Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloud type thread suggestion

• 27-04-2008 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

Have been going through this forum looking for my favourite pics about clouds, and in fairness there is alot of threads about clouds of individual events and seasonal captured moments of various type clouds.
    As this forum is getting large, it takes time to go finding that special shot someone took.

So i put it to you all.

1.Will i create a sticky dedicated to clouds of all types.
    2.Will i create a sticky just dedicated to congested clouds(CBs or Tcu) including timelapse.
    3.Will we leave it be and just carry on as normal starting seperate threads for each various type cloud pics.

Me personally would go for No.2
    Let me know.

Cloud type suggestion thread 8 votes

Will i create a sticky dedicated to clouds of all types.
    0% 0 votes
    Will i create a sticky just dedicated to congested clouds(CBs or Tcu) including timelapse.
    37% 3 votes
    Will we leave it be and just carry on as normal posting seperately for each event.
    62% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Snowbie wrote: »
    Have been going through this forum looking for my favourite pics about clouds, and in fairness there is alot of threads about clouds of individual events and seasonal captured moments of various type clouds.
    As this forum is getting large, it takes time to go finding that special shot someone took.

So i put it to you all.

1.Will i create a sticky dedicated to clouds of all types.
    2.Will i create a sticky just dedicated to congested clouds(CBs or Tcu) including timelapse.
    3.Will we leave it be and just carry on as normal posting seperately for each event.

Me personally would go for No.2
    Let me know.

2. sounds like a great idea. :) 1. sounds deadly as well as it would be good to have a thread to view and learn about various types of clouds as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

With my limited knowledge of cloud types etc , i'd have to say the 3rd option appeals more to me , ( besides can't see the clouds half the time here through the drizzle ) .:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I reckon individual events captures deserve individual "ooh" and "ahhs" and thanks, just like the brilliant snow pictures from the NE (and Naul!) last winter.

That said, threads with nice examples of congested clouds would be pretty cool too.

I reckon there's a place for both.

So in essence I'm sitting on the fence :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Apols for the confusion :o maybe i worded my 3rd option wrong, though in keeping with the thread title about cloud pics, obviously we will keep the oohs and aahs:p threads for individual moments but to see if the majority are interested in seeing a sticky with all types of clouds including CBs or just a thread containing CBs pics.
    All other nature and weather related will have its usual seperate threads :)

Edited my 3rd option but unable to alter the poll so my opening post will have the proper wording.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Would it be a good idea for mods to set up a 'gallery' of sorts (i.e. mods can only put up the photos) with the best examples of all differnet clould types posted by members in the general threads? Like a reference gallery?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Would it be a good idea for mods to set up a 'gallery' of sorts (i.e. mods can only put up the photos) with the best examples of all differnet clould types posted by members in the general threads? Like a reference gallery?

Second this, but only if mods have time

Of course thats no problem.

Basically, the one thread (gallery) with sub headers referring to that type of cloud?
    and a separate thread for all the congested towering and cumulonimbus clouds and associated phenomenon's that go with them(Gust fronts, shelf, wall and funnel clouds)

or separate threads for each individual cloud types?

Any more thoughts or suggestions on this?

Docarch and MM idea it shall be. Will create this soon enough.

Threads shall be created as normal by any poster and when a certain type cloud is posted, i will copy that into a sorta gallery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Snowbie wrote: »
    Threads shall be created as normal by any poster and when a certain type cloud is posted, i will copy that into a sorta gallery.

That'd be good Snowbie, as I anyway haven't a clue about the names of clouds that much. If I could make a suggestion:o, could you include the names of clouds (and whatever varient of the main cloud types are), their symbols, and what type of weather is associated with them. It is hard to find a decent detailed gallery on the net concerning this.

Hope to contribute some pics..

Stratus is my speciallity..:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That'd be good Snowbie, as I anyway haven't a clue about the names of clouds that much. If I could make a suggestion:o, could you include the names of clouds (and whatever varient of the main cloud types are), their symbols, and what type of weather is associated with them. It is hard to find a decent detailed gallery on the net concerning this.

Good idea about the symbols.
    The symbols are pretty limited to the major cloud forms, no harm in adding them to typical types seen in Ireland like cumulus, stratus (grrr) and nimbus varients.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Sure, thats no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Sounds good! I am the same as Paddy - wouldn't know the names of the clouds either, so a referance to them via a gallery would be cool! ("So thats what I snapped thread!!!")

Have setup a [thread=2055292607]Cloud Gallery[/thread] and will contribute and add to it in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

Hi, I don't see Undulatus Asperatus as a cloud type, or perhaps I have missed it? Have a couple of shots of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement