Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix now available on this side of the pond.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Was playing with the app last night on both phone and tab.
    She nice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

am i missing something here or do you need to link it to a facebook account to signup?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shaneob86

Random wrote: »
    am i missing something here or do you need to link it to a facebook account to signup?

No. You can also choose "sign up with my email" in small letters under the facebook signup.

yah just read the thread over in bargain alerts. i had to sign out of facebook first for the other link to show up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

You're missing something - you don't need to go through Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

you can use facebook or signup with your e-mail address - there should be a link to use your e-mail address in the same yellow box as the signup with facebook button.

or click here: https://signup.netflix.com/home?country=1&rdirfdc=true#useemail

yah just read the thread over in bargain alerts. i had to sign out of facebook first for the other link to show up!

this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

is there a bigger selection than what theyre showing on the website?

its looks rather sparse to say the least

most of the stuff does seem a little dated but i do think theres a lot of content there too. itll definitely justify 6.99 for a couple of months at least but i looked at a couple of things e.g. dexter and they only have season 1 and 2. thats just nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Loads of stuff I want to watch on it. Definitely worth the €2 a week IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

The usual ****e - not working on Meteor 3G

Sick of it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I keep getting recommendations for kids and disney movies when i said i dont watch them alot.

Movies seem to be heavily outdated. Might just stick with it for a couple of months till i get bored.

Its still pretty good value. A lot of movies there that i wouldnt bother or cant buy anymore but would love to watch or watch again.

2 yo yos a week is def worth it :)

Its legal too :) hopefully they will get more contant as they come along. I pressume as usual the US has all the good stuff.

its nice and responsive on my htc sensation with my wifi (upc 50meg).
    its definitely not as responsive using vodafone live but still seems stable enough.

I keep getting recommendations for kids and disney movies when i said i dont watch them alot.

Movies seem to be heavily outdated. Might just stick with it for a couple of months till i get bored.

Its still pretty good value. A lot of movies there that i wouldnt bother or cant buy anymore but would love to watch or watch again.

2 yo yos a week is def worth it :)

Its legal too :) hopefully they will get more contant as they come along. I pressume as usual the US has all the good stuff.

To be fair, remember in America there will only be one distributor to deal with, in Europe you have different licensing in every country. So it'll there's a lot of red tape to cut through

Some very good documentaries available on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bobby10_10

need a credit card :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

So far so good.. even on a 20mb connection its working well.

If they completed the collections of TV shows t would be better, someone mentioned just season 1&2 of Dexter and there's only 1,2 and 3 of breaking bad. No point in having incomplete shows.

Worth the money but unsure of whether ill keep it up after the free trial expires. I think it will do well here though, helped when they sort out licensing issues etc

Will be beneficial to people who dont know how to/dont want to download illegally

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

bobby10_10 wrote: »

This really seems to surprise so many people :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

bobby10_10 wrote: »

Just check out:

http://www.neteller.com/

Can I just mention the Neteller Prepaid Mastercard

No annual fee
    Usage Fees – Nil
    Top Up charges : – Free if done by laser or local bank transfer [But a 1.75% fee for top ups from a visa debit/credit card].
    $30 inactivity admin fee (after 14 months). [easy to avoid by any account activity whatsoever]
    Free Point of Sale transactions
    No dormancy fees

I do not work for Neteller or any Agent of Neteller.

This really seems to surprise so many people :confused:
    I noticed that.
    I'm using me ptsb current account card.
    A 3v card would be grand aswell sure.
    Seems to be loads giving out about needing a card lol

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    I noticed that.
    I'm using me ptsb current account card.
    A 3v card would be grand aswell sure.
    Seems to be loads giving out about needing a card lol

Its an internet based service provider. You obviously need a card.

I just use my visa debit from ulster and works fine. No need for a credit card or 3v cards

i see HBO have pulled all their content from Netflixs online service in the U.S.

plus Sony are pulling out of it as well.

doesnt leave much does it.

ill stick to Xtravision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

signed up even tho i think the collection of movies is pish poor, but as someone else pointed out, there does seem to be some good documentaries

is worth trying for a couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Will Netflix streaming cause broadband speeds to drag ?

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Will Netflix streaming cause broadband speeds to drag ?

Yeah. Depending on what quality you selected to stream them and how fast is your broadband :)

I have mine streaming on the lowest setting. Once something is watchable for me then I'm happy.

I sort of came a cross "Honey, i shrunk the kids" when i signed up :) jeez havent seen it since i was a little grass hopper. Was good :) Id say my gf will like it. Seems to have a lot of drama and girly movies.

Shell be able just to use her account while shes away.

Though while its good to have the option i dont see the point of netflix on a phone. Fair enough some people might use it on a tablet or a smartphone if they dont own a laptop.

But i cant imagine being able to watch movies using data. My limited 1GB allowance would shrink to 0 in 30 mins or less.

Even on mobile broadband 20GB will barely get you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

i see HBO have pulled all their content from Netflixs online service in the U.S.

plus Sony are pulling out of it as well.

doesnt leave much does it.

ill stick to Xtravision :)

What happens in the US doesn't necessarily have to happen here.

We get Dexter here while the US doesn't (as an example)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

This isn't working on Meteors mobile internet, which is a massive pain as I have the add on data so it's not like I'm trying to scam them on data..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

long_b wrote: »
    The usual ****e - not working on Meteor 3G

Sick of it at this stage.

This isn't working on Meteors mobile internet, which is a massive pain as I have the add on data so it's not like I'm trying to scam them on data..

Just give up, Netflix is never going to work right on mobile, it's not what the mobile network is designed for. It's designed for occasional browsing and email checking, nothing more. It's not really broadband (why it's called midband here on boards and has it's own forum separate from broadband) and it would be a fantastic mobile service if people didn't use it as a real fixed broadband substitute.

The Android app is meant to be used over wifi on a decent connection

Advertisement