last years technology and don't plan for future proofing and use sub par parts such as that psu and case then you have a mid range pc.

I already admitted that you could build a pc for 800 euro and play any game out there right now but what about the future? You can't possibly tell me that in 2 years time you will still be able to play any of the games out then at full graphics with everything maxed out at 1080p? Infact I cant possibly tell you if the latest gen can do that but you have a much bigger chance to do that with the latest gen and especially with the top end kepler which is 40% faster than the 7970.

Please also have a more mature stance to your argument if you want to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Can i just point out again to anyone thinkign PC gaming is super expensive and yadda yadda, i put together a PC in work that cost less than 200 euro with the following results

heres the mass effect 3 demo running on it too

I valued all the component parts on ebay for a grand total of something like 129 euro.

• Advertisement

Sigh, there is no point in having a debate with you is there?

For your information, my pc is very mid range with a 965be processor and 560ti gfx card.

What I am arguing and you cannot understand it is that if you use last years technology and don't plan for future proofing and use sub par parts such as that psu and case then you have a mid range pc.

I already admitted that you could build a pc for 800 euro and play any game out there right now but what about the future? You can't possibly tell me that in 2 years time you will still be able to play any of the games out then at full graphics with everything maxed out at 1080p? Infact I cant possibly tell you if the latest gen can do that but you have a much bigger chance to do that with the latest gen and especially with the top end kepler which is 40% faster than the 7970.

Please also have a more mature stance to your argument if you want to be taken seriously.

sorry, i have mature stance, because i did not called you name or insulted you etc. i just pointed out your view, which is quite spot on i can say. so once more, dont try to hide from this debate under " you are immature " excuse. and this is not an insult, incase you will go *sigh* again.

*puts down the monacle and top hat.

so lets move on. if 2500k is caping gaming and higher CPU that are out currently do not give any advantage, then what will be the point of ivy bridge CPUs ( so called NEW GEN ) for gamers? just to increase e-penis? 8gb are not being used out in gaming, games are coded for 32bit so they draw only 2.5gb max and 1gb from gpu on 1080p. so 16gb is for e-penis too.
    the only thing that matter for gamers - GPU. so heres a real world example, which i did:

i have old q6600 3gb ram pc 8800gt pc. it was bought 5++ years ago. i played all games on med/high settings so far. the only game that kicked it in the balls - witcher 2, which is one of the most demanding games out there. so i bought 6870 for 170eu and now it is maxing out all games at 1080p with solid FPs. yup, its old gen PC, but can it still play games with great quality? **** yeah.

i bought new pc in november: 2500k, 8gb ram, gtx570. all new gen stuff back then. Is it alot faster then my old pc? nope... was 1keu worth that upgrade? nope. would i build new pc, if i would not be a pc junky/geek who just likes shiny objects? NOPE.

my current pc is faster, but not that much then old pc, and its 5 years old machine + 170eu gpu. if i would put in gtx570 in to it, i doubt it would be bottlenecked much, as people put 6950 in to q6600 and it works perfect.
    the current 2500k are so powerful, that they will be still great for pc gamers in next 5 years, so why would i want new gen stuff? ( e-penis ).

if you want to call those PC mid range, then its your right, but it would be the same as going out there and calling BMW M3 a family car.

Advertisement